Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joejack951

by joejack951

Klaster1 wrote:
joejack951 wrote:Every flat mount fork just has two blind tapped holes for mounting the caliper like that one.

That was worth a mention because apparently some forks do not require an adapter, like Teammachine SLR Disc. Who knows, maybe this design will become more widespread in the future.

Haha! I should have known that somewhere there existed a flat mount fork that eliminated the adapter. I can't see that becoming standard, though. #1, it's ugly. #2, I doubt it saves much if any weight by the time you account for the longer mounting bolts. #3, it forces a 160mm rotor which is a big weight gain if someone could otherwise use a 140mm rotor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grymg

by grymg

kidrob wrote:
lwk wrote:
grymg wrote:Ended up getting a painted matte red FM008 for $602 shipped on aliexpress. Still owe the seller $10 for the headset since it didn't come with it. Hopefully can sell my used Cervelo S2 frame to pay for all of it.

Quite interested to see some pics of your frameset :thumbup:

Good choice! Should have colored mine, too! Looking forward to see your build!

Well the seller had the 54cm BSA FM008 already in stock but is quoting me 25 days to apply the paint. Oh well. I really didn't want a murdered out black look (even w/custom stickers) so ok to wait.

Based on my spreadsheet should be 13.8lb with pedal power meter and Di2 battery being the weight hogs (I just swapped out my current 1100g frame weight with new 883g weight). Gonna be a long month!

kidrob

by kidrob

grymg wrote:
kidrob wrote:
lwk wrote:
grymg wrote:Ended up getting a painted matte red FM008 for $602 shipped on aliexpress. Still owe the seller $10 for the headset since it didn't come with it. Hopefully can sell my used Cervelo S2 frame to pay for all of it.

Quite interested to see some pics of your frameset :thumbup:

Good choice! Should have colored mine, too! Looking forward to see your build!

Well the seller had the 54cm BSA FM008 already in stock but is quoting me 25 days to apply the paint. Oh well. I really didn't want a murdered out black look (even w/custom stickers) so ok to wait.

Based on my spreadsheet should be 13.8lb with pedal power meter and Di2 battery being the weight hogs (I just swapped out my current 1100g frame weight with new 883g weight). Gonna be a long month!

Well, I waited for about 3 months as size 58 with BSA was out of stock, so 25 days for a custom paint is not too shabby ;)

Don't forget to create a build log/gallery and I be super interested to get to know what you payed for taxes/customs :)

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

anyone have any thoughts on this bike? I have yet to see one built up.

WCB-R-148

I like that it does not have the priority headset and handlebar as there other aero frames, and it can it 28mm tires. Geo looks pretty agressive which I like and the weight is good

http://www.workswellbikes.com/PRODDUCT/ ... 5/137.html

bikergrove

by bikergrove

waltthizzney wrote:[url][/url]
prendrefeu wrote:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-NEW-full-carbon-fiber-road-bicycle-frame-T1000-UD-carbon-bike-frame-bike-combo-frame/32834076204.html

That's the seller.

Here's my receipt (I had an additional $2 off coupon from AliExpress that I used) :

that is not a fm066.....

That's an absolute bargain! Let us know how it rides.... can't be any worse than all of the other chinese open molds.

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

Anyone know of any aero road disc frames yet? I've seen several aero road, and a few disc (adventure, CX, or sometimes road). The problem I find is that the CX tends to have post mount and QR, the adventure and road has a mix of QR back or 12mm but with 15mm thru axle front. I'm just not finding anything it seems. Hongfu, dengfu, workswell.

What I'd like (might not exist yet)
- aero styled frame
- 12mm Road thru axle front and rear
- flat mount disc brakes for 160mm front and rear

Does anything like this exist yet in open mold or is this a next year thing?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

kwakekeham wrote:Anyone know of any aero road disc frames yet? I've seen several aero road, and a few disc (adventure, CX, or sometimes road). The problem I find is that the CX tends to have post mount and QR, the adventure and road has a mix of QR back or 12mm but with 15mm thru axle front. I'm just not finding anything it seems. Hongfu, dengfu, workswell.

- aero styled frame

Workswell 081 is highly customizable,
Normal Rim brake, Direct Mount brake, Disc brake
BB Type: BSA(68mm)/BB30(68mm)/PF30(68mm)/BB86
Front hanger: 100*9(QR) 100*12/100*15 (thru axle)
Rear hanger: 135*10(QR) 142*12(thru axle)
http://www.workswellbikes.com/PRODDUCT/ ... 116/6.html
i believe you can even select disc brake fork pair with rim brake frame or vice versa.
I have a Direct mount version size 49 and i can confirm it's greatness of how it perform (not how nice the finish is), especially the clearance for 30mm tire despite the aero look!

Wildh

by Wildh

Hexsense wrote:
kwakekeham wrote:Anyone know of any aero road disc frames yet? I've seen several aero road, and a few disc (adventure, CX, or sometimes road). The problem I find is that the CX tends to have post mount and QR, the adventure and road has a mix of QR back or 12mm but with 15mm thru axle front. I'm just not finding anything it seems. Hongfu, dengfu, workswell.

- aero styled frame

i believe you can even select disc brake fork pair with rim brake frame or vice versa.
I have a Direct mount version size 49 and i can confirm it's greatness of how it perform (not how nice the finish is), especially the clearance for 30mm tire despite the aero look!

I second this. The 081 is available in the axle and disc configuration. Still building mine up. You can order and combo of TA, BB, and brake mount.

They say rear tire clearance is max 25mm, but you might be able to go slightly bigger.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Wildh wrote:
Hexsense wrote:

- aero styled frame

I second this. The 081 is available in the axle and disc configuration. Still building mine up. You can order and combo of TA, BB, and brake mount.

They say rear tire clearance is max 25mm, but you might be able to go slightly bigger.

I find 25mm very understated, atleast on my size 49 direct mount brake (rear under bb) version (which may have different tail and bb area than other version).
Vittoria Corsa G+ 28c on 21mm internal width with actual width of more than 30mm fit fine with room to spare. It start to get bit hard to install/remove rear wheel due to the tirecatching bb brake's arch.
Behind seat tube, it shape as concave channel which truncated far in where center of the tire is. That give illusion of tire almost touching the frame when look from the side but it's actually not.

Wildh

by Wildh

I have 25mm on a size 56 and there is a couple mm of space. I'd bet 28mm would fit on mine but it'd be tight and I'm thinking on even a light Sprint I'd be flexing the wheels where the tire may contact the walls of the aero flare. Either way, it's a very nice bike.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Wildh wrote:I have 25mm on a size 56 and there is a couple mm of space. I'd bet 28mm would fit on mine but it'd be tight and I'm thinking on even a light Sprint I'd be flexing the wheels where the tire may contact the walls of the aero flare. Either way, it's a very nice bike.

oh, so that give the reason why the rating of 25mm is there.
I guess 75 degree seat tube angle of small size version helps a lot.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

prendrefeu wrote:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-NEW-full-carbon-fiber-road-bicycle-frame-T1000-UD-carbon-bike-frame-bike-combo-frame/32834076204.html

That's the seller.

Here's my receipt (I had an additional $2 off coupon from AliExpress that I used) :

...and it arrived today, basically within 10 days of ordering. The finish is perfect on first inspection. After some research it's a duplicate of a Cerv--- R3 from 2016, not too bad to be honest. It's "electronic" ready, but I'll be covering up those holes anyway with my 'custom' "paint job" since this will be a commuter. :lol: The frame & fork are painted to a matte black.

Anyway, weights:

Frame (the steel water-cage bolts removed), no BB, with derailleur hanger, with internal-routing-cable guides, size 54: 934.g
Fork, uncut: 409.1g (f'n heavy)

Since this is a commuter, I'll keep the fork even though it's quite on the heavy side.

Headset was included, but it's f'n heavy. I have a lighter one available anyway.
Seatpost was included, I'll use that for sizing until I have my fit dialed in, then it's a special trick to get rid of it.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

BigPoser

by BigPoser

prendrefeu wrote:

That's the seller.

...and it arrived today, basically within 10 days of ordering. The finish is perfect on first inspection. After some research it's a duplicate of a Cerv--- R3 from 2016, not too bad to be honest. It's "electronic" ready, but I'll be covering up those holes anyway with my 'custom' "paint job" since this will be a commuter. :lol: The frame & fork are painted to a matte black.

Anyway, weights:

Frame (the steel water-cage bolts removed), no BB, with derailleur hanger, with internal-routing-cable guides, size 54: 934.g
Fork, uncut: 409.1g (f'n heavy)

Since this is a commuter, I'll keep the fork even though it's quite on the heavy side.

Headset was included, but it's f'n heavy. I have a lighter one available anyway.
Seatpost was included, I'll use that for sizing until I have my fit dialed in, then it's a special trick to get rid of it.

I can say with certainty that the Workswell R-066 was the exact duplicate of the R3. Even down to the weight as well as the BB cable guide had Cervelo imprinted on it. My 56cm weighed in at 849gr with the hanger. It was also a BBRight BB.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Ok, so if it isn't an R3, what exactly is it? The ad reads "R5" but that, clearly, it is not.

Side note: I'll probably end up stripping all the black paint off this thing (even though my own 'paint' job will add some mass when it's all finished), so I can potentially get some 'real' mass numbers on it. Looking at the fork it may have a lot of paint on it. If the fork has a lot of paint, perhaps the frame does too.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

BigPoser

by BigPoser

prendrefeu wrote:Ok, so if it isn't an R3, what exactly is it? The ad reads "R5" but that, clearly, it is not.

Side note: I'll probably end up stripping all the black paint off this thing (even though my own 'paint' job will add some mass when it's all finished), so I can potentially get some 'real' mass numbers on it. Looking at the fork it may have a lot of paint on it. If the fork has a lot of paint, perhaps the frame does too.

It looks awfully similar even has the same BB. The only difference seems to be the weight. Mine was raw except for a matte clear coat. If yours is painted, maybe that's the difference?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com