Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:07 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:10 am 

Looking at bikes/ frameset and innovations, i wonder why it seems it has been so slow lately.
Canyon had interesting concept bikes and a few others has done some things.
Madone has the Iso speed decoupler which stops the vibrations from fork going down top and down tube.
Time has the active fork and lately in disc version.
Look has their own system of blocking excessive vibrations in the seat post.
Bianchi run the countervail tech.

Otherwise it seems rather dull?

Canyon ran tests and claimed they were sure vibrations (micro) are one of the fatigue elements for all cyclists, no matter pro or amateur.

I have noted myself, running Lauf Grit that it makes a huge change.
I wonder when it comes to road bikes, why are they are so scared of doing changes.

What would you guys like to see in terms of inventions?

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:10 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:50 am 

In terms of comfort, wider and wider rims (Enve particularly) and tyres are the main thing right now. With the new Cannondales they have smaller diameter seatposts, but these haven't yet been more widely adooted. Seems like there's a lot of manipulation of existing tech, rather than breaking the mould. Adopting things like suspension forks messes with aesthetics, which is a big thing for a lot of people - there are strong beliefs about what a road bike should be.

I think wireless shifting will be adopted by all the big players, and it would be good to see that tech getting refined, made super reliable and hopefully cheaper.

I do wonder if this will remain the state of things until graphene breaks through into more applications.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:08 pm 

They don't need to incorporate traditional suspension.

They could use a fork with adoptable leafspring suspension or have a lamella construction for flex.
What you would think of suspension i don't know, but if you imagine you had it in such short range that it only made traction bettered.

You wouldn't need such design as for example, Calfee Manta or Pina K8-S.

You could also look at the layup and use a filtering layer to prevent microvibrations from wandering in the frame.

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:45 pm 

Maybe frame design theory will go the opposite direction. Instead of searching for stiffness, they'll start looking for the layup to 'spring' in a particular way and deliver 'free' energy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:55 pm 

wheelsONfire wrote:
Looking at bikes/ frameset and innovations, i wonder why it seems it has been so slow lately.

I reject your premise entirely.

Things are changing more now than ever.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:29 pm 

I'm waiting for the threaded BB shell to be "re-invented", and I also wonder what the marketing spiel will be?

Something along the lines of "ensure perfect bearing alignment every time, uses only simple tools"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:58 pm 

T47 is pretty much an updated threaded BB, looks like a good solution.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:02 pm 

androidavies wrote:
I'm waiting for the threaded BB shell to be "re-invented", and I also wonder what the marketing spiel will be?

Something along the lines of "ensure perfect bearing alignment every time, uses only simple tools"

It HAS been re-invented... T47.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:48 pm 

Try the new Specialized Roubaix (Roubaixes plural?). The Future Shock and everything else make that bike feel amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:08 am 

wheelsONfire wrote:
They don't need to incorporate traditional suspension.

They could use a fork with adoptable leafspring suspension or have a lamella construction for flex.
What you would think of suspension i don't know, but if you imagine you had it in such short range that it only made traction bettered.

You wouldn't need such design as for example, Calfee Manta or Pina K8-S.

You could also look at the layup and use a filtering layer to prevent microvibrations from wandering in the frame.

Invention can only go far as long as there is a way to market it IMHO. Same looking design (i.e. fork) with a different layup -- it is hard to convince people to think it is any different than its predecessor. Hence all those Calfee Manta, K8-S, suspension forks..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:14 am 

What kind of inventions/innovations are you looking for? A bike is still fundamentally a bike. our racing bikes today really aren't that much different than those 10, 20, 30, or 40 years ago. There have been lots of incremental improvements, more gears, lighter weight due to advanced materials, but still fundamentally the same.

Mountain bikes have evolved much quicker but mostly that is the addition of suspension.

Even with graphene or nano particles, we still end up with the same thing, only lighter. Maybe in 15 years an off the shelf bike will be 10 pounds, have 12 gears in back, be more aero, and ride on 32mm tires that have been shown to be the fastest. It's still going to do the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:03 am 

I wonder how much of it is due to UCI rules? What if a group of people (manufacturers + cyclists) decide to start their own thing, and have that grow at the grassroots level, will we see more innovation? What needs to happen?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:46 pm 

Guys, the bicycle has matured about a 100 years ago, with the exception of derailleurs which were basically on today's level 60 years in the past.

Since then, there have been some improvements in materials used.

The fact is, if you give someone who is a bit faster than you a decent bike from the early 1970s, he will still be a bit faster than you.

He'll have useful gears, cotton tires, a good fit, a bike under 10kg. It helps to remember this from time to time.

*edit* - so basically what AJS said.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:41 pm 

There's that fUCI bike:

If we can add fairings, we can reach higher speeds. Drafting provides (slightly?) less benefit, perhaps we'll have more breakaways that stick. Maybe achieving an aero position and putting out max power will no longer be a compromise for some. (??) With fairing around the wheels, perhaps the focus will shift from rim profiles.

I really wouldn't mind trying out a bike with fairings...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:18 pm 

In the mid '80s, there used to be a hip belt with a tether to the stem (maybe for 3ttt?) that raised power output but was shot down by the UCI.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:18 pm