Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thprice

by thprice

BmanX wrote:For a 54cm frame, what is the lightest open mold frame available. I would like to build up a 1x build but want the starting point to be as light as possible without breaking the bank.

Suspect it maybe: LongTeng LTK118 (also available from ksm-sports.en.alibaba.com and www.velobuildmall.com frame:vb-r-077) although there is only a small history on this frame, ref: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113717&start=2025
I would also look at the tried and true and this threads namesake: http://www.hongfu-bikes.com frame:HF-FM066 SL

Trkorb

by Trkorb

rpenmanparker wrote:
OliverRB wrote:So finally ordered my frame from workswell....

Sent them the money via paypal, and they confirmed they had received payment, in that email they also confirmed the spec with me - however the confirmed spec was wrong and not what I had asked for...

I emailed them back to correct them immediately however they are now not responding to any of the numerous emails I sent to them... not good! If I get the wrong spec I'm not sure what I will do.

They responded to all my emails within 1 hour before I sent them any money. Now nothing.

Please explain what you mean by wrong spec.

They confirmed the spec as disc brake mounts, I asked for normal brake caliper mounts - Luckily the paypal invoice says caliper mount so hopefully I will be ok.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

thprice wrote:
BmanX wrote:For a 54cm frame, what is the lightest open mold frame available. I would like to build up a 1x build but want the starting point to be as light as possible without breaking the bank.

Suspect it maybe: LongTeng LTK118 (also available from ksm-sports.en.alibaba.com and www.velobuildmall.com frame:vb-r-077) although there is only a small history on this frame, ref: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113717&start=2025
I would also look at the tried and true and this threads namesake: http://www.hongfu-bikes.com frame:HF-FM066 SL

Similar to the Workswell.
Robert

eric

by eric

The LongTeng 118 and VB077 look like FM-066SL. They have BB30/BSA vs BBright on the WorksWell 066, and the shift cable exits the top of the chainstay vs the end as on the WorksWell 066.

Personally though I have a FM-066SL I like the looks of the WorksWell a bit more, though the bbright is a slight drawback. My 56cm FM-066SL wasn't even close to the 700-something gram weight one of those sites claim. More like 900 with hanger. The FM-066SL rides a bit too stiff in the front end or fork for 145 lb me.

Trkorb

by Trkorb

Well I finally got a reply after threatening a charge back on the credit card. Bike will arrive 9th May! With the right brakes too!

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

eric wrote:The LongTeng 118 and VB077 look like FM-066SL. They have BB30/BSA vs BBright on the WorksWell 066, and the shift cable exits the top of the chainstay vs the end as on the WorksWell 066.

Personally though I have a FM-066SL I like the looks of the WorksWell a bit more, though the bbright is a slight drawback. My 56cm FM-066SL wasn't even close to the 700-something gram weight one of those sites claim. More like 900 with hanger. The FM-066SL rides a bit too stiff in the front end or fork for 145 lb me.

The listed weights are usually for the 51 cm size frames.
Robert

speedyvelo1

by speedyvelo1

BmnX,

1. Weight alone is not the whole picture, there are other variable like the type of carbon fiber, layout etc.

2. I got the HongFu fm069 because this is one of the four or five well respected companies where users are in general happy with their product.
The FM069 is a very light frame with mostly made with T1000 carbon fiber. I am not an expert in carbon, but this fiber combined with others can produce a very strong and light frame. Of course is more expensive and that is why is not used in most of the frames.

http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_produc ... e-292.html

3, I am very close now to 5000 miles in this bike, going through very different terrain, rough sometimes, climbing, etc and I have no problem with it. As a matter of fact it has become my favorite bicycle.

4. Like a said before in this thread the major reason I got it besides the company reputations was the geometric profiles that fit me very well.

5. Prices of open mold are very comparable plus or minus U$S 200 so, for a frame that it will going to last you few years I think the most important issue (imho) is to get what you like and fit you and just ignore small different in price. Of course this is very different with brand names where the difference could be thousands of dollars.

glepore

by glepore

Hongfu claims low 800's for the 066, which is spot on for my 50. And it is too stiff in the front. Very rideable, but nervous over rough stuff downhill at speed. But nothing touches it at the price.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

sokre

by sokre

Any heavy 90kg+ riders on fm066 frame?
Any inputs.
Been thinking of buying this frame or waiting for new disc bike.
I do take a lot of climbing and descending so I dont know how would it fit.
Btw size 58 for 190cm and 88cm inseam would be OK?

nazzo

by nazzo

New user here. Thanks for all the info in prior posts!

