HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:03 pm 

Hi All

Just want some opinion here as I'm somewhat a shimano guy.LBS local to me is somewhat dumping off this older EPS model. As an example it's priced the same as Super Record mech and slightly cheaper or equal to 9000 di2 locally. Is it worth to it? Had a test with an Athena v1 and is impressed with the shifting, not that I'm having issues with 6700 and 5800 on my 2 bikes.

TIA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:26 pm 
Resident Pro

i would go with v2 if anything. the v1 batteries had issues with them not working....in any event, shimano di2 is more user friendly and easier to adjust

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:26 pm 
  • 6.00 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 96 components

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:08 pm 

At that price I'd get it. I have had 3 bikes with EPS v1 and it works fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:15 am 
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

mike wrote:
i would go with v2 if anything. the v1 batteries had issues with them not working....in any event, shimano di2 is more user friendly and easier to adjust

v1 PUs didn't generally have an issue - there were some troublesome units but certainly all the Athena units were fine & Record / Super Record units apart from one discrete part of production were fine - and with even those, in that one period of production, nothing like every unit was affected.

The far more usual problem now, is whether the dealer has taken proper care of the v1 units - we are seeing a number of units where the retailer has not charged them regularly (despite the charging regime being talked about at the dealer training & a note about it being both in the instructions & on-line) and the battery inside the PU has been damaged as a result - but that can of course happen with any Lithium Ion battery that isn't properly treated.

This applies to v2 units as well, BTW - a lot of the box-movers, especially, are just not taking care of the PUs as they should.

As for ease of set-up - under normal circumstances, most users will do it very few times (unless they are "fiddlers") because you don't need to, anymore than you do a meproperly assembled mechanical or Di2 system and I think most aspects of user-friendliness are down to familiarity - I find Di2 a comparative PITA but I only look at maybe 60 or 70 Di2 bikes a year, whereas I work with EPS almost every day, either running dealer training or working on other forms of demo, or of course in our own workshops ... it's not that Di2 is any worse, it's just different and not what I work with every day so I am bound to find it more of a headache.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:34 pm 
Resident Pro

That certainly makes sense graeme. The reason I like di2 better is the front derailleur can be easily adjusted with an Allen key and the rear derailleur can be easily adjusted with a quick push of a button. Campy requires you to push button, wait until light flashes, then do micro adjustments. It takes much longer and I often would instead do the zero settingg to start over.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:08 pm 

Also, comparing EPS whichever version and Di2, and starting from the fact that both are reliable systems, the bikes an cyclist I have had experience with show that Campagnolo rear derailleurs are more reliable than Di2.

Shimano electronic derailleurs have a slight tendency to have resolver problems so they lose track of the position and ghost shift beyond repair. It's been improved in e-tube models but it's still there.

About installing/adjusting I'm used to both systems and it different approaches, but on both is set and forget. Campag is self contained, Shimano relies on a external unit that give some amusing possibilities.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:51 pm 
Shop Owner

I had issues with my v1 power unit. Campagnolo was fast at replacement.

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:51 pm 
  • 6.00 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 96 components