Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric

by eric

I used one that I made in 2009 for an R3SL.

But I think pretty much any of the ones that bolt to the derailleur hanger will fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I use the chain catcher that came with my Red/Yaw FD.

Also, I now have about 2 1/2 months on my FM066sl (pics posted a few pages back) and it is fantastic. Can't say enough good about it. My only worry is replacing it in the event of a crash (totaled my SuperSix in a stage race crit a month ago.....), so I may buy another one as a spare.

GASer

by GASer

Mine has just arrived. Took 30 days but seems it worth the wait! Just 928gr for size 58

Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

spliid

by spliid

I will consider the lower bearing in the future. It's build up now and don't really want to take it apart right now since it seems like its only apparence, and you bearely don't notice.

Sykes

by Sykes

I am about to put an order in for a FM066sl and had a few questions:

1. Have most people spec-ed a BSA or BB30? I'm guessing BB30 as we are on a WW forum.

2. I have read there is a limit of 150kg and I am firmly below that at 92kg. But are there any Clydesdales who could chime in with real world feedback on ride or durability? I saw a few pages back where it was suggested that heavier riders might want to get a stiffer seat post, but would a stiffer fork be advisable too?

eric

by eric

I find the fork and front end to be pretty stiff. It's stiffer than anything else I have ridden. But I am only 145 lbs.
I got BB30 but I wish I had gotten BSA as I have GXP cranks and will be running them for the forseeable future.
I used a KCNC adapter/BB.

Sykes

by Sykes

Eric,

Thanks for that. If it's stiff in comparison to others then the front end should be fine. I'm also getting a new crank based power meter, so I'm free to go either way on the BB.

MortenE

by MortenE

Does anyone know if http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/ is only temporarily down? e-hongfu-bikes.com does not list the FM066Sl.. Whats whit the two different pages anyway.. ?

gjash

by gjash

I guess my previous response was censored but I would go with BSA unless you enjoy doing more maintenance. Removing BB30 bearings can be a pain compared to BSA.

Sykes wrote:I am about to put an order in for a FM066sl and had a few questions:

1. Have most people spec-ed a BSA or BB30? I'm guessing BB30 as we are on a WW forum.

2. I have read there is a limit of 150kg and I am firmly below that at 92kg. But are there any Clydesdales who could chime in with real world feedback on ride or durability? I saw a few pages back where it was suggested that heavier riders might want to get a stiffer seat post, but would a stiffer fork be advisable too?

Sent from my ISW12HT using Tapatalk 2

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

If you are willing to spend $30 on half decent tools BB30 bearings go in and out with little effort more than BSA cups. BB30 bearings seem to not last as long as their BSA counter parts (4-5k miles for BB30 in my experience), but once you have the circlips and shields all you need to buy are the bearings and they are dirt cheap if you buy them in bulk. I really like the BB30 standard and haven't had any problems with it, but others aren't fans of it at all, so it is mostly down to personal preference and if you want to save a bit of weight.

Sykes

by Sykes

My FM066-SL frame just arrived and I'm a bit miffed by the weight. It's a 56cm with BB30 and weighs 939g, out of the box. It has the rear hanger, braze-on hanger and internal wire covers attached, but nothing else.

I thought the 56cm should come in around 840g give or take 20g. Even if I take off the hangers and the covers I'm still around 910g, far over the range. Could I have been sent the standard FM066 and not the SL?

eric

by eric

My 56cm SL is 920g with hanger and cable stops. So you're in the ballpark.

840g would be in Cervelo R3SL or other similar light expensive production frame territory.

Sykes

by Sykes

Eric,

Thanks for that, I feel a little more at ease. I thought it would be closer to 840g as that is what all of the sites claim. Miracle, DengFu, HongFu etc. I guess there is always going to be an advertized "claimed" weight and a real weight.

eric

by eric

Or they weighed the smallest frame size.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

totoboa

by totoboa