I contacted Workswell about the WCB-R-066 and WCB-R-081 frame. They told me they now have a BB30 version of the 066!
Yet I am still leaning towards the 081 since it comes in a BSA bottom bracket and is a slightly more race oriented geometry with aero design cues lifted from the Canyon Aeroad frame (the geometries between it and the Canyon are different so they are not from the same mold). I need to run SRAM GXP and that eliminates the need to get a BB30 to GXP converter (and, most importantly, me having to press in bearings).
BUT they are confusing the hell out of me with their brake options. Has anyone heard of "x brakes" before? Their product photos might be mislabeled:
From squinting at that image it appears that what they labeled as V Brakes are actually normal road brakes with a single brake mounting point and X Brakes are the two point direct mount style.

Has anyone built up the 081 frame? Someone a few months back mentioned they ordered it but I don't recall reading any follow up on it.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

nazzo wrote:New user here. Thanks for all the info in prior posts!

I contacted Workswell about the WCB-R-066 and WCB-R-081 frame. They told me they now have a BB30 version of the 066!
Yet I am still leaning towards the 081 since it comes in a BSA bottom bracket and is a slightly more race oriented geometry with aero design cues lifted from the Canyon Aeroad frame (the geometries between it and the Canyon are different so they are not from the same mold). I need to run SRAM GXP and that eliminates the need to get a BB30 to GXP converter (and, most importantly, me having to press in bearings).
BUT they are confusing the hell out of me with their brake options. Has anyone heard of "x brakes" before? Their product photos might be mislabeled:
From squinting at that image it appears that what they labeled as V Brakes are actually normal road brakes with a single brake mounting point and X Brakes are the two point direct mount style.

Has anyone built up the 081 frame? Someone a few months back mentioned they ordered it but I don't recall reading any follow up on it.

More race oriented than a Cervelo R5 and a Giant TCR Advanced SL? How is that possible? When you say race, do you mean crit?
Robert

nazzo

by nazzo

rpenmanparker wrote:More race oriented than a Cervelo R5 and a Giant TCR Advanced SL? How is that possible? When you say race, do you mean crit?

The WCB-R-066 does not have the same geometry as a Giant TCR Advanced. The R3/R5, that the 066 copies, has a geometry closer to a compact road frame than a traditional race frame. The 081 has a longer reach and a more horizontal top tube than the 066.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

The R-081 looks good. The geometry looks very similar to older generation Look bikes ( 585, 595 models) which I really loved as they were really good for all day riding.

The only gripe I have is the use of a custom seatpost.
It may present some problems when you have issues with saddle offset position and non-circular rails for carbon railed saddles. And of course, it could do with a little less weight perhaps.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

nazzo wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:More race oriented than a Cervelo R5 and a Giant TCR Advanced SL? How is that possible? When you say race, do you mean crit?

The WCB-R-066 does not have the same geometry as a Giant TCR Advanced. The R3/R5, that the 066 copies, has a geometry closer to a compact road frame than a traditional race frame. The 081 has a longer reach and a more horizontal top tube than the 066.

Everything is pretty similar on the Giant except a little more top tube, you're right about that. My Giant and WW are set up just about the same with no difficulty. Isn't a compact road frame today's race frame...all over the major tours?
Robert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phourgenres

by phourgenres

There's no way to really prove these companies or using t1000 or even t800, right? Im looking at a sl frame myself. Dengfu is quoting me 550 plus 75 shipping, workswell bikes is 450 with free shipping on aliexpress. Sobatobikes on there is advertising a t900 sl frame, but when i look on the toray website, they dont even make t900!

When i email the manufactures claiming to produce their frames with t1000 asking how much t1000 they use. They respond with "all of it." Which is not possible! No frame can be entirely produced of ultralight high modulus cf. otherwise, it would be too brittle.

My main concern is theyre making them all out of t700, and just using less material on the sl frames, :shock: