Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

CharlesM wrote:We keep implying that open mold means the same care and quality of materials is used to stuff the mold...

There's a reason the R5CA is a lot more money than the base r5...

There's a reason the Top Mclaren Venge was 3 times the cost of the standard...

The quality of raw materials and the car in lay up make for massive cost differences in production for the actual reputable brands even in the same mold.

We're also ignoring the fact that molds degrade and get out of spec... Once that happens, the molds for a brand occasionally become "open"...

Visual similarity is creating a facade of quality and brand association way beyond what the reality is...

The busted chinarellos lined with newspaper were a great example...

Sorry, my post is a bit long, bear with me, but this post and some of the things stated are just plain wrong and misguided.

Are you trying to say that an "open" mold is defined as one that a big manufacture is no longer using due to it going out of "spec", and just let some company buy it and then make their own frames from that old mold?

There are a handful of well known manufacturers in China/Taiwan that have factories that produce, on a contract, the big name brand carbon framesets. Those designs, IP and the actual "molds" themselves are proprietary and only they can use those to make their bikes. If the molds do become damage, out of spec or whatever, they are scrapped. They can't just sell it to somebody else and let them use it to make their own frames at a smaller factory. That would put them in jeopardy of losing their contract and business.

The open mold factories are just that. They are companies that have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce their own frames/molds that are generic in nature. They then intend to sell the frames they make to any middle man, or company, many in the US or around the World, as any name brand they want. There is no intellectual property involved, one company can use the exact same mold/frame and label it as their own, as well as any other company that sells the frame. Each bike mold costs about $8k to make. They have to machine the mold from solid aluminum, like any other industry using mold techniques, and to exact specifications and tolerances. These are often generic designs, or as we have seen, designs that are near direct ripoffs of the exact size/design/style/geometry of big name frames. Like the Scott Foil or Venge.

Open mold or not, none of these people make their own carbon fiber fabric. Toray of Japan is probably the largest in the World who provide/sell the actual carbon fiber fabric to many/most bike manufacturers. T700, T1000 etc...are names people have heard and that are being used widely today. They buy the sheets, cut them to the templates they have designed, then start laying them up by hand with one of the various carbon layup techniques/methods commonly used, or specified by the company they are doing the work for. There is very little difference between carbon layup techniques that apply to most industry. Car parts, bikes or whatever. Not much has changed in that respect.

The real differences are just how it is laid up to achieve a certain ride quality and stiffness at different places and junctures, or how the frame is assembled, maybe it is a one piece monocoque mold, or multiple pieces from several molds that get glued together at various staged to complete the frame. But they all use very similar techniques to wrap the fabric around the mold, resin and pressure to shape and cure/harden the product. Then it is all hand finish work mostly from that point onward out of the mold.

Most of these open mold manufacturers have a huge investment in their business. Nearly all perform standardized testing, like the big name contractors, to ensure the quality and final product of the frame meets industry accepted specifications. If they make junk, their business will fail eventually, that is plain and simple. The internet forums, being what they are, would always have new threads claiming my (insert small non-big name bike frame/open mold) bike frame imploded! You hear examples of this once in awhile from major brands also. This is the nature of carbon fiber and the manufacturing process with nearly everything made today.

Now, I will tell you there are definitely minor QC/finish issues of Chinese open mold frames compared to the bigger brands. They do put more time/effort into that aspect. Particularly paint, some internal sanding/finishing of the surfaces to smooth them out and such. But does that make a Trek Madone stronger and better than a regular Chinese open mold like the FM098? Not likely. They are using very similar, if not identical carbon fiber sheets, resins, similarly made molds and the techniques are very close, thus, the end result is very similar from an overall integrity and structural aspect of the product. The difference of ride quality of a Venge, and the FM098, will be similar since they use the exact geometry on nearly every size. But how the bike handles/ride/takes bumps etc..might be slightly different. It is hard to say without having both bikes built identically, except with different frames, to determine that.

Giving an example of a Cervelo R5ca is an extreme example. There are very few companies that have a product like that. They hand lay up those frames in CA by a few select people with expertise and some unique techniques, and produce them in a very extreme limited quantity. Like 100 I believe. Same with the McClaren Venge.

If people don't want an open mold frame, then don't buy it. That simple. But claiming there are such huge differences between your typical big name frame and an open mold one is a bit misguided and uninformed. Doesn't mean there aren't open molds that are junk and not good, but typically, they have proven over time to be just as reliable as any big name brand.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leviathan

by Leviathan

strobbekoen wrote:That article is pure crap and clearly not written by someone who understands what goes into making a product.
I will repeat : patents exist to allow innovation.

Actually markets, (potential, latent, and extant), exist to allow innovation
Patents exist to allow lawyers to exist.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Really.. patents exist to allow lawyers to exist ?
What a refreshing idea.
Patents exists because innovative ideas take years to develop. That's why they need to be patented.
I guess you never worked for years on something without getting paid to understand that concept.
People like to use the word innovation as something they can benefit from rather than understand what it takes to do it. Until you put your livelihood on the line for what you believe in to see it getting copied by someone else.
You are still confusing competition with innovation.
Competition leads to innovation and vice versa, but the person who comes up with a new design from that process should have the right to benefit from his/hers design without having some copycat doing it without spending the time or knowledge to actually come to that design, got the point?

jordo99

by jordo99

RTW wrote:...
You are actually hurting the owners of the trademarks. If you are riding that bike, and it fails (no reason to think it might) then people who see that failure may avoid Specialized based on that.

I'm going to respond to this for the sole reason of making a point that this is the kind of logic that annoys me to no end.

If the bikes are unlikely to fail, then the chances of them hurting the Specialized brand is also unlikely. If anything, a FM098 would help the Specialized reputation by showing people, mistake an open mold for a name brand, that the bikes are popular and well made when they see them being ridden around.

A twist on your argument could be that if I were to start racing seriously and become successful on a FM098 then someone might be more likely to purchase a Venge after mistaking my bike for the real deal...but because of a biased opinion, that outcome is being ignored.

nfecyle

by nfecyle

http://thepirateparty.com/index.php/pat ... ination/68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

am I missing something ? where is the reward for the companies or the people who works 12+ hours/day to develop drugs ? Patents also allow greater reward to those who work hard for it. If you re in the drug industry then you will know there are way more fails than success.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

jordo99 wrote:
You are actually hurting the owners of the trademarks. If you are riding that bike, and it fails (no reason to think it might) then people who see that failure may avoid Specialized based on that.

A twist on your argument could be that if I were to start racing seriously and become successful on a FM098 then someone might be more likely to purchase a Venge after mistaking my bike for the real deal...but because of a biased opinion, that outcome is being ignored.

Which would be bad for the FM098 manufacturer, who is making a good bike but that someone is passing off as a less good Specialized. I stand by what I said - relabelling benefits no one, just hurts the manufacturers involved.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

strobbekoen wrote:Really.. patents exist to allow lawyers to exist ?
What a refreshing idea.
Patents exists because innovative ideas take years to develop. That's why they need to be patented.
I guess you never worked for years on something without getting paid to understand that concept.
People like to use the word innovation as something they can benefit from rather than understand what it takes to do it. Until you put your livelihood on the line for what you believe in to see it getting copied by someone else.
You are still confusing competition with innovation.
Competition leads to innovation and vice versa, but the person who comes up with a new design from that process should have the right to benefit from his/hers design without having some copycat doing it without spending the time or knowledge to actually come to that design, got the point?

Im assuming "what a refreshing idea" was a poorly phrased immature stab at sarcasm? If it was, of course nothing Ive stated here is either refreshing nor indeed my own thoughts, simply a brief summation of what business academics have actually found.

Competition leads to innovation. Exactly. Everthing else is simply a market bad. There are indeed times when controls are needed, of course they are - whats happened in investment banking in the last 10 years is a great example. Protection of ones right to sell something as expensively as one wishes, without competitors being able to come up with something better, in a monopoply created by the threat of legal action, isnt one of them. But the point, which Im now done making as it really should be self evident, is that innovators should innovate becasue they can sell their products, then competitors come along with something new and the first guy either innovates again or they dont get paid, in which case the "ten years spent working on an idea" wasnt such well spent time now, was it? Go think of another one.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I replied to your statement about patents.
You still don't understand the difference between competing products and designs being rewarded by patents.
This is obvious from your statement 'innovators should innovate because they can sell their products, then competitors come along with something new and the first guy either innovates again or they dont get paid'
This has nothing to do with patents.
I will leave it to that.

jordo99

by jordo99

RTW wrote:
jordo99 wrote:

Which would be bad for the FM098 manufacturer, who is making a good bike but that someone is passing off as a less good Specialized. I stand by what I said - relabelling benefits no one, just hurts the manufacturers involved.

If you complain about counterfeit/copy bikes then I can agree with you. It doesn't upset me if someone puts on badges but I just don't see the point.

