Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 2:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:37 pm 

Record 11 speed pre 2015 gears work perfectly except the chain jumps when in the highest gear (50-11). It doesn't do it on the workstand and even under load it's intermittent. Ive tried two cassettes and the mech hanger is aligned. Ive not had a problem on a another R45 hub in the past.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:37 pm 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:56 pm 

Definitely got the 11t lockring, and not the 12t one? The 12t one works, but will lift the chain up off the teeth and cause it to jump in useā€¦..
Hopefully it's this simple!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:05 pm 

Only other thing I could think of is that maybe the high limit screw isn't backed off far enough, limiting how far the derailleur can move outward and perhaps it's not quite enough, causing the chain to want to "almost" pick up on the 2nd cog sometimes. That, or a cable that is too tight and in effect doing the same thing, limiting the range of the derailleur. And along the lines of cable tension... make sure nothing is binding or causing unnecessary friction (tight bends, internal routing squeezing things a bit too much, or a rear derailleur loop that is too short or all gunked up inside, limiting how easily the derailleur can settle into it's least tensioned position. In any case, can't see it really being a hub problem and suspect it's more of an adjustment issue.

Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:20 pm 

It's less likely but not impossible for a limit screw backed too far out to also cause the chain to climb teeth.

When working on the stand, there's very little load on the wheel, just working against bearing friction and inertia, so skipping isn't very noticeable, but if you pay attention and spin the cranks slowly, you might be able to see a link climbing a cassette tooth then falling. That will be more noticeable when riding.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:12 am 

The mech alignment with the limit screw is good. I already checked the lock ring and its 11T. Cables are all new and its a Pegoretti with clean external routing and has always been the best for gear function due to its stiffness. I wonder if the mech needs the lower spring tightening? I will try another wheel next. I don't normally use them but could a Quink Link be the cause? This would explain why its intermittent.

Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:12 am 

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:36 am 

Quote:
could a Quick Link be the cause?

If it's Wipperman and installed upside down - then yes. Other links are non-directional.

Or a stiff link/faulty pin installation.

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM