Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:52 pm
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: What BMC did I buy?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:45 am 

Hoping the BMC experts on here can take away the confusion around the NOS SLR01 i just bought.

So I bought a quite heavily discounted Team Machine SLR01 frameset, according to online bikeshop a "2012/2013" version. But now that I've received the frame i'm not quite sure what version it is anymore. From the research I did prior to buying it I learned that the SLR01 went from BB30 to BB86 in the 2012 version and from a expander type seatpost to a regular post with seatclamp. However my frame has BB30 according to the print on the inside of the seatstays, but a regular seatpost+seatclamp :?

Here's a few pics:

As you can see it also has 3 bolts on the downtube, which is something I've been unable to find in pics of other SLR01's..

So I'm now utterly confused, I'm sure it is not a fake frame, but it seems like sort of a mix up.. I'll also try to contact the seller asap but figured I'd get the straightest answer here.

thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: What BMC did I buy?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:46 am 

Looks like a 2011.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:51 am 

Thanks, I'm afraid so too.. but in that case they just swapped the streampost for another seatpost+clamp?

I just measured the inner diameter of the BB shell though, and it seems closer to 41mm (=BB86) than 42mm (BB30)

Here's a better pic of the bb shell, is there a difference in the way BB86 and BB30 shells look in a BMC?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:23 am 

why would there be a BB30 sticker on the chainstay if it's not a BB30 frame?

/Martin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:33 am 

Good point :mrgreen:, however at this point I don't know exactly what information is correct anymore
Dealer says it's a 2012 frame bought in a wholesale buy from BMC USA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:55 am 

Being a n00b when it comes to BB standards I didnt measure shell width at first, didn't know that is more discriminative between BB30 and BB86 :roll:
Anyway, shell is 68mm wide so its definately a bb30 frame.

Still strange it has the "newer" style seatpost though, and the 3rd bolt on the downtube (presumably for a di2 battery)..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:12 pm 

One last question to post-2011 SLR01 owners: does your seattube have a notch under the seatclamp?

This one doesn't, so I was wondering if it's like that on all SLR01's, or they've just stuck a seatpostclamp and normal seatpost in a frame designed for the streampost..
Feels kind of strange to tighten a seatpost clamp around a seattube that isn't notched..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:31 pm 

Except for the clamp one would think 2011.

Not sure who was their equipment sponsor in 2011, but in 2012 it was Shimano, so it makes no sense to have BB30. BB86 is Shimano compatible.

Since the stops in the BB shell are moulded in, you'll have no choice but to use BB30 bearings, rather than a conversion BB.

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:19 pm 

why not just flip the bike over.. check for the serial number and email BMC directly? maybe that would give you a better answer?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:39 pm 

Martin.dk wrote:
why would there be a BB30 sticker on the chainstay if it's not a BB30 frame?

/Martin

I have Wilier with BSA bb with HUGE Bb386evo logo on downtube :) Sometimes, some frames were out of "specs" in catalogue. BB86 in BMC is "bare carbon", your BB looks like their BB30, what inclines pre-2013 frame.

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:37 pm 

That would be too easy :beerchug:

addictR1 wrote:
why not just flip the bike over.. check for the serial number and email BMC directly? maybe that would give you a better answer?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:11 pm 

I don't think the 3rd hole is for a battery. I think it's to give you 2 positions to place the bottle holder. Low position if you only have 1 bottle holder, so most aero. And high position if you have 2 bottle holders, so they don't touch eachother.
Also, I prefer BB30 and an external seatpost clamp. So I would be happy with this model, whatever year it may be.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:43 pm 

Thanks guys. I contacted BMC customer service so I'm curious as to what they say.

@oswald: regarding the bottle cage bolts, sounds plausible, still strange though that I haven't seen this on a single SLR01 both on internet pics and in the flesh..

Fair points about the seatpost and BB. It's not that I'm not happy with the frame as is, it's just that it's a bit off from what I expected to receive based on the provided info and pics. The 30mm offset post doesn't really fit me as I run little setback, and the BB30 also isn't ideal as I purchased a ultegra 6800 group to put on there with BB86 crankset and BB.

@bikerjulio: so a conversion BB won't fit, but I can still mount BB30 bearings and use a spacer set to mount the 6800 crankset, right?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:10 pm 

That's a strange one.

All of the 47cm SLR01 framesets had three bottle cage bolts so that's normal. No worries on that count. It allowed a the user to have one cage with a larger bottle or two cages with smaller bottles.

That's the MY10/11 paint scheme and for those years the seatpost used the internal clamp mechanism. These framesets did not come from the factory with enough carbon material to even mount the clamp you have there. All I can think is at some point someone has added carbon material to allow a conversion to the external clamp, but then why haven't they slotted it?

I'd be interested to see if there are differences in the carbon inside the seat tube or in the paint finish. It's not OEM BMC at any rate.

All of these frames were BB30. The last four digits of your serial number and the month and year of production.

EDIT: Can you post a pic without the seat clamp on there?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:07 pm 

superb info, thnx!

The serial no is Y0510SLR470012, so then maybe it IS from 2012 :? ?

Here's some pics of the seattube