Has anyone broken a 2015 Super Record rear derailleur yet?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skidmark

by skidmark

Hi,

I'm not 100% but I think my 2015 Campagnolo SR rear mech is a bit bent...

First realised something wrong when shifting to smaller cogs became hesitant. Initial thoughts were that cable was sticking or the pivots on the mech needed a bit of lube - but problems persisted...

Then I noticed that the bottom pulley of the rear mech was pointing towards to the spokes slightly - so I got my hanger alignment tool out and performed the appropriate checks - all fine .... Put the mech back on - bottom pulley still pointing inboard and shifting still rubbish.

The majority of the mech is carbon - apart from the main cage at the back and the pivots etc. I can't see any cracks in the carbon either. could that alloy cage be bent? I'm not sure how it could be ...

Bike has never been dropped or crashed since built - but it has covered 7000km pretty aggressively as i race a lot. That said - it's not like I'm a professional and my other Campagnolo equipment has reliably lapped up the kind of riding i do. This is the first time i've had a problem with anything from Campagnolo.

Absolutely no signs of damage whatsoever on the mech.

Anyone have any other ideas or tips on what to check before i replace the derailleur?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Probably need a new cable. Suggest you replace. Housing too.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Cable friction is a likely cause, but also pull back the shifter hood and check where the cable comes out of the shifter, especially if you are using the routing where it creates a fairly acute bend and routes the cable around the back of the bars. The cable can wear and fray using that routing, similar to the Shimano shifter cable issue. I never use that routing anhymore, after experiencing the frayed cables, and Campy has for some time now supplied shifters with the cables pre-installed through the less acute bend that routes around front along with the brake cable. Even if a bar has grooves for the cable in the back, I will just fill in that groove and route the shift cables to the front.

Also, check where the cables route around the BB cable guide. Do you use a sports drink that drips down there. I once fixed a shifter that the owner thought was for sure broken, and so did I when I first checked it out. The problem was nothing more than a bunch of dried sticky sports drink and road gunk accumulated in the cable and bb guide area. Cleaned that out and voila, good as new.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

stormur

by stormur

I found 1 SR '15 RD "bent". basically it was issue from factory state- outer cage of jockeys was not straight, it set lower jockey angled what caused noisy chain work and "eating" jockey wheel by chain. Dealer replaced RD, all issues are gone.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I had to replace a Super Record rear derailleur because the carbon fiber cage had deformed to the point that it was no longer functioning properly. The deformation looked like elastomeric creep had taken place.

This was the first iteration of the Super Record 11 speed rear derailleur. From new to the point of replacement was over the course of a few years though. It looked to me that the reason for the twist in the cage was from the constant load from the chain/tension spring.

I still have the derailleur on my desk, as its cage is still twisted. New derailleur solved the shifting problem. In my case, the part was out of warranty. For reference, the derailleur had never taken an impact.

TomColnago

by TomColnago

I think my 2015 record rear mech has this issue. when fitted to the bike it looks like its slightly leaned to one side but only when the cable is under tension

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I was meaning to bring this issue up a few years ago, when I first noticed the problem. Now I wished I had followed through, as it seems to be a real problem. Pissed that this expensive derailleur had such a short life.

skidmark

by skidmark

All very interesting stuff. I'm glad I'm not the only one as i thought i was going mad. The mech is definitely bent ...

TomColnago wrote:I think my 2015 record rear mech has this issue. when fitted to the bike it looks like its slightly leaned to one side but only when the cable is under tension

are you having trouble with shifting? is it noisy?

to get the mech to shift from large to small cogs quickly i have to tune the indexing so it's slightly out (loosen shift cable). Obviously, it makes an absolute racket ...

I'll have to see about getting the rear mech replaced under warranty. Trouble is, I bought it from Shinybikes - which appears to have gone out of business...

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I had not read about this issue before - hence the standard advise to check cable.

Would a 2015 Chorus RD be a better choice? Or are the cages the same?

Would not be the first time Campy has had an issue with the early production of a new part.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

TomColnago

by TomColnago

skidmark wrote:All very interesting stuff. I'm glad I'm not the only one as i thought i was going mad. The mech is definitely bent ...

TomColnago wrote:I think my 2015 record rear mech has this issue. when fitted to the bike it looks like its slightly leaned to one side but only when the cable is under tension

are you having trouble with shifting? is it noisy?

to get the mech to shift from large to small cogs quickly i have to tune the indexing so it's slightly out (loosen shift cable). Obviously, it makes an absolute racket ...

I'll have to see about getting the rear mech replaced under warranty. Trouble is, I bought it from Shinybikes - which appears to have gone out of business...

it seems a bit slower shifting onto my 12t cog but the other than that it seems crisp

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

After I discovered that the mechanical function of Chorus, Record and Super Record are all the same I went with Chorus, and swapped out the pulleys for Ceramic Speed. Shifting is no longer an issue, and has been perfectly reliable over this whole season.

The only penalty is a few grams of added weight due to materials.

The Aluminum cage is resistant to twisting over time.

ohhyeok90

by ohhyeok90

vote for cable issue +1

also it may cause from bad shift habit

numbers505

by numbers505

Had the same thing happen to mine. Bought a chorus rear derailleur and switched out the carbon fiber cage assembly with the one from the chorus. Haven't had a problem since.

skidmark

by skidmark

I've ordered a new Super Record rear mech and I'll be looking to send the bent one back to Campagnolo for replacement. I'll let you all know how i get on ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pottsy

by Pottsy

My Record RD has a similar tilt to it as well. Hanger is dead straight.

I have never gotten around to sending it back, But I haven't really ridden this bike that much.

I guess I will try sending it back & seeing what happens.