HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:19 am 

I have not gotten to the cablerouting yet, but i pulled through one of the brakecable and one shiftcable since you asked and it went through without issues. I will def keep the white liners for re-use when its time to change the cables. I think it would be hard to do the routing without them.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:19 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:35 am 

robbern wrote:
I have not gotten to the cablerouting yet, but i pulled through one of the brakecable and one shiftcable since you asked and it went through without issues. I will def keep the white liners for re-use when its time to change the cables. I think it would be hard to do the routing without them.

With a good quality magnet, it is really easy to route the cable. You will not need the liners :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:24 pm 

Thats a good tip, thank you. I will still keep the liners though, its not like they take up a lot of space.

For the other 069-owners out there, I was sqeezing the top and downtube today and i feel like they "squish" together quite a bit. When I sat on the bike for testing, it felt solid as a rock. Are your tubes the same way and what about other carbon frames? Ive only had one differen carbon frame, and that is a quite heavy and feels pretty thick. Its squishes together, but not as much.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:10 pm 

robbern wrote:
Thats a good tip, thank you. I will still keep the liners though, its not like they take up a lot of space.

For the other 069-owners out there, I was sqeezing the top and downtube today and i feel like they "squish" together quite a bit. When I sat on the bike for testing, it felt solid as a rock. Are your tubes the same way and what about other carbon frames? Ive only had one differen carbon frame, and that is a quite heavy and feels pretty thick. Its squishes together, but not as much.

I was wondering the exact same thing. I'm coming from an FM098 and wanted something lighter. Should there be any concern on the squish factor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:47 pm 

ToffieBoi wrote:
robbern wrote:

With a good quality magnet, it is really easy to route the cable. You will not need the liners :)

This is a carbon frame.

I don’t think I need to elaborate further for everyone here to infer the implications of your suggestion.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:04 pm 

Actually, could you please elaborate? I thought the magnet is supposed to pull the cable.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:14 am 

Liners are meant for the cable to rub against when in use. Without them, where would the steel cables rub against ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:49 am 

You are not meant to run cables inside the liners. No. Cables don't rub against anything.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:14 am 

REALLY .... ??!!

Then please explain how you get them to go around corners and bends while actuating mechanical motion. This is a NEW branch of physics to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:21 am 

maxxevv wrote:
REALLY .... ??!!

Then please explain how you get them to go around corners and bends while actuating mechanical motion. This is a NEW branch of physics to me.

often the wire comes out under the bb, and re-enter the frame just behind. still haven't seen a fram where the liner should be left in the frame, but it thats the case here, it´s a stupid construction considering friction and considering that the liner isn't rigid like a shifting hose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:32 am 

The cables will rub against something, somewhere along its path. Not matter how well designed a frame it is.

Deal with it as it should and not pretend that 'there's no such thing'....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:31 pm 

Cable will rub only under the bb, and that's perfectly normal.
Anywhere else inside the tubes, they design the enter and exit to prevent cable touch anywhere.
That's why, you don't need liners inside. I use them only under the bb to reduce the friction.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:06 pm 

The FM069 has a cover underneath and then there is a little piece of plastic that routes the wires to FD and chainstay. Finished the build today and almost everything went smoothly. The liners for the FD and RD should we on opposite sides, so i had to switch that myself, but easy job.

All done:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:50 pm 

maxxevv wrote:
REALLY .... ??!!

maxxevv, have you built a frame with internal housing? It is a direct, straight line from the entrance to exit points, or to the plastic guide at the BB. No need for a liner. At no point will the cable be rubbing on anything other than the housing (before it enters the frame), or the plastic guide which is designed to be used without a liner.

As a side note, there are a select few frames with liners built in, perhaps that's what you have experience with? Regardless, those are considered inferior due to the generally non-replacable nature of the liner and the inevitability of said liner filling with dirt, gunk, etc.

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:50 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:03 pm 

maxxevv wrote:
REALLY .... ??!!

Take your irony somewhere else if you haven't built one of these frames. Or any other internal routed frame apparently.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next