Long spindle BB30

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Some of the more recent Quarq BB30 chain sets have spindles long enough that they can be used on threade frames with Rotor's BSA30 cups.

Does anyone know if this also means that they would fit in a BB86 shell on a Scott/Giant using either Rotor PF4130 or the new Enduro adapter http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/e ... -in-36675/ ?

My primary bike is BB30 and I'd like to run without adapters on that if possible but still retain full compatibility. 24mm still the safer spindle option but it would be nice to know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

You need a bb386 compatible crankset. I know rotor does them as well as lightning and Fsa but you would have to contact quarq to find out.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Agreed, thank you. The Quarq website says that they have had no success with BB386 mounting but that may be due to frame clearance rather than spindle length. I'm a Scott/Giant fan and would like to avoid any future compatibility issues so what I was hoping for was a photo of a working installation. I will contact Quarq but I think this might be a try it and see situation.

ms6073

by ms6073

As a general rule of thumb, cranks made for BB30 bottom bracket are not going to work well on non-BB30 framesets. FSA's K-Force Light 386, Rotor 3D+, and Zipp Vuma Quad adhere to BBRight/BB386 bottom bracket standard which achieve proper chainline with a longer, 30mm diameter spindle as well as more overlap of the drive-side crank arm/spider. Without this increased overlap of the bottom bracket shell, regardless of spindle length you will have a hard time achieving the correct chainline with a BB30 crank set.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

SRAM quarq cranks in all their varieties adhere to the BSA30/386evo dimensions like rotor 3d+, vumaquads, etc.
I am sure there are 386evo frames that won't take a quarq due to frame clearance, but I tested an FSA MegaEVO cup on a quarq and it cleared with room to spare. So I'd be inclined to believe that it would clear most bb86 frames too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

There does not seem to be much/any spacing required for Rotor 3d+ on bsa30 or pf4130 so I'm hoping the chain line would be fine with quarq. Still not managed to find anyone who has tried it though.