Colnago sizing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sc23

by sc23

Hi all

I have been offered a friend's Colnago CX-1 Evo frame, and before saying yes (and parting with my cash) am trying to work out how it compares to my current set-up. Am finding Colnago sizing quite confusing.

The potential new frame is a 54S (see chart below for the geometry).

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/Product/196 ... t-2011.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am currently riding a Condor, top tube length is around 55cm, headtube is 168mm. I'm running a fairly short (100mm) stem. I'm 5'11. Although I have been riding with this set-up for several years, I have noted that my lower back tends to arch a little when riding on the tops. Also I sometimes find it comfortable after a few hours in the saddle to rest my hands fully on top of the bars (i.e. not gripping the bar, rather 'steering' with the hands entirely on top - obviously I don't do this when I'm not straight-lining on a flat empty road!). My riding is almost entirely sportive-based (including the Etape etc).

Which makes me wonder if the extra head tube height on the Colnago, and the slightly longer (55 vs 56 cm) top tube would actually work nicely.

I should also point out that I am planning on doing a bike fitting at some point later this year, but (given that the frame is currently in Spain) I can't just carry it into a fitting and say 'will this work for me'. So unfortunately I need to try and 'work it out for myself'. Plan would then be to build the bike up with my current components, take it in for a fitting, and the adjust stem etc. accordingly depending on the outcome of the fitting.

Thanks for your help all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

You haven't provided enough information. To compare the reach of two frames, you need both the TT length and the seat tube angle, unless the STA is the same on both frames.

When comparing the head tube length, both frames should have the same type of headset (integrated or conventional press fit). If not, then adjustments need to be made for the headset stack height. Even then, differences in fork length can cause additional error.

One common mistake that places too much weight on the hands is a saddle that's too far forward - usually the result of relying on a KOP setup. I'd try moving the saddle back a little, but no more than 5mm at a time to see how it feels.

sc23

by sc23

Thanks for your reply.

On my current frame the seat tube angle is 73.5. Head tube length is 165mm. Horizontally the top tube is 55.5cm. The headset is a conventional press fit.

On the potential new frame, the seat tube angle is 72.5. Head tube length is 179mm. Horizontally the top tube is 56.5cm. The headset is integrated.

Am wondering if the 165 vs 179mm HTL in practice may not be so pronounced due to the traditional/integrated headset differences?

Any further thoughts gratefully received!

DaveS

by DaveS

A 165mm head tube with a conventional headset would have a stack height in the 190-195 range, which would be about the same as the Colnago, depending on the exact headset top section used.

The reach on the two frames should be nearly identical, since the slack STA cancels out the additional TT length. This assumes that the saddle is positioned the same, relative to the BB on both bikes.

c50jim

by c50jim

I'm with DaveS on the top tube. If you search on this site, someone posted something a while ago that helps you compare top tubes and seat angles.

On the head tube, in addition to the points Dave mentions, how many spacers do you have and how many are on the Colnago? Also, some recent Colnagos have come with caps between the top of the headset and the stem that are fairly thick and effectively equal a 1 cm (or more) spacer.

Since you say a friend owns the Colnago, what about asking if you could ride it? He's probably going to have to bring it back from Spain to sell it to someone. That's the best way to see how it fits if you don't have access to a professional fitter before you commit. I suspect a pro would start you on the 54s if you were buying a CX-1 from him but my Colnago experience is with the Italian ones with sizing in 1 cm increments.

RussellS

by RussellS

Your current bike is way too small if you are 5'11" tall. Unless you have extremely odd proportions, you don't have nearly enough reach. 55.5cm top tube, 10cm stem. Too short. A 56.5cm top tube could be made to work if you have plenty of setback in your seatpost. And you put a 12cm stem on your bike. 10cm stem? I'd suggest getting a professional fitting before spending any money on a frame. Get your current bike to fit first. Then use that to buy another bike.

To quote you:
"I have noted that my lower back tends to arch a little when riding on the tops. Also I sometimes find it comfortable after a few hours in the saddle to rest my hands fully on top of the bars"

slyboots

by slyboots

Now I just love internet fit experts.
RussellS, you didn't even see a static picture of the guy on a bike. Nothing personal, but your advice regarding stem and setback is bullshit, however getting a fit first is a good idea.

sc23

by sc23

Thanks very much all. To answer your question about spacers - am not running any (and wouldn't expect to do so with the Colnago)

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

FWIW I'm same as height as you and have ridden a fair few Colnagos. A 54s or 58 felt way too big for my tastes, like steering a tugboat. 55, 56 or 52s would be my choice. I have a 56 I'm picking up this week, will be set up for me with 110 or 120 stem depending on bars, 760mm saddle height and 105ish mm drop to bars.

Maybe contact Mike @ Maestro bikes, he's pretty knowledgeable. I let my fitter pick my bike but gave my measurements to Mike and he picked me the same frame.

Or try and get a ride. Always the best way.

Sounds like a 54s could be too high for you to me.

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

And yeah getting the fit sorted on your current bike, testing it for a few months then using it to choose a new frame is a solid plan. Pretty much went down this route, gave me a great appreciation of my own fit and preferences as I've applied it to a few different bikes since with varying degrees of success in terms of how it translated into a nice handling bike.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I'm 6' 1.5" and rode 56 and 57cm colnagos. I think a 58 or a 54s would be WAY too big. The slack HTA on the colnagos like a bit more weight on the front wheel. So a bit shorter in the TT and longer in the stem work nicely.

A 56 traditional colnago would be nearly identical in size to your current ride.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Just to add to your confusion, I'm 6'1" (185cm) with a 91cm inseam. I ride a 61cm C59 and find it perfect. I have a 62cm C50 and it is fine as well, although had I been able to get the C50 in a 61 at the time I would have done so. The balance between wheels is good at all speeds. I've ridden smaller, I've ridden larger. And as far as current Colnago sizing goes, the 61 traditional is my size.

The amount of weight you carry on your upper body should come into play as well. If you're superlight, you could probably get away with a smaller size (if that's your preference) and a longer stem. If you're heavier up top, and go too small, you will have too much weight on the front end and if you're in any kind of aggressive position at all (especially while descending) it can feel like it might be a little too easy to go over the bars in an emergency.

Just absorb what everyone says (different as it all may seem) and try to assimilate all that information as it relates to your body type and riding style, then throw that dart and pick a size. As long as you're in the ball park you're going to end up with a nice ride.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

FuelForThought

by FuelForThought

Calnago wrote:Just to add to your confusion, I'm 6'1" (185cm) with a 91cm inseam. I ride a 61cm C59 and find it perfect.

Just curious, what kind of stem length do you run on this bike?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@FuelForThought... Here's some stats regarding me and my bike setups as they currently stand. Slight modifications here and since their initial builds.

Height: 185cm
Inseam: 91cm
Saddle Height: 81cm
Saddle Setback: 95cm
Saddle to handlebar drop: C59 91mm; EPQ 83mm
Tip of saddle to center of handlebars at stem: C59 623mm; EPQ 615mm
Stem on C59: 3T ARX Team, -6, 130mm, with one 3mm spacer under the stem and above Colnago's tall headset cap which is 15-16mm.
Stem on EPQ: Deda -8, 130mm, with one 15mm spacer under the stem and above Colnago's tall headset cap which is 15-16mm.
Saddle to bar drop: C59: 91mm; EPQ: 83mm
Distance from tip of saddle to center of bars at stem: C59: 623mm; EPQ: 615mm
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com