Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:58 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:00 pm 

I've ridden tubs for about 3 years, never really had any complaints about gluing process, but must confess one aspect I've always struggled with is simply finding a reliable way to carry a spare. Every attempt I've made at folding a tub and securing under the saddle with a toe strap just doesn't seem particularly robust.

The method I've settled on is folding my spare into a Vittoria soft case then carrying in a bottle cage. Which of course then means you can only carry 1 water bottle - fine for winter/shorter rides, but long summer rides...not ideal. And I did once have a zip tear on a case while folding the tub in. And I cannot quite fold a 25mm tub into one of those cases, can only manage a 22mm.

What methods of folding and storage do other members favour? Pictures welcome, of course!

p.s. apologies if this subject has been discussed previously - I searched (briefly) but couldn't find a dedicated thread

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:11 pm 

Fold it and under the seat. If you use Tufo Elite 19mm you can probably fit it in a saddle bag, they can be folded really small.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:11 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:31 pm 

Round the shoulders like a hardman of times gone by.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:11 pm 

And ditch the out front Garmin mount for a bottle cage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:29 pm 

So, I try to ride my tubulars as much as I can. Always hope I don't get a flat... I haven't yet...

Now I bought a small bottle of schwalbe branded sealant stuck a valve opener inside the cap and carry a pump. Both in my rear pocket.
If I happen to be riding somewhere away from home where I could get stranded I would carry a folded tubular. Have a Corsa 700x19or20 that folds pretty small.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:22 pm 

coloclimber wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=61362
also discussed in this thread^

xg43x wrote:
You need this...

viewtopic.php?t=65895
and here

hornedfrog wrote:
Made for tubular tires. Arundel Tubi.

stella-azzurra wrote:
Real men carry their tubulars like this

cerro wrote:
pro-style :)

The few rides I carry an extra tube with me I strap it under the saddle, nothing extra. Got to think about the weight.

naisan wrote:
It used to be a mark of prestige to have a sock under your seat with a tire in it. I'm working on bringing the style back:

There's also a little pump and tire lever in there to assist in prying the flat off the rim. I won a race a long time ago with that alfredo binda toestrap ;-) Also stops your chammy from getting wet if rainy that day.

jbaillie wrote:

:welcome: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:20 pm 

Arundel Tubi. At last count I had four of them, I think. I can fit:

Tub
2 x CO2 cans
CO2 head
minipump
(small) multitool
quick link

into one, with careful packing. Not the quickest things to extract tools etc from, but how often do you need to?

Works best with lightweight tubs - obviously the Tufo Elite Jet 160 is ideal, but not a great actual tyre. I usually use Schwalbe Ultremo HTs as they pack down very flat but are actually usable.

Here's today's bike:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:32 pm 

I use a 160-170 gram Vittoria TT tubbie (with puncture resistant barrier) and small silca pump. they are inside a light plastic bag (keeps sweat off them) and then placed in a tight fitting scuba lycra sock - goes into my center back pocket. That tubbie folds up real small - I equate it to a space saver spare tire in your car - you haul it around all the time but once needed (maybe once every 3 years) then it need only be just enough to get you home.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:30 pm 

I use an Arundel tubi or if my wife is around the house I'll leave it at home, grab a can of pit stop, and make sure my phone is charged

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:41 pm 

Pitstop is not very reliable. A half bottle of Stan's works a lot better and is much lighter.

The Ex's:
Litespeed Siena: 6.21kg | Parlee Z5 SLi: 5.9kg | Litespeed Xicon: 5.76kg | Colnago C59: 5.7kg | Cervelo R5ca: 5.09kg | Fuji Altamira SE - 6.2kg | Scott Foil - 6.2kg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:23 pm 

RyanH wrote:
Pitstop is not very reliable. A half bottle of Stan's works a lot better and is much lighter.

But once you add the pump or CO2 needed for Stan's, then the pit stop is lighter. I've had pretty good luck with the pit stop.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:37 am 

I like the idea of the Arundel Tubi. Does it fit into your rear jersey pocket? Any other recommendations for a small, inexpensive tubular to use as a spare just to get you home? 964Cup recommended the Tufo Elite Jet 160.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:15 am 

The Elite Jet is great, but in no sense inexpensive. Most really lightweight tubs are also pricy, sadly. You can fit a Tubi in a jersey pocket, but that's slightly missing the point. You might as well use a sticky pod or something like that; the Tubi is designed as a seat pack.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:09 pm 

2cm Velcro tape for me. The tape I have is hooks one side and loops on the other so I just wrap it soft side in, 1.5 times around the tub then around the seat rails and again round the tyre.

Holds extremely well, doesn't stretch, lasts forever and if the weather is bad I can stuff the tub into a Sealskins sock first to waterproof it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:24 pm 

For one tire, I do this. It's the wrap that Phil Wood hubs come in. Only real benefit is it keeps the tire lever a bit more securely in place and less likely to fall out. I like how the mesh keeps some shape to the bundle.

When I want two spares with me (real long rides, unsupported) I use this bag from Ochsner. It's meant for a cyclocross tire, but I can squeeze 2 tires, 2 CO2s, pump head, and tire lever in there. I don't like tying up my bottle cage bosses with tires since I need the hydration on these long rides.

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:24 pm