My Felt F1 build... First weight weenie project

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

austinla

by austinla

Long time observer. Finally joined to share the story.

I picked up a 58cm Felt F1 (2012) frameset from a member of the US cycling team. Built up but never used. Wow, it is beautifully finished. I'm moving my 2009 Sram Red group over from my CAAD10, which was moved to it from a previous bike. I've been chasing lightness for a while now.

Frame weighs 962g bare- without a seat collar, headset, bolts, etc. Just the bare frame
Uncut fork is 330g

My HED Ardennes SL (2012) are 1477 bare.
Skewers: 56, 51
Rim strips: 19 each
The wheels total out at 1622

Vittoria Diamante Pro II 23c tires are 195g and 206g. Not sure why one weighs 11g more than the other.
Forte light tubes at 68, 67.

From what I've found, in my taste and in my budget, the original equipment that came on the F1 are my choice for the seatpost, saddle, stem and bars. I'll upload weights on those items when they arrive.

Not sure how these posts work but just wanted to share in case someone like me is out searching for the weight on some of these parts, or is interested in building up the F1 themselves.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

austinla

by austinla

Update: Returning the HED Ardennes SL's.

I came across an article on the American Classic Tubeless Road Clinchers (Black Uppercut with the gray hubs).

Found them for $1062 shipped, and they weigh 1219 grams. Not sure on actual weight, but I believe it is close enough (at 1300ish.)

Also picked up some ZIPP Ti skewers. Not the lightest or the cheapest but didn't feel comfortable thinking about a 20 gram $20 skewer on my front wheel during a 45mph descent.

austinla

by austinla

UPDATE: DO NOT BUY FROM BIKESONLINE.COM

The American Classics were purchased from a company that is a total scam/sham. No way to contact them after they have your money, and they don't contact you. Had to open a paypal dispute and this guy called me demanding that I end the dispute (without a resolution) and then ended the call threatening to tie up my money as long as possible.

Angry online bike store owners make a day difficult.

rmerka

by rmerka

austinla wrote:UPDATE: DO NOT BUY FROM BIKESONLINE.COM

The American Classics were purchased from a company that is a total scam/sham. No way to contact them after they have your money, and they don't contact you. Had to open a paypal dispute and this guy called me demanding that I end the dispute (without a resolution) and then ended the call threatening to tie up my money as long as possible.

This LBS shares the same physical address as BIKESONLINE.COM

Crankhouse Cycles

Maybe give their local number a call.

austinla

by austinla

rmerka wrote:
austinla wrote:UPDATE: DO NOT BUY FROM BIKESONLINE.COM

This LBS shares the same physical address as BIKESONLINE.COM

Crankhouse Cycles

Maybe give their local number a call.

They have several domain names, actually. Probably for when something like this happens and a brand name is tarnished, they can just offer the same products through the other domain name. But for my situation, unfortunately it is too late. I created another post on what happened. They basically do not permit cancellations and I have to go through a PayPal dispute to keep from spending $240 to return the wheels I tried to cancel 5 times... 4 days before they shipped. Anyhow :x

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Wait....I'm confused, did you receive the wheels?

Saoi

by Saoi

Yes, he did. He's upset that after clicking buy and inputting his purchase details, he's going to have to pay shipping and a restocking fee because he got cold feet.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113829

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com