Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

trex021

by trex021

rms13 wrote:...for anyone else that built this frame with the included bb adapter or similar and Shiamano cranks, how many spacers did you use? I put all three included on drive side but now I'm realizing that maybe one is meant for non drive? I did have trouble dialing in FD so maybe that is why?

rms, I did not use the included BB. The spacers are for fine tuning your chainline to be 43.5 mm (measured from between the rings) to the centerline of the frame. I find it easier to measure 46mm from the big ring to the centerline. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html

To mark a centerline on a BBright frame (it's NOT the middle of the bottom bracket!), turn your frame upside down and put a piece of masking tape over where the bottom bracket is. Measure 34mm from the BB shell on the drive side and draw a line. http://bbright.net/bbrightdrawings.pdf

IMO if you are using all three spacers you're probably too far outboard with the chainline. If all this measuring is a pain just try removing spacers until the FD reaches the big ring and your shifting is good.
Last edited by trex021 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

RaymondD

by RaymondD

I used only one of the three spacers on the non drive side with the BB included with the frame. I'm using a Ultegra 6800 cranckset and have no problems with the chainline. I don't know how far the outer ring is from the centerline.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rms13

by rms13

RaymondD wrote:I used only one of the three spacers on the non drive side with the BB included with the frame. I'm using a Ultegra 6800 cranckset and have no problems with the chainline. I don't know how far the outer ring is from the centerline.

Thanks. Thats what I ended up with after using trex's tips for measuring chainline. So basically no driveside spacers and chainline is pretty close

Samps

by Samps

Just got my frame! 4 days shipping to Sweden. I have no experience with carbon frames but I feels good in hand. Nothing missing and everything was well packed, shipped as low value 150 dollars (paid 450 free shipping) so import duties wasn't that bad. The finish looks good from far but up close its rough and messy, not sloppy though as no details are missing finish.

Looks more dramatic than it is

Samps

by Samps

^that's not a crack just like a seam where the finish meets? Other pic

LeDuke

by LeDuke

My Enve carbon wheels have similar. Normal for UD carbon.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

That's normal for UD carbon. On semi-gloss / matt finish, its still pretty mild, it looks even more dramatic in gloss under good lighting ! :)

nohands

by nohands

is there enough clearance on a FM069/066 to run 25mm width tires? If not, what do you think is the max?

Marin

by Marin

You can run 27mm on the 066 with stiff wheels - I did on mine.

I read the 069 has less clearance.

shinzomaeda

by shinzomaeda

Samps wrote:How does campagnolo cranksets fit with the workswell frame? I have one on its way with the shimano bb installed but I now found a campagnolo chorus 11 crankset at a great price and am wondering if it would go well with the bb or what adapter do they need? Never had newer campagnolo so I don't have a clue really. Thanks

I'd be interested on views on this too. I'm keen to build up a workswell frame but with full campagnolo (Chorus 11s) and am not quite sure about the BB options.

Thanks,

Miles

mambo4833

by mambo4833

Did anyone riding fm066 from hongfu but you are weighted over 200 pounds?

Samps

by Samps

Oh thats good the hear! Then I have nothing to worry/complain about haha, really pleased with the whole experience. This thread has been very helpful!

trex021

by trex021

shinzomaeda wrote:
Samps wrote:How does campagnolo cranksets fit with the workswell frame? I have one on its way with the shimano bb installed but I now found a campagnolo chorus 11 crankset at a great price and am wondering if it would go well with the bb or what adapter do they need? Never had newer campagnolo so I don't have a clue really. Thanks

I'd be interested on views on this too. I'm keen to build up a workswell frame but with full campagnolo (Chorus 11s) and am not quite sure about the BB options.

Thanks,

Miles

There are guys on the Cervelo forum who run Campy cranks on their BBRight frames. I'm not sure what Bottom Bracket and adapters they use. I do know that BBInfinite makes a BBRight to Campy Bottom Bracket that is no doubt absolutely awesome and will work. They are expensive though. http://bbinfinite.com/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=59

So the answer is, yes, you can do it for sure with the BBInfinite BB. There are other ways, adapters, etc. but you'd have to go to the Cervelo forum to find what those guys do. I dug up a couple old threads (here's one http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/p/1421 ... 94891.aspx )

EDIT: Spindle diameter on the campy cranks is 25mm. The included BB on the Workswell is 24mm so they will not work together. You would have to replace the BB.
Here's a link to some BBright Campy cups. https://jet.com/product/product/23f76bf ... AlAr8P8HAQ
Last edited by trex021 on Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

HTML

by HTML

nohands wrote:is there enough clearance on a FM069/066 to run 25mm width tires? If not, what do you think is the max?

I run 25c Rubino Pro Slick's on my FM066 no problems. i have even run a 28c Kenda Karv (semi cyclocross tyre,sizes up around 26-27mm) on the front. Still yet to test it on the rear. i will report back. but i think it will work.

echtogammut

by echtogammut

I may try making my FM066 into a Cyclocross 1X after the front derailleur hanger came off. I was amongst the first to buy the FM066SL when HongFu announced it. It has been a reliable beast except when the front derailleur mount came loose after a year. This isn't an uncommon issue with Cannondale and other manufactures that initially opted to use two rivets to hold it on. So, I drilled out the old rivets and used a slightly larger and stronger rivet than HongFu. I combined that with some high sheer strength carbon/plastic epoxy. It got a few more miles before it ripped off when a bad downshift cause the chain to sieze:

Now it looks l need a new frame. I was hoping that the front derailleur mount issue had been fixed, however it seems that HongFu hasn't updated the frame since it was released. Most name brand manufactures have gone to a 3 pin (Cannondale) or 4 pin (Cervelo) design, some of the pictures of the FM066 front derailleur even use the Cervelo R5 photo for the front derailleur, which had me excited until it was pointed out to me they were just using badly photoshoped images of an R5CA. I really like the geometry of the FM066, but I am not the only person to have suffered this issue with FM066, so I am a little hesitant to order another. It doesn't appear like there is anything new other than the FM069.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com