Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vongarces

by vongarces

Thanks for the welcome Dr. Galactus and pushstart. Can't wait for the parts to get here.

Pushstart - Been through your blog quite a few times. It's definitely helped me to sort out my plans. I'd been thinking I would eventually replace the fork as well but considering the cost of the Whisky No 9, I was waiting until the Chinese shops started producing the thru-axle road forks before replacing. Your comment though on the Whiskey not really necessary is surprising. I'd been reading articles about someone riding the Domane Disc and I think partly attributing the ride stability to the thru-axle setup (pulling out a water bottle with no anxiety at 60 mph).

I saw you used a DT Swiss RWS skewer to tighten up the steering. Was the difference using the skewer more so than moving to the thru-axle?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxxevv

by maxxevv

They already do have through-axle forks and frames. But those are only on Cross framesets at this point though.

Once Shimano settles on the Disc brake standards ( rear axle spacing in particular), we should see them coming out very quickly.

pushstart

by pushstart

vongarces wrote:Pushstart - Been through your blog quite a few times. It's definitely helped me to sort out my plans. I'd been thinking I would eventually replace the fork as well but considering the cost of the Whisky No 9, I was waiting until the Chinese shops started producing the thru-axle road forks before replacing. Your comment though on the Whiskey not really necessary is surprising. I'd been reading articles about someone riding the Domane Disc and I think partly attributing the ride stability to the thru-axle setup (pulling out a water bottle with no anxiety at 60 mph).

I saw you used a DT Swiss RWS skewer to tighten up the steering. Was the difference using the skewer more so than moving to the thru-axle?

Good questions. I had assumed that the thru-axle would be really significant, but in practice the setup before was nearly as stiff. I think I can feel a difference now, but certainly not one that warrants the Whisky price (I got a floor-model one for cheap). I was also motivated to have accurate/consistent rotor alignment, which feels like a more real benefit.

I never tried a QR (instead of the 9mm thru-bolt skewer), so can't comment on that. My advice would be to get a front hub that you could convert, but if your wheelset is cheap enough then maybe don't worry about it (and just get QR). This beefy tapered fork is stiff; paired with deep wheels should be a very stiff setup.

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

There is 2015 new road frame model CS-082 available, it only come with BB86 and have size 46/49/52/54/58cm available.
two style: Super light weight version(52cm is 875+-30g)&normal weight version(52cm is 1040+-45g).
pls contact bellajian@foxmail.com if anyone interested in.
Attachments
bb082_1.jpg
st082_1.jpg
DSC_0702_1.JPG
082-1_1.jpg
web: www.xmcarbonspeed.com
Email: bellajian@foxmail.com

Joso

by Joso

That looks really nice!

I'm not into that kind of brake type but I like the BB, the seatpost "collar" sustitute and the general looks of the frameset. If I crash my fm066sl I will consider it.

Do you have a geometry chart?

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

Joso wrote:That looks really nice!

I'm not into that kind of brake type but I like the BB, the seatpost "collar" sustitute and the general looks of the frameset. If I crash my fm066sl I will consider it.

Do you have a geometry chart?

the geometry was shown as well in my last post. here is the parts for the frame included. The brake front will use FOURIERS, rear will use Shimano BR9010.
Attachments
IMG_1130.JPG
Last edited by weeni on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

Is there a web site for the frame?

VQ30DE

by VQ30DE

Hi all, I'm interested in a R5-type frame. It seems the FM-066 is a close match and then there are those being sold that seem to be exact matches. I am looking for a 58 cm frame, which limits my options as Zhongwei, and I've read mixed things about Hongfu and Dengfu--any opinions? Workswell seems to be the new name for Feel, but I don't see 58 cm on their eBay ads at least. Thanks for any ideas.
Using Tapatalk

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

VQ30DE wrote:Hi all, I'm interested in a R5-type frame. It seems the FM-066 is a close match and then there are those being sold that seem to be exact matches. I am looking for a 58 cm frame, which limits my options as Zhongwei, and I've read mixed things about Hongfu and Dengfu--any opinions? Workswell seems to be the new name for Feel, but I don't see 58 cm on their eBay ads at least. Thanks for any ideas.

The factory don't allow the vendors to sell 066-sl frame on alibaba, ebay etc B2C or B2B website.
it is same frame just because each vendor named it different name/Model.
you can consider the price at 580-610usd/set(not include the shipping) i think it is possible.

VQ30DE

by VQ30DE

trex021 wrote:Not a Hongfu but hopefully it's alright to post it in this thread :)

Workswell WCB-R-066. It's a Cervelo R5 copy. I finished it last weekend. Loving it so far.
I'm thinking about ordering this same frame. Did you have any concerns about the fit and finish with the Workswell? The 58 cm costs more, $545 shipped they quoted me, but not a bad deal. Also, you said there are no internal bulkheads in the BB area, but otherwise you think it's identical to the R5 design? Finally, it looks like you went with an Ultegra crank/BB with BSA adapter. I am interested in SRAM Force 22 BB30, which I believe works with BBright (i.e., spindle is long enough?) these days. Thanks, and sorry for all the questions.
Using Tapatalk

trex021

by trex021

Hi VQ30DE. As well as I can tell the geometry and tube shape are the same as a 2014 - 2015 R5.

I went with a PF30 Wheel Mfg Bottom Bracket and a Wheels Mfg adapter for Shimano.

I'm sorry but I'm no expert on SRAM. If you go to the Cervelo forum and search, there are several topics on pairing SRAM cranks with BBright.

I'll save the worst for last. My chain line did not work the way I thought it should have. I have a Wheels Mfg PF30 ceramic BB. With the Wheels Mfg BBright to Shimano adapter my big ring was too far from the center line for the frame. That caused the fr derailleur to be unable to move the chain to the big ring. Because I chose Shimano, I was able to remove most of the drive side adapter spacers and that made my chain line perfect. If your particular crank set did not have at least 8mm in drive side spacers standard for a BBRight, I can't guarantee it would work. For example, I don't think the FSA BBRight crank uses any drive side spacers. I'm not sure that would work (because you can't move the rings any further inboard: there are no spacers to remove). A Rotor 3D+ uses a 10mm spacer, therefore you could change it to 2mm and it should work (I have one but I haven't tried it yet).

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want any more detail. I'm happy to help.

I've been advising a couple other guys via PM and email who've since ordered frames as well. Maybe they can chime in on their chain line experiences.

Sorry if I've scared you but I thought you should know everything. My bike is great.
Last edited by trex021 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VQ30DE

by VQ30DE

Thanks very much for all the information! So you seem to be saying the frame is outwardly identical to Cervelo's, yet the chainline is off? Are you sure the adapter or some quirk of installation isn't to blame? It seems strange that their mold would be off just at the BB. I've also not heard any other complaints of chainline issues with this frame, though there aren't many reports out there.
Using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

No, he's saying BBRight is crap.

trex021

by trex021

Yeah VQ30, it appears the same but the chain line is off. It might have been an installation quirk (maybe I messed up, not sure how) which is why I'm reaching out to other owners to get their experience. My brother just got his frame. I'll be helping him. We'll see.

VQ30DE

by VQ30DE

I'm in no rush so I'll wait to hear more before I buy. Thanks!
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com