Cervelo RCA Vs. Trek Madone 7 Vapor Vs. Cannondale SuperSix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which would you pick?

Cervelo RCA
40%
Trek Madone 7 VaporWeight
17%
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Black
43%

Total votes: 128

jcumpstay

by jcumpstay

So - To me, they are all attractive framesets but which one is worthy of purchase in 2013?

The Madone & RCA are more aero framesets.

The RCA is the most expensive and is built around a BBright BB.

I really dislike the Madone seatpost setup.

Trek Madone Vapor Weight ~750g

Cannondale Supersix Evo Black ~655g

Cervelo RCA ~ 667g

Guessing that no-one will have ridden all three but there is surely a discussion here around specs on paper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

One of these frames cost 3 times the others...

sedluk

by sedluk

The lightest Cannondale frame with hardware that I have seen weighed is Neil Shirley's Nano, 718 grams for a size 54cm. Not sure where you are getting your numbers.

jcumpstay

by jcumpstay

sedluk wrote:The lightest Cannondale frame with hardware that I have seen weighed is Neil Shirley's Nano, 718 grams for a size 54cm. Not sure where you are getting your numbers.

Google found this - http://road.cc/content/news/61231-cannondale-2013-launch-655g-supersix-evo-black

sedluk

by sedluk

One of the things that we have learned on Weight Weenies is that we never put any confidence in weighs thrown around by a Cannondale product manager, product promoter or any other guy who has probably never ridden a bike. One of the great things about the Weight Weenies forum is that we can share info on actual weights of products before we buy them. Neil built and rode one of the new Cannondales, looks like a fantastic ride and no one that I have ridden with can ride one like Neil.

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

for comparison. I would have to go with the Rca, best in basically every regard (especially looks).

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Tough call. I would probably choose the Cannondale. The Cervelo is simply too much money for a frameset without custom geometry. Now if the Crumptom SL was on the list it would be a different story.

Martin1977

by Martin1977

I think that weight of whole frameset is the most impotrant number. Not just frame. I bought new frameset this year and when I planed weight of whole bike, I realized that even 150g lighter frame with proprietary 220g seatpost and heavier fork will be heavier as whole bike against standard frame with Schmolke seatpost and Enve or 3T LTD fork.
So I do not understand, why they sell super light RCA with Rotor crank, which is one of the heaviest cranks available. Is it possible to build Cervelo with any standard crank?

ras11

by ras11

All are great bikes! Although the fit options for the Trek would likely sway me to in their direction. Cervelo has their BBright, and Trek the brakes, neither ideal. The Cannondale also the most-standard in shape/look and setup, but likely the least aero (if that even matters).
:-) Toys-R-Us

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Cervelo RCA for sure. Much lighter frame than the Evo (any version that I have seen measured weights for), and far more aero.

Epic-o

by Epic-o

jcumpstay wrote:Cannondale Supersix Evo Black ~655g

I'm pretty sure that 655gr is Zedler's normalized weight so expect 30gr more at least

drchull

by drchull

That is an awfully tall headtube on the RCa.
I think the 3D is really heavy but the 3D+ cranksets are actually pretty good weight wise. There are some options though for swapping out that crank if you don't want the Rotor.
If you can afford to RCa why not a custom Crumpton, Parlee or even better the A2J bike.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Because none of those will be as light with the same aero. I know the A2J has some aero features, but not on this level

drchull

by drchull

I think you may be over crediting these bikes for their Aero-ness.
As you said SS is not aero and the other 2 have some aero features but aren't true aero bikes. Looking back at Andy's blogs he certainly gave a lo of consideration to Aero profile when designing the A2J.
Not slamming any of these choices, I just prefer giving my money to the boutique guys (and to be a bit of a hypocrite I am riding a Foil this year as came from the team and I wanted to try a true no compromise aero bike).
I think a Crumpton UL would be more than competitive with the weight of any of these.
That being said I love both the Cannondale and the Cervelo and would probably go for the Cervelo if price was no object. It is fairly exclusive given the limited run, it would retain value better than the other two and Cervelo is sort of a Canadian company. I just don't like the Trek, I am sure it is a great bike but not for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Gum's Crumpton SL was 680 grams after light paint and with just the derailleur hanger. The RCA has more hardware included in its weight of 667 grams, and that is the AVERAGE weight for a 54 cm. A bit lighter for the Cervelo, while including aero.

I mean, this is the unfinished weight... Under 600 grams for a size 54 (at least), and look at how massive that BB is in comparison to most custom bikes

They didn't spend thousands of dollars on windtunnel and CFD/FEA time for nothing...