How programmable is the Campagnolo Super Record EPS?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ItalianRider23

by ItalianRider23

I have the opportunity to buy a roadbike with the above mentioned groupset. I´ve ridden it before but never programmed it, and the app doesn´t work for some reason, so I can´t try it to see what´s possible. So my question is, how programmable is it? I´m used to SRAMs Red etap AXS and love the simplicity of it (only one lever per side). Can the Super Record EPS be programmed to be just like that (one of the right levers = harder gear, one of the left levers = lighter gear, plus sequential shift)?

Thanks!

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

IMG_0859.png
IMG_0858.png
Here are the options.
Yes it has sequential shift (moves a set number of cogs when changing chainrings). I tested it once. I don't know of anyone who uses it.
Campagnolo has a number of options for shifter programs. I've never used any.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

joeyb1000 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:42 am
I tested it once.
Did you like it?

bikercr

by bikercr

I have v4 SR EPS. Using MyCampy it's highly customizable. The app itself can be tricky to link up with the EPS system. Early on, something got corrupted in my sign-on and i got endless server side errors. Took me a long time to figure out, but was fixed by deleting my account via the app and then making a new one.

Via the app, i was able to configure independently the speed of shifting (I prefer 'race'), the number of multishifts both up and down individually (i use 4 cogs larger and 3 cogs smaller), the time delay between holding the control button and the multishift occurring (mine is set at no delay), and the exact function of each button on both controls.

I did a ride with a SRAM-like setup. That was cool but i prefer the standard Campy lever setup because I've been previously racing and riding Campy mechanical for the past 25 years. Hard to break old habits. I find the normal Campy lever setup highly intuitive, especially when double shifting the front and rear derailleurs to soften chainring shift effects on cadence. Going from small to large ring I press both finger levers (right and left). Larger to small ring, both thumb levers simultaneously. This is the feature i most love about Campagnolo shifting and why I absolutely can't understand why Campy ditched the thumb levers for the new wireless group.
S-Works Tarmac SL6 (2019) w/Campy SR EPS v4 12-speed hydro;
S-Works Tarmac SL3 (2010) w/Campy SR 12-speed mechanical rim

ItalianRider23

by ItalianRider23

bikercr wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:12 pm
I have v4 SR EPS. Using MyCampy it's highly customizable. The app itself can be tricky to link up with the EPS system. Early on, something got corrupted in my sign-on and i got endless server side errors. Took me a long time to figure out, but was fixed by deleting my account via the app and then making a new one.

Via the app, i was able to configure independently the speed of shifting (I prefer 'race'), the number of multishifts both up and down individually (i use 4 cogs larger and 3 cogs smaller), the time delay between holding the control button and the multishift occurring (mine is set at no delay), and the exact function of each button on both controls.

I did a ride with a SRAM-like setup. That was cool but i prefer the standard Campy lever setup because I've been previously racing and riding Campy mechanical for the past 25 years. Hard to break old habits. I find the normal Campy lever setup highly intuitive, especially when double shifting the front and rear derailleurs to soften chainring shift effects on cadence. Going from small to large ring I press both finger levers (right and left). Larger to small ring, both thumb levers simultaneously. This is the feature i most love about Campagnolo shifting and why I absolutely can't understand why Campy ditched the thumb levers for the new wireless group.
Very cool, thank you! So it seems the app is quite capable. Shifting speed is something SRAM won´t let you change for instance. So just to make sure, when you say you did ride "with a SRAM-like setup", does that mean that you can program the left and right finger levers to change the rear derailleur? And which button(s) can you program to change the front derailleur? Does it have to be one the two other (thumb) levers?

bikercr

by bikercr

Campy is famous for "one lever, one action", something that makes shifting less error prone and more intuitive. Therefore, unlike SRAM you can't have the long levers behind the brake levers shift front and rear derailleurs with different presses (as in SRAM).

You can have the right finger lever shift up the cassette and the left down the cassette. The thumb levers then can be assigned the job of switching chainrings. This is how i set mine up as an experiment.

