Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lyot

by lyot

That's a great looking bike !

trychle

by trychle

Slcbrandon, could you tell me where you bought those bottle cages? I can't seem to find any place to buy them..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

trychle wrote:Slcbrandon, could you tell me where you bought those bottle cages? I can't seem to find any place to buy them..

PM me, my brother has quite a few of them and I can get you his contact information.

bmxbandit

by bmxbandit

Does anyone know if wheels mfg do a dropout to fit this frame, and if so which one? If not anywhere I can get them aftermarket in the UK?

Cheers

eric

by eric

I don't, but when you order through Velobuild there's a check box for extra dropouts.
They're cheap that way.

bmxbandit

by bmxbandit

I'm not buying from velobuild, but that may be a possibility to order extra from source, no doubt it will be the cheapest way, if not the most convenient. Thanks.

glepore

by glepore

Just a datapoint. Rec'd my 50cm SL frame from Hongfu gand have it built w/ DA7800. Haven't weighed the complete bike yet, but the frame itself came in at a respectable 836g and the fork at 359g. The seatpost was a bit porky at around 230, will probably find something lighter, have a Bold Ti one but am hesitant to use it on an all black bike.

Build was no drama, frame finish is pretty nice. Internal cable routing a typical pain, not looking forward to replacement.

Also purchased the integrated bar and stem, unfortunately forgot to weigh it.

Wait was around a month, but that was mostly due to the bars, supposedly.

Will ride it today and report back.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

JWTS

by JWTS

A quick question for any owners of this frame: has anyone fitted a set of Hed Stinger 6's in this bike, or alternatively could someone put a set of calipers to the fork and chainstays in the area of the brake track? I'm considering picking up one of these frames, but I need to make sure that a 28mm wide rim can fit in there. Thanks!

bmxbandit

by bmxbandit

@glepore though a bit late now, you should use a cable set with a line such as gore -it makes future maintenance much easier.

@jwts not tried a hed, but did try a 404fc(wide rim) and a campy neutron (wide spoke angle), both were fine with a 6700 caliper. Used a 25c gp4000 clincher for the zipp check.

glepore

by glepore

I used jagwire-nice kit complete w/ ferrules, endcaps etc. Issue isn't with the housing, its having to remove the frame caps and then grab the cable with a hemostat or something, particularly a pain at the bb area, as replace one derailleur cable means removing both.

Just rode the bike. Initial impressions are that the back end is uber comfortable-very compliant for how "sporty" the bike handles. The front end is very stiff, maybe a bit much in comparison to the rear. The steering is very quick, whether its too quick is a matter of taste. Didn't descend with it, so not sure how surefooted it is. It does accelerate noticeably quickly, particularly up little power rises.

It seems like quite a bargain for what it is, but time will tell.

I'll try to remember to check clearances tonight when I adjust the fit-I've got some that are 25mm on the way, so yeah, I guess I should check.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

eric

by eric

I used an old spoke to grab the cables through the access ports. Doesn't seem that difficult. I think you can keep both der cables in the frame when replacing one, just loosen the other to get some slack so you can remove the plate.

I concur with your comments on the ride. The steering is slightly slower than my Cervelo R3SL. It descends fine but I seem to be ok with a wide range of handling on descents. I thought my Vitus 979 was fine too, just don't make any sudden moves.

You might want to put some padding on the rear brake cable inside the frame. I didn't and mine rattles on the frame. I need to remove it and add some rubber donuts or similar.

There's a good amount of tire clearance on the frame.

Has anyone mounted a Quark on a BB30 one of these yet? Where'd you put the magnet?

bmxbandit

by bmxbandit

No I mean a kit with a liner that runs from the first cable stop to the mech, so future inner replacements slide straight through.

nsallembien

by nsallembien

I've got a Quarq on mine. I put the magnet just under the bottom bracket area, glued with a little epoxy glue.

I used to have it on the chain stay near the bottom bracket, but clearance was pretty tight in there, and it eventually fell off.

Check my intro thread here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=113843

eric

by eric

JWTS- about 40mm at the bottom of the brake track, front and rear.

JWTS

by JWTS

Thanks for the responses on the frame width and wheel fittings. The Hed 6's are just a touch wider than the Zipp FC's, and 40mm sounds like plenty of room.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com