New Cervelo California, the Rca

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi dj,

I'm sure glad I'm not a cycling journalist tasked with writing bike reviews. :-)

I feel so sorry for those guys sometimes. :-(

Cheers,
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

sedluk

by sedluk

I understand that the Rca is constructed so that you can build it up anyway you want. There is a market demand for electronic shifting and soon possibly hydraulic braking. I understand that the Rca will be the inspiration for the next generation Cervelo road frame and the next generation road frame will need to be flexible. The Rca is a brilliant design that allows the most popular new build options with no penalty for the lightweight enthusiasts like myself.

No disrespect to anyone, but this is still the weight weenie forum. To build up an Rca with anything but light parts is bad karma on this forum.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi sedluk,

Well said, and I agree.

Thanks for your comment,

Damon
Damon Rinard

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

djconnel wrote:The Peloton Magazine review, on which I comment here:

There is a fury to the way the bike reacts to power -- it leaps from under you, but the feeling continues beyond the initial acceleration. Each pedal stroke delivers a new surge forward.

:D

Couldn't find the review on their site. Relink please?

That said, I'm sure the RCA is an incredible frameset.

jooo

by jooo

sedluk wrote:I understand that the Rca is constructed so that you can build it up anyway you want. There is a market demand for electronic shifting and soon possibly hydraulic braking. I understand that the Rca will be the inspiration for the next generation Cervelo road frame and the next generation road frame will need to be flexible. The Rca is a brilliant design that allows the most popular new build options with no penalty for the lightweight enthusiasts like myself.

No disrespect to anyone, but this is still the weight weenie forum. To build up an Rca with anything but light parts is bad karma on this forum.

I totally understand where you are coming from but I guess a reason someone may choose to use hydraulic brakes is if they're racing the bike when minimum weight limits are being enforced.

Sure it's a scenario not all that likely to happen for most people who would own an Rca but if you've got to bring it up to 6.8kg, you may as well do it with something useful rather than a bunch of metal hidden in the seat-tube or crank spindle etc.

airwise

by airwise

djconnel wrote:The Peloton Magazine review, on which I comment here:

There is a fury to the way the bike reacts to power -- it leaps from under you, but the feeling continues beyond the initial acceleration. Each pedal stroke delivers a new surge forward.

:D

The Le Cycle review was somewhat less flowery in it's choice of language with less hyperbole but equally enthusiastic - commenting on it's quality finish, adaptability and it's rigidity.

Test figures showed a very rigid rear end (but I should add that the Le Cycle tests really could do with some refinement as they really don't tell us a great deal these days).

eric

by eric

I am more excited by the possiblilty of running hydraulic shifting, which can be lighter than cable operated derailleurs.

But if someone made weight weenie hydraulic rim brakes, this frame would be ready for it.

I just wish it was not so expensive. I could afford it but I can't justify spending that much for so little additional benefit. Being exclusive and showing off have no appeal to me so that part of it's value is lost on me.

djconnel

by djconnel

justkeepedaling wrote:Couldn't find the review on their site. Relink please?

That said, I'm sure the RCA is an incredible frameset.

Paper magazine. I subscribed.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Understood, they have a few other articles up on the site so I wasn't sure.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Call me crazy, but I just got one. Size 56. Bare uncut fork is 319 gms. Frame with bits is 659 which puts it at the low end of the weight range for this size according to the white paper. Components on order so I'm a few weeks away from the build........but boy is this a beautiful frame!!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

Don't like it. THinking its going to be a noodle if you are over 160lbs
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

goodboyr

by goodboyr

teufelhunden222 wrote:Don't like it. THinking its going to be a noodle if you are over 160lbs

Lol. Don't tell me you're trying to resurrect the famous "Cervelo R5 is a noodle" thread.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

teufelhunden222 wrote:Don't like it. THinking its going to be a noodle if you are over 160lbs

Lul wut. WUUUUT. This is probably stronger than 80% of all framesets and is stiffer than about 99% framesets. I do hope you're joking

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Yep. Just as an example, we've only ever measured two framesets with a stiffer BB: the Cervelo R5ca and an SL4 (tied with each other and both just a hair stiffer than the RCA). To put it in perspective, all these frames are well above the stiffness required to earn TOUR Magazine's best "power transfer" score.
Damon Rinard

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Permon

by Permon

Yes, it is me! The OP of "Is Cervelo R5 a noodle" thread:-)

Just my 2cents.
After 6000km on my R5 VWD 2012 I lost 11kg and I DO CONFIRM that my R5 behaves so much better now! Really. Believe it or not, the weight of the rider is crucial in handling. I would not call the R5 a noodle these days.
At the beggining of this year I felt the situation like:
Pinarello DOGMA: stiff vs. R5: noodle

At this moment, 11kg ligher, I feel it like this:
Pinarello DOGMA: very stiff vs. R5: stiff enought

I always wonder how it is possible that RCA size 54 is ONLY 9 grams ligher than size 56 :shock:
Is 9grams enough? Does these 9grams really cover the rise of power of the bigger/stronger guys?
It simply sounds silly to me.
Check difference between size 56 and 58...it is reasonable 50grams.

So, I do believe that majority of guys riding size 54 (considering them smaller, less powerfull) feels R5 as super stiff bike.
Is the situation the same for a 100kg rider on a R5 size 56? I doubt it. Call me an idiot, if You want.