You also have the choice to eliminate multi shifting so each lever-press shifts only one cog of the cassette, which is the same as SRAM. Or, you can set a delay of any number of seconds so that multishift requires a deliberate hold of the lever before multishift. If you set zero seconds delay, it still requires a brief hold that is easy to modulate between one cog or more cogs. Plus, while multishifting, the shifts stay at an intermediate cog if you release the lever. So you can set up a max sweep of 11 gears but release anywhere along that path. Takes a little touch but you learn it quickly.

There's actually a sprinter's mode too which you can choose in MyCampy that replicates this. In a sprint from the drops you can hold the long shift levers next to the bars while you grip them tightly, then blip either lever to shift in full sprint with a slight inward finger movement without releasing your grip.

My own preference while shifting in a hard sprint is to use the right thumb lever to shift into a steeper gear(s) leaving all my fingers tight on the curve of the drops. That's just the standard Campy shift setup.

bikercr

by bikercr

Another option you have through the app is to setup autoshifting: so you can setup the finger levers just like sram but select gear inch points when the front derailleur (and rear) shifts automatically to keep a steady cadence. Then you only have to use the finger levers to use the full range of the front and rear derailleur gearing.

I tried this but didn't get used to the slight timing delay of front shifts and I preferred full control over that.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

ItalianRider23 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:46 pm
I have the opportunity to buy a roadbike with the above mentioned groupset. I´ve ridden it before but never programmed it, and the app doesn´t work for some reason, so I can´t try it to see what´s possible. So my question is, how programmable is it? I´m used to SRAMs Red etap AXS and love the simplicity of it (only one lever per side). Can the Super Record EPS be programmed to be just like that (one of the right levers = harder gear, one of the left levers = lighter gear, plus sequential shift)?

Thanks!
I would suggest a hard no on EPS. I had an EPS bike for a few months and sold it, for the first time in 20 years or more switching to Shimano. Campag are super behind particulalrly on the app side of things. If the web servers are down for instance you can't access your groupset.

It is not programmable in the sense that SRAM and Shimano is.

naavt

by naavt

I've never used any programming but one thing that I use with my SR EPS is the ability to fine tune the rear derailleur to every single cog (and you can make it to any single cog of all 12 you have on your cassette).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's something that Shimano and SRAM don't offer on any of their gourpsets.

ItalianRider23

by ItalianRider23

bikercr wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:17 pm
Another option you have through the app is to setup autoshifting: so you can setup the finger levers just like sram but select gear inch points when the front derailleur (and rear) shifts automatically to keep a steady cadence. Then you only have to use the finger levers to use the full range of the front and rear derailleur gearing.

I tried this but didn't get used to the slight timing delay of front shifts and I preferred full control over that.
Great, that´s exactly how I use my SRAM Red.
BenCousins wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:27 pm
ItalianRider23 wrote:

Thanks!
If the web servers are down for instance you can't access your groupset.
What do you mean by "can´t access your groupset"? That you can´t change a setting you already made or that it resets the whole thing to the factory settings and you can´t do anything about it?

naavt

by naavt

ItalianRider23 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:26 am

What do you mean by "can´t access your groupset"? That you can´t change a setting you already made or that it resets the whole thing to the factory settings and you can´t do anything about it?
See it this way: if you don't have a connection on your computer you can't access internet.

If Campy servers are down you don't have access. I've never faced this issue though.

Access to Campy app is tricky sometimes. Just be sure to follow each step. Pair your groupset with the QR code, press the mode button to wake the groupset up and it should connect from that point onwards

micky

by micky

Beside when it doesn't work anymore like in my case.

naavt

by naavt

micky wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:20 am
Beside when it doesn't work anymore like in my case.
Really? Weird! Try to pair the groupset again

BenCousins

by BenCousins

ItalianRider23 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:26 am
bikercr wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:17 pm

Great, that´s exactly how I use my SRAM Red.
BenCousins wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:27 pm
ItalianRider23 wrote:

Thanks!
If the web servers are down for instance you can't access your groupset.
You can't connect to the groupset via bluetooth to check battery or do anything.

bikercr

by bikercr

Wrong. Battery level check only needs a press on a mode button behind the thumb lever. You can do this without a phone and even while riding. Plus, with ANT+ most newer bike computers can give you a continuous battery level readout and also display your precise gearing with numbers or a graphic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com