SMP saddles how to get along with them (fitting/ angle)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

I was recently fitted and decided to try an SMP Composit. It looks disgusting, but seems to firmly anchor in my hips, however, I just can't seem to get it dialed in right. I was wondering if anyone else had problems getting along with an SMP and, if so, what you ended up on. They're weird and unusual, but supportive and have 0 pressure.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Tue May 22, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited topic title to be more precise.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

savechief

by savechief

I'm trying out a Dynamic right now, and it seems to be very nice. I used a book placed on top of the saddle to set it with the nose angled down 2 degrees (per Steve Hogg's recommendation in the linked article). I may try increasing the angle to 3 degrees down for the next ride.

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... bout-smps/
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

CharlesM

by CharlesM

It's just a saddle...

Your issues may not be the same as mine, but I couldn't make the fit work either.

No point in suggesting what does work for me though.

If you named a saddle that works well for you, people might be able to suggest similar shapes, but it's just a coin toss trying to tell you what will work based on a single saddle that didn't...

bricky21

by bricky21

I had to lower mine a little bit compared to flatter saddles such as the Arione or Anteras in order to get the same fluency throughout the pedal stroke ymmv.

KWalker

by KWalker

As I said I was fitted to that saddle as well, so the height is all good, but the angle and the model might not be. Curious as to what people came from and went to (if it didn't work)
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Dcgriz

by Dcgriz

I started with the Pro which was supposed to fit me based on the SMP chart. It was too wide and too cushy for longer trips. I ended up with the Lite 209 which fits me nice.
When I set it at -2 deg I had a bit more upwards pressure than i enjoyed so moved it to -3.5 deg which was too much as it was putting undue pressure on my hands after 40-50 miles. Moved it back up to -2.5 deg which is spot on for me. Very comfortable. The clinometer app for the smartphone came to be of good use. I used a piece of plywood to span from front to back.

Murphs

by Murphs

Mine is set at 5 degrees, it's a Composit with the leather removed

shadwell

by shadwell

Mine is a Stratos carbon, down 3mm or so at the nose relative to horizontal...
BUT...this is at static sag on my MTB race bike, so it looks really nose down when unloaded....
These are surprisingly good for MTB as the rear lip is ery effective at bracing aginst when seated power climbing....

So i would aim for 3mm drop on road as a starting point, but my hip angle is likely different on the road bike ...soooo
F*ck it... this can't be helping anyone.... back to work.. .

KWalker

by KWalker

I use that same ap with a metal ruler from front to rear. 2 degrees down was killing the front of my IPR, 5 degrees down and I was definitely putting all of my weight on my hands. 3 degrees felt better, but it just never has felt right. I've been using the Composit, which is unpadded and while the tail is definitely supportive, its a bit too jarring to want to use long term. The Dynamic never ever felt right and I tried every angle from -1 to -6 degrees in .25 degree increments. The Evolution was too narrow, and the Glider too padded. I'm just wondering if its not right for me and I should return to my trusty Romin.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Murphs

by Murphs

The Evolution and Composit have identical shells, the Evolution just has a ridge of padding on the top.

Although mine is set at 5 degrees, the actual flat part I sit on is angled back

KWalker

by KWalker

Murphs wrote:The Evolution and Composit have identical shells, the Evolution just has a ridge of padding on the top.

Although mine is set at 5 degrees, the actual flat part I sit on is angled back

If you caliper them and simply look at them they're not even close at all in shape. The Evolution is effectively 25mm narrower to sit on since the padding seems to be built up in a weird thickness. Hogg actually has some detailed info about this difference, but even the SMP rep admits its not even close to the same shape. Felt awful to me.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Murphs

by Murphs

I have both, stripped, the shells are the same.

ShortBusCruiser

by ShortBusCruiser

I have the Evolution and lowered the nose a little less than 2cm from level with the back of the saddle. I did switch from ISM Adamo with NO issues at all but the ISM did have a butt break in period due to my body not being used to the pressure on the sit bones. After 4 rides on the Adamo I was good to go but feel the SMP is better for a road bike because you have so much more room to move.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

I have a Forma and a Full Carbon Lite. I prefer the nose angled a bit upwards. Plants my butt in the curve more. Otherwise I felt like I was falling forward. Too much up in the front and the nose sticks into my bits when on the drops.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Murphs wrote:Mine is set at 5 degrees, it's a Composit with the leather removed

Why the leather removed? Any pics of what it looks like after?

I have an old Forma here that has the same shell as the Composit and am interested in seeing what it would look/feel/ride like without the leather. Don't like the stitching in the leather on the saddle as it rubs the shorts!

I have a full carbon version as well which is so much nicer to ride.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp