Issues with Continental Supersonic tubes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Velofreak

by Velofreak

Lately I´m having some issues in my rear wheel with super sonic tubes. I´m using a kinlin xr-200 rim, with veloplugs, Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tires, 23mm, and Continental Supersonic tubes, 36mm valve.

The problem is that recently, As the front tire was nearly new, and the rear was a bit used, I switched them. They both have only 1700Km. Problem is that the rear tube managed to scape through the side of the tire; the kevlar ring of the tire just went out of its place. This happened once, while inflating the tire, and just this morning doing a sprint climbing a bridge. Do you know what can be the reason to this problems? did it happened to you?

Problem is that these tubes are 10€ each so... It's a kind of expensive issue. thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I had the same problem with latex tubes and worn Vittoria's.....the tire stretches a lot and a thin, supple tube can wiggle its way under the bead.

Velofreak

by Velofreak

btompkins0112 wrote:I had the same problem with latex tubes and worn Vittoria's.....the tire stretches a lot and a thin, supple tube can wiggle its way under the bead.

Thanks mate!!! then I guess thicker tubes are better for used tires. New light tubes will return with new tires.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Are you sure the tube wasn't trapped between the bead and the rim?

I partially inflate the tube and then go around the full circumference of the wheel (both sides) and check the tube is correctly positioned before inflating it fully.

Velofreak

by Velofreak

BTW, do you think 65g tubes are thick enough to avoid this issue? I think they will work. I have now a mavic tube of about 75g. Let's see if it holds up properly.

Velofreak

by Velofreak

5 8 5 wrote:Are you sure the tube wasn't trapped between the bead and the rim?

I partially inflate the tube and then go around the full circumference of the wheel (both sides) and check the tube is correctly positioned before inflating it fully.

Yes, i´m quite sure of that, Although i've always heard that talk powder helps solving tube issues. I will definitely buy some talc powder tomorrow.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Yes, it's worth using talc as it stops the tube from "sticking" to the tyre.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Do not use talcum powder too liberally. It tends to caulk when wetted.

For the good news:

http://www.bike-eu.com/Home/General/2013/1/Vittoria-Opens-Nanographyte-Compound-Factory-1153769W/?cmpid=NLC|Bike%20Europe|22-jan-2013|Vittoria%20Opens%20#8216;Nanographyte

“Racing is casing. With our 40 year experience in making cotton carcasses for tubulars, our casings are the best in the world. The next challenge is in compounds.”

Dixit Rudi Campagne.

Ciao, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

BobDopolina
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by BobDopolina

OP, If you are saying that the casing is worn or cut just above the bead it wasn't the tube.

Either the top of the brake pad is slightly grazing the tire at that point (check for a flat spot in the rim) or the bead on the rim is a little sharp and cut the tire.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.
https://www.bdopcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

It's more a case of the tire being "stretched" out and it is more likely to allow the tube to wiggle its way out, especially during efforts out of the saddle, i.e. side forces

BobDopolina

by BobDopolina

I'm sorry but that is impossible.

The tire bead seats in the hook of the rim and if it comes loose in any way it will be blown off the rim by the air pressure in the tubs. The hook bead dimensions are controlled VERY tightly by ETRTO standards and there is no space for a bead to wiggle around in there.

This is an installation issue.

Have a look at this drawing. This is the standard rim and tire manufacturers follow to make sure things like this can't happen.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Nice diagram.......I am telling you that my Vittoria was almost falling off the rim when I installed it with a latex tube. Triple checked installation....rode 100+ miles on the setup (no install issue) then when climbing out of the saddle the tube blew and the tire was off the rim.

In other words, not impossible.

BobDopolina

by BobDopolina

The issue is still not with the tube, it is with the tire/rim combination. There is another factor at play here.

Based on your description I would assume that it was very, very easy to install the tire on the rim? Also, what size was the tire? Larger than 622x28?
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I have ridden that tire since with a 100 gram Giant tube without issue......700/23c

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BobDopolina

by BobDopolina

Now I'm intrigued.

What you're describing should not be possible if both tire and rim manufacturers are following ETRTO.

I've never worked with Vittoria but I used to work for Continental (in Taiwan handling OE warranty claims) and I still work with Kinlin (they're an OE supplier). This warrants further investigation as it affects work we are still doing.

It sounds like you're fine and don't really need any more feedback from me, or anyone else, so the thread has probably run it's course but I've just added this question to my list of stuff to get done.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.