I only get upset if someone complains that a non-copy like mine is bad for the cycling industry or hurts name brands...because that's obviously not true.

jordo99

by jordo99

Patents exist to protect hard work and encourage innovation.

Without patents there is little reason to spend money on research and development. If a company spends 50 million dollars to make the perfect microwave and isn't protected by patents then another company will be able to undercut them (they only pay for manufacturing...not 50 million + manufacturing) and run them out of business...

On the other hand some patents should never be given in the first place...patents which encompass such a broad/vague idea can make it impossible for another company to improve upon the product without being sued...think if IBM could have killed Apple for making a personal computer or if Ford could have killed all other automobile companies because it got there first...this is actually happening in some cases because the people issuing patents do not understand what the technology does.

I'm sure it is a very difficult process to decide how much protection to give in a patent...and I don't want to do it

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

In the case of cars and computers, it can't be patented because the final product is a combination of lots of parts which are common to other cars/computers. The same applies to software, algorithms can be patented but end user applications using those algorithms can not. The point of a patent is to reward the inventor of a functional idea, not a product composed of different parts which again may or may not be patented. patents are not about products which are marketed, it's about designs which allow those products to be made, and possibly applied for different purposes. It's not necessarily about a finished product which ends up in the consumer's hands.

spytech

by spytech

Zigmeister wrote:
CharlesM wrote:We keep implying that open mold means the same care and quality of materials is used to stuff the mold...

There's a reason the R5CA is a lot more money than the base r5...

There's a reason the Top Mclaren Venge was 3 times the cost of the standard...

The quality of raw materials and the car in lay up make for massive cost differences in production for the actual reputable brands even in the same mold.

We're also ignoring the fact that molds degrade and get out of spec... Once that happens, the molds for a brand occasionally become "open"...

Visual similarity is creating a facade of quality and brand association way beyond what the reality is...

The busted chinarellos lined with newspaper were a great example...

Sorry, my post is a bit long, bear with me, but this post and some of the things stated are just plain wrong and misguided.

Are you trying to say that an "open" mold is defined as one that a big manufacture is no longer using due to it going out of "spec", and just let some company buy it and then make their own frames from that old mold?

There are a handful of well known manufacturers in China/Taiwan that have factories that produce, on a contract, the big name brand carbon framesets. Those designs, IP and the actual "molds" themselves are proprietary and only they can use those to make their bikes. If the molds do become damage, out of spec or whatever, they are scrapped. They can't just sell it to somebody else and let them use it to make their own frames at a smaller factory. That would put them in jeopardy of losing their contract and business.

The open mold factories are just that. They are companies that have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce their own frames/molds that are generic in nature. They then intend to sell the frames they make to any middle man, or company, many in the US or around the World, as any name brand they want. There is no intellectual property involved, one company can use the exact same mold/frame and label it as their own, as well as any other company that sells the frame. Each bike mold costs about $8k to make. They have to machine the mold from solid aluminum, like any other industry using mold techniques, and to exact specifications and tolerances. These are often generic designs, or as we have seen, designs that are near direct ripoffs of the exact size/design/style/geometry of big name frames. Like the Scott Foil or Venge.

Open mold or not, none of these people make their own carbon fiber fabric. Toray of Japan is probably the largest in the World who provide/sell the actual carbon fiber fabric to many/most bike manufacturers. T700, T1000 etc...are names people have heard and that are being used widely today. They buy the sheets, cut them to the templates they have designed, then start laying them up by hand with one of the various carbon layup techniques/methods commonly used, or specified by the company they are doing the work for. There is very little difference between carbon layup techniques that apply to most industry. Car parts, bikes or whatever. Not much has changed in that respect.

The real differences are just how it is laid up to achieve a certain ride quality and stiffness at different places and junctures, or how the frame is assembled, maybe it is a one piece monocoque mold, or multiple pieces from several molds that get glued together at various staged to complete the frame. But they all use very similar techniques to wrap the fabric around the mold, resin and pressure to shape and cure/harden the product. Then it is all hand finish work mostly from that point onward out of the mold.

Most of these open mold manufacturers have a huge investment in their business. Nearly all perform standardized testing, like the big name contractors, to ensure the quality and final product of the frame meets industry accepted specifications. If they make junk, their business will fail eventually, that is plain and simple. The internet forums, being what they are, would always have new threads claiming my (insert small non-big name bike frame/open mold) bike frame imploded! You hear examples of this once in awhile from major brands also. This is the nature of carbon fiber and the manufacturing process with nearly everything made today.

Now, I will tell you there are definitely minor QC/finish issues of Chinese open mold frames compared to the bigger brands. They do put more time/effort into that aspect. Particularly paint, some internal sanding/finishing of the surfaces to smooth them out and such. But does that make a Trek Madone stronger and better than a regular Chinese open mold like the FM098? Not likely. They are using very similar, if not identical carbon fiber sheets, resins, similarly made molds and the techniques are very close, thus, the end result is very similar from an overall integrity and structural aspect of the product. The difference of ride quality of a Venge, and the FM098, will be similar since they use the exact geometry on nearly every size. But how the bike handles/ride/takes bumps etc..might be slightly different. It is hard to say without having both bikes built identically, except with different frames, to determine that.

Giving an example of a Cervelo R5ca is an extreme example. There are very few companies that have a product like that. They hand lay up those frames in CA by a few select people with expertise and some unique techniques, and produce them in a very extreme limited quantity. Like 100 I believe. Same with the McClaren Venge.

If people don't want an open mold frame, then don't buy it. That simple. But claiming there are such huge differences between your typical big name frame and an open mold one is a bit misguided and uninformed. Doesn't mean there aren't open molds that are junk and not good, but typically, they have proven over time to be just as reliable as any big name brand.

we touched on similar topics here, but i think you said/explained it better. i think charles/pez was talking out of his @$$.

we should jump back on topic here. and forget about IP... these oem bike are not counterfeit or replicas. they have their own moulds and designs that are very similar to the name brand bikes in the market.

SlipperyT

by SlipperyT

IP theft is still theft.

Copying a whole bike is lame. The so-called difference is not because they are trying to keep it different, but because it's a bad copy job. If they can get original drawings of the Venge, they would not be shy to use it.

There are many carbon factories in China. Some are good. Many of them suck. Any generalization beyond that simply is dillusional.

Open models can be good, or can be crap.

Big brands can lose business if they are knocked off heavily, because customers would be pissed if they spend $5K and be mistaken for riding a fake. Some knock-off buyers can also afford higher end stuff (see earlier Di2 FM015).

Patent lawyers make up a fraction of the lawyer population.

R&D and design have value and cost money.

This mob-mentality is dangerous.

spytech

by spytech

SlipperyT wrote:IP theft is still theft.

Copying a whole bike is lame. The so-called difference is not because they are trying to keep it different, but because it's a bad copy job. If they can get original drawings of the Venge, they would not be shy to use it.

so your saying that they cannot reproduce the frame exactly because they do not have the ability? and that basically they are trying really hard to do so and the differences that we see are not what they intended, but it is their lack of skill/knowledge that doesn't allow them to get a perfect copy?

i am just trying to get the jist of it, that you are basically saying they cannot duplicated the frames look and dimensions exactly.

i think an exact copy is not that difficult if you have a original frame to work with.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

Leviathan wrote:Competition leads to innovation. Exactly. Everthing else is simply a market bad.

You and strob are talking past each other. There are markets where competition is enough to drive innovation and others where it isn't. It isn't if the cost of innovating is greater than the expected returns... the expected returns *if* your innovations can be quickly and easily copied and sold by your competitors. When that is the case the R&D simply doesn't happen... and we are stuck with a much lower rate of product improvement.

On the other hand there certainly are cases where patents stifle innovation or progress... when the innovation is fairly obvious and required little R&D. This is often the case with large companies trying to maintain their market share against smaller businesses, by devoting substantial resources to lawyers and lawsuits. For a small company a patent is next to worthless unless they can devote millions of $$ defending it.

IMO the relevant issue for this discussion is where bicycle frames lie on this spectrum. I frankly don't know how much the big manufacturers spend to develop the technology they use... but... it doesn't appear the Chinese frames are infringing on that, anyway. In this thread people seem to be complaining when they copy the look or style... which is merely cosmetic.

I frankly don't understand the urge to buy a near-replica of something and try to pass it off as the original... but I'm probably missing the poser gene. Are Pinarello or Specialized suffering because there are cheap replicas of their top frames out there? I think they are. It dilutes the exclusivity of the brand for sure. The posers with lots of money are hesitant to lay down the big $$ when there are all these *poor* posers riding something that looks identical to the untrained eye.

So... basically I think copying a top frame to try and capture the "poor poser" market is lame. But then again the only ones suffering are rich posers... and big companies that can afford it anyway, and won't stop doing what they do. Nobody is missing out on any innovation as far as I can tell.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com