Why do pros use firmer saddles?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

phourgenres

by phourgenres

With the prologo scratch, they have a model that is used by the pros called the TR. Apparently, its the same, just firmer. Does anyone know why the pros would want a firmer saddle?

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

The TRs have a firmer shell and solid Ti rails. It's more for durability. So many miles would break down standard saddles relatively quickly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

Also, many of us prefer a firmer saddle. I love my K:1. Anything with padding causes my gentlemen's area to go numb. I find it perfectly comfortable for hundreds of continuous miles.

em3

by em3

JN2Wheels wrote:The TRs have a firmer shell and solid Ti rails. It's more for durability. So many miles would break down standard saddles relatively quickly.

actually....quite the contrary.

Remember that pro team riders have ready access to any part that they wear out, so longevity/durability of an item they use is the least of their worries. They might be worried about reliability, but certainly not durability/longevity.

The reason pros ride firmer saddles is because they are phenoms...remember that these guys are more then weekend warriors riding circles around a Burger King parking lot during the club ride lunch break. Pros spend many long days in the saddle and they ride THOUSANDS of miles per year. The last thing they need is a cushy saddle that is going to yield more saddle sores...they need something firm upon which they will be securely planted, without wobbling and bouncing around. Being securely planted on a firm saddle also allows them more power to the pedals, instead of bouncing and sliding around on a spring attached to their ass. These guys probably have such callused asses from riding so much that the last thing they need is a cushy saddle under them.

EM3

KLabs

by KLabs

em3 wrote:Remember that pro team riders have ready access to any part that they wear out, so longevity/durability of an item they use is the least of their worries. They might be worried about reliability, but certainly not durability/longevity.

The reason pros ride firmer saddles is because they are phenoms...remember that these guys are more then weekend warriors riding circles around a Burger King parking lot during the club ride lunch break. Pros spend many long days in the saddle and they ride THOUSANDS of miles per year. The last thing they need is a cushy saddle that is going to yield more saddle sores...they need something firm upon which they will be securely planted, without wobbling and bouncing around. Being securely planted on a firm saddle also allows them more power to the pedals, instead of bouncing and sliding around on a spring attached to their ass. These guys probably have such callused asses from riding so much that the last thing they need is a cushy saddle under them.

EM3

Hi em3, yes absolutely :) and they don't need the seat material to get damp and moist which if happens dampens the skin and is really bad for saddle sores (unless they stand up most of the time) :)

boolinwall

by boolinwall

My way of looking at it is simple. I prefer to sit on my saddle, not in it.

euan

by euan

Careful with the Prologo TRs. Some TRs come from OEM saddles on Cannondales others are the highend ones. The way to tell is the rail material. The high end TRs use the Solid Ti rail not the 1.4 or TS 2.0 rail

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

Because over longer periods of time the firmer saddle will not compress and will support bone structure instead of soft tissue compression that happens with softer saddles. That is why I went back to San Marco and the Regale. Firm saddle that I can ride all day.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

PSM

by PSM

It depends how "hard" you sit on your saddle.

Pros tend to lean quite a bit over their bars so the weight on their "gentlemes area" is less. And so do I.

I go numb with softer saddles too..

djconnel

by djconnel

I switched to a relatively soft Fiz'ik saddle once and it was living hell.

Think of it as an impedance match: soft butt = soft saddle, hard butt = hard saddle.

That said, after a winter of running my butt was as firm as always but my stripped down SLR had gone from 70-mile comfort to 2-mile torture. So adaptation is a factor, as well. My padded SLR is still fine, though.

ras11

by ras11

I think it's a generalization to assume all pros ride harder saddles. It's generally accepted that racers (pros included) prefer a well padded bib to a plush saddle. The padded bib has the padding where it needs to be. A padded saddle has the padding where it's convient. Too much overall padding causes bunching up (circulation problem), hot spots, and an artificial widening of the saddle. Just some thoughts.
:-) Toys-R-Us

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

As always saddles are an individual choice.
What seems extreme to one may be the most comfy seat to someone else and vice versa.
Not sure why but I like minimal padding of my bibshorts provided I can completely forget about them. Same goes for my saddle, really.
Seems I love that being one with the road kind of feeling. Not sure if it's that or a subjective sense of increased efficiency, don't know if there are any indepth studies on that.
You could trust Isaac Newton I'd suspect........

At times you hit a combination of gear that either grows on you or you have been so accustomed to it (sometimes through paine and shame) you just don't want anything else. As if as it has become part of your body.
If it needs replacing then that what you'd love most is just to acquire the exact same stuff and go.

Most of the time all of these items are long gone. Pity....

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

I also hate thick chamois in shorts. I don't know exactly when chamois turned into "padding", but it's as misguided as big, thick, cushy saddles are. To talk about how saddles should be supporting your bone structure and keeping pressure off soft tissue, only to then put a bunch of padding on it in your shorts, just doesn't add up.

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

We went from another brand of kit this season to Castelli and I love the way their chamois feels, it is not big ad bulky. I should say that we are using the Body Paint bibs and Aero race jersey. The chamois ends up being something now that I am not thinking about on the bike and that is a good thing. It dissappears.

As in my earlier post, pair this with the Regale and you have a comfortable place to put your bum
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Flex in the padding can also lead to chafing increases.

I have always preferred hard saddles and ridden 8+ hours on a number that lacked much padding. The Arione CX is about as padded as I will go. I find the Prologo line a bit too soft for my liking.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike