Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric

by eric

The KCNC/enduro steel bearing model: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id355.html

I'm using it on my 066, works great, no creaking.

danny

by danny

russianbear wrote:Image
(bonus toe)

Hi, you can tell me where I can buy this seatpost?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChanceG

by ChanceG

eric wrote:The KCNC/enduro steel bearing model: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id355.html

I'm using it on my 066, works great, no creaking.

Thanks, Eric.

I will give it a go and order one tomorrow.

amey

by amey

I had this which I rode for about 300-ish miles and realized it was wrong reach and stack for me:

But then I lost about 15.5kgs; significantly improved my fitness and core strength as well as got myself a bike fit.
Bike fit made me realize I was wrong about the reach and I used to sit too far forward with no bend in elbows; example:

After the fit that same bike has 20mm layback seatpost and a 120mm stem 10deg with zero spacers. Will take pic at some point if anyone is keen.

In recent months/weeks I've realized that the steel bike in picture above is a bit too upright for me. I know I can just get a 17 deg stem.

But I am going to start racing soon and since I have spare FM066 I am going to build it up dial the fit in and race on it. Initially I was going to move everything on the steel Rychtarski to this (whatever it has at the moment was moved from the original FM066 build; oh the irony!). But i dont want to sell such a beautiful well made columbus max steel frame. Its perfect for British weather as it takes thick tyres and mudguards. So I have acquired myself a 7900 groupset which I am going to mainly use as gearset and brakes with Rotor3D P2M cranks and the wheels off rychtarski (kinlin XR200 on Novatec). I have some parts bin bars (Deda RHM02) and stem (3T ARX Pro) which are right fit as well. The original seatpost that came with FM066 was badly stuck in the frame which took me quite a while to take out. I guess it was due to 2 reasons; paint and no use of carbon assembly paste .. lessons learnt. It will now get a thomson layback mainly because its the only (cheap) seatpost I could find that was possible to be 20 to 25cm out of frame given that I need 74cm saddle height from BB.

Although the groupset is lighter I am guessing the version 2 of this bike will weigh same (or maybe more) than the version 1 given alu seatpost and P2M powermeter.

Last time round this was built by my LBS; this time I am doing it myself; i'll document the build and post the pics here.

dogg

by dogg

nice! good to hear you've figured out your fit and moved away from the 0 setback post and short stem setup.

you're old 066 is one of the few that convinced me to get one for myself. looking forward to your new build

Tobic

by Tobic

Hey there

after riding a FM098 for 3 seasons putting lots of km on it without any major issues, including climbs, rough roads, some amateur races including one or two crashes that didn't bother the frame at all, I decided to exchange the frame on my second bike for something stiffer and lighter - a FM069 frame. Before ordering a FM069 I would like to hear more opinions of people that build one and raced it/rode it for several thousand miles/km.

For instance, there was this report of "squishy" tubes, see below. Anyone having the same feeling?? I never encountered that on any carbon frame.

robbern wrote:For the other 069-owners out there, I was sqeezing the top and downtube today and i feel like they "squish" together quite a bit. When I sat on the bike for testing, it felt solid as a rock. Are your tubes the same way and what about other carbon frames? Ive only had one differen carbon frame, and that is a quite heavy and feels pretty thick. Its squishes together, but not as much.

Any issues with the head tube and fork? I have to tighten the headset of my FM098 quite a bit to remove all play of the fork compared to my 2nd bike from a big manufacturer. Like when you hold the front brake and push the bike forward, there should be no play between the fork and the head tube. I never checked whether its the Neeco headset or a general problem of the headtube-fork combination of the FM098.

There was a report about an Ultegra front derailleur issue. I currently run a Chorus front derailleur with a Rotor 3D+ P2M, anyone got some experience with this combination on the FM069?

amey

by amey

Take two of my FM066 (50cm):

Rides as nice as first time if not a little nicer due to some upgrades.
It now has Dura Ace 7900 with Rotor 3D cranks (soon to get Power2Max).

This will be now primary training bike and will get SKS Raceblade Long mudguards thanks to British weather.

Did a 50+ mile ride yesterday and looks like I might get rid of that 1 spacer too :)

Will report back as I ride more.

dogg

by dogg

are those the tubeless one's?

amey

by amey

no; clinchers .. 25c

amey

by amey

In full winter trainer/daily commuter mode now:

More here: http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/fm066-13865/#photo148063

7.5kg all in. Not bad at all given powermeter and mudguards !

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

This is my winter setup.

25mm Michelin Pro4 Service Course (28mm measured) tires and Ass Saver Extended.
I don't commute to work if rain is too much, so I don't need full mudguards. I also don't mind getting wet on my trainings.

7300 gram as its on the photo. Including Garmin.

russianbear

by russianbear

Tobic wrote:Hey there

For instance, there was this report of "squishy" tubes, see below. Anyone having the same feeling?? I never encountered that on any carbon frame.

robbern wrote:For the other 069-owners out there, I was sqeezing the top and downtube today and i feel like they "squish" together quite a bit. When I sat on the bike for testing, it felt solid as a rock. Are your tubes the same way and what about other carbon frames? Ive only had one differen carbon frame, and that is a quite heavy and feels pretty thick. Its squishes together, but not as much.

Any issues with the head tube and fork? I have to tighten the headset of my FM098 quite a bit to remove all play of the fork compared to my 2nd bike from a big manufacturer. Like when you hold the front brake and push the bike forward, there should be no play between the fork and the head tube. I never checked whether its the Neeco headset or a general problem of the headtube-fork combination of the FM098.

There was a report about an Ultegra front derailleur issue. I currently run a Chorus front derailleur with a Rotor 3D+ P2M, anyone got some experience with this combination on the FM069?

Have about 2500 on a FM069SL. I'm not sure what the squishy tubes are all about, i'm pretty sure the OP wasn't bending the carbon with his hands. Maybe he was confusing it with tire deformation or something.

I've had to tighten the headset quite a bit as well, like yourself. Currently running a campy veloce drivetrain with no issues on the FD. Can't imagine the Chorus is all that different.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Tobic wrote:Hey there

after riding a FM098 for 3 seasons putting lots of km on it without any major issues, including climbs, rough roads, some amateur races including one or two crashes that didn't bother the frame at all, I decided to exchange the frame on my second bike for something stiffer and lighter - a FM069 frame. Before ordering a FM069 I would like to hear more opinions of people that build one and raced it/rode it for several thousand miles/km.

This is FM066SL and Ultegra 6800FD. I have 52T chainrings.

No problems at all. I am not sure how different FM069 is, but you can have an idea.

Tobic

by Tobic

Thanks a lot for the replies!

dogg

by dogg

amey wrote:In full winter trainer/daily commuter mode now:

More here: http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/fm066-13865/#photo148063

7.5kg all in. Not bad at all given powermeter and mudguards !

i know I've already praised this bike, but damn that looks great, fenders and all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com