Quick question probably alot of you can answer!!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Putricaina

by Putricaina

Hey guys. Hopefully this question will not get anyone upset because it's not "light weight" related, but I do have a high end Giant TCR Advanced sl 3 that I plan on posting pics of soon.

This being put out of the way, I was wondering if anyone knew about protective covers that I could put on the bottom tips of my fork? I need this because I plan on going to work on my giant, and locking it outside where a security guard is constantly surveilling. The only way I can see myself locking my wheels with the bike is by removing the front wheel and locking it with the back one and then through the frame of the bike. I would love to be able to get to work and come back by bike just to put in the extra miles, but I don't want to scratch or crack the bottoms of my beautiful fork :wink: . You never know if someone might decide to touch the bike and move it around :-x

I would really appreciate if someone helped me find covers that are specifically made for that purpose. I did although think of a few "home-made" alternatives.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

Call your local bike shop, and ask if them if they have any of the plastic dropout doohickeys that forks are shipped with. They'll likely give you one for free.

lechat

by lechat

A mtb tube should do the trick.

Putricaina

by Putricaina

Thanks bricky, I will check with my LBS.

Lechat, i'm not quite sure I grasp what you mean... Just wrap the tube around the fork?

lechat

by lechat

Just cut it once or in 2. should slide up the fork legs, I think.

dvincere

by dvincere

I usually recommend, for several reasons, that one uses a u-lock through the frame and if possible one wheel, and the cable secures the other wheel through the lock. It saves a lot of hassle and time compared to removing your wheel.

Geoff

by Geoff

Just use a wooden stick. You can probably just pick one up off the ground near where you park and put it in the dropouts.

mvz2

by mvz2

Locking skewers maybe?

garysol1
Shop Owner

by garysol1

I think I would find a way to just leave both wheels on the bike with either a second cable or a locking skewer.
Emonda SLR
Kona JTS
Specialized AWOL
Trek Stache 9.7
Specialized Fatboy

kode54

by kode54

you should be able to find something from home depot...a rubber end cap. that will also prevent it from slipping on the sidewalk like a plastic spreader.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Miller

by Miller

I think it's asking for trouble to be leaving a high-end bike locked in public view every day.

Svetty

by Svetty

Miller wrote:I think it's asking for trouble to be leaving a high-end bike locked in public view every day.

Seconded - some bas***d will spot it and pitch up with his mates and an angle grinder....

ave

by ave

Indeed, If I wanted to ride to work, I wouldn't use my "nice" bike.
Or I'd find a place nearby, where I can store it inside. (even for a fee)

Putricaina

by Putricaina

Hey guys, thank you to everyone who took the time to input their thoughts.
Concerning the safety of leaving the bike outside, I do fully understand the repercussions that it brings, but my bike is fully insured and where my bike will be locked, there is a security guard constantly present, looking around. Secondly, where I work is a huge complexe , where only employees are to be found on site therefore greatly reducing the chances that I get my bike jacked.

Once again thanks all for your input! :thumbup:

Wolfgang

by Wolfgang

I would not take the front wheel off...get a small dia coated cable and run through both wheels...Saves you from finding it knocked over and the fork legs nicked up!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com