Road shoes - Ratchet vs Lace-ups

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Come on, you wouldn't put my ortho in your mouth to make the swap out? HAHA
Using Tapatalk

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I used to adjust my shoes on the fly until I got a narrow, half-size smaller (42.5) with high arch insole. Now, I lace up my S-Works Sub 6 and never even think about it because it fits like a glove, no need to adjust it. If you are fiddling with adjustment on the fly then you may want to consider a shoe that fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Boa rotational system was invented (by Vittoria in 1992) in order to provide a. the advantage of micro adjustement b. the advantage of adjustement even when riding.

We all know a foot can be slightly swollen during the day, certainly it does after a few hours on the saddle. I guess TineaPedis you know that as a podiatrist. No?

Certainly you will not have any 'health' problems wearing a laced shoe (I used to wear those for a couple of years when I was a teenager) but that does not mean that in terms of technology a boa system is not more advanced. It certainly is. The fact that marketing just persuaded many riders that old-school laced shoes are better, lighter, smoother, more aero, without any disadvantages is good fot the marketing guys. That's all.
I don't want to bring back the Vittoria 1976 laced shoe example again...

I've missed my 1950s laced ski boots btw
lol

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

It's not just those selling the shoes that extol the aero advantages of laces. But I know how you feel about that subject, so how about we leave that one alone.

Feet do swell during the day, varying between riders and the time of year. Some will notice and need to adjust, others not. There's a reason I road race in a BOA shoe. That said, shoes in the past have needed a micro adjust due to a poor BOA. So in some cases it's the egg coming before the chicken (or whatever way around you like to think of that analogy).
Last edited by Tinea Pedis on Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Classic laces look good, weighs little and have little chance of malfunctioning, but I cannot adjust it while riding.

Boa dials are good, but when I was riding 100k +, it completely failed and I had no choice but to use tape to tighten my cutting-edge boa shoes.

I guess both items complement each other, not being superior to another.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Nefarious86 wrote:Why limit yourself to just one option :) as for all the hate back and forth, why can't we just be happy people are out enjoying bikes. For those of you claiming that things are a fassion statement, have you ever thought about how something will look when you buy it?.... If it's comfortable and makes you smile then ride it. For those of you having problems with the BOA lace cutting into your foot try crossing the lace over the tongue, it helps quite a bit IMO and changed the feel of my MTB shoes completely when I was having the same issues and now do it to all of my BOA shoes.

Can you give any more feedback on the differences between the two S-Works closures? I have a high instep as well as using the same insoles as you. Currently riding these old knackered shoes at moment Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

uraqt

by uraqt

History and facts are important ...

It think "cable" ratchets are Sidi in 1993 but I could be wrong, I just don't know anybody who did it before then...

http://www.sidi.com/en/technology

Boa is an independent company and was 1997

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/origins- ... e-systems/

It's not just about the laces, all the material are many times better, I read that the upper in the 1st gen giro shoes was the most expensive shoe material you could buy, the same used in custom pro soccer shoes...

C

PS Skiing is much different than riding not even close

Sacke

by Sacke

ultimobici wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:Currently riding these old knackered shoes at moment Image

I have the same, and while having bought several other pairs of shoes, I still take those '09 rS-works road shoes out every now and then. For MTB, I have the same '09 S-works, and I would use them all the time, but boa lace is broken, and havent received the replacement lace yet. evil: Stuck with Sidis that I don't particularly care for.

User Name

by User Name

Did anyone find the aero test for laced shoes?

sawyer

by sawyer

ultimobici wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:Why limit yourself to just one option :) as for all the hate back and forth, why can't we just be happy people are out enjoying bikes. For those of you claiming that things are a fassion statement, have you ever thought about how something will look when you buy it?.... If it's comfortable and makes you smile then ride it. For those of you having problems with the BOA lace cutting into your foot try crossing the lace over the tongue, it helps quite a bit IMO and changed the feel of my MTB shoes completely when I was having the same issues and now do it to all of my BOA shoes.

Can you give any more feedback on the differences between the two S-Works closures? I have a high instep as well as using the same insoles as you. Currently riding these old knackered shoes at moment Image

I don't have the technical details to hand, but have owned and used both. New boas are better - they are just more reliable with a solid click. Slightly bigger I think. Having two boas also helps a bit in that it spreads load more evenly across top of foot. And is less of a single point of failure (the steel laces for each Boa are separate, so which far from ideal, you can certainly get home with one working, and actually ride ok if it's the upper one)
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: