AX Lightness Brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DamoRider

by DamoRider

I have a set of AX brakes but don't have the metal retention cylinder. I don't know the actual name of the piece but its the one that causes the brakes to clamp from the brake pull.

Does anyone know how to get replacements or if there is a way to create your own? I live in the US and I can't even find a dealer anymore since Fairwheel Bikes doesn't stock AX components anymore.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mariocippollini

by mariocippollini

I think you mean the cable clamp, just Contact AX Lightness direct, I'm sure that can supply you with what you need, just google the name and you will find the website.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Either that or buy it from a german e-shop. I'm pretty certain I have a link for that somewhere.
Just let me know and I'll try to dig it up for you.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I needed a part for my Ax lightness 3000 brakes and wroye to Ax lightness direct but never got a reply. As a matter of fact i wrote them twice. I then contacted R2bike.ge and asked them if they could source the part for me. They ended up contacting Ax themselves and I had the part in one month.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

mmmasotto is referring to this shop:

http://r2-bike.com/

Which happens to be the same one I was referring to earlier on.

Some of these shop are really going to great lengths to help a customer.This is one of those gems.

Ciao, ;)

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Fdegrove is correct. I got nowhere writing Ax directly. I am sure it took alot of leg work on r2-bike part to get that part for me.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

That being said, isn't it about time for AX to set up a decent distribution network and pay some respect to the paying customer (love the english language) instead of playing that transvestite role of hard to get so you'll want me part?

Ciao, ;)

DamoRider

by DamoRider

Thanks; I wrote AX and I will see what they say or if they respond but I will also write R2-bike. I actually bought some Schmolke SL handlebars from them recently and they were great to deal with even though I am located in the States.

In fact, I will say that R2 had some of the best customer service I have experienced from an e-shop. I ordered some MCFK handlebars but they were on back order so R2 contacted me to see if I wanted the Schmolke instead to avoid a long delay.

stelvio86

by stelvio86

...actually Fairwheel bikes has the ti anchor bolts for Orion/Perseus etc...no need to order from AX directly (a nightmare) or even German shops

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@stelvio86,

Checked Fairwheelbikes and found that they only have the AX seatpost and skewers, no AX brakes nor AX small parts available. Mind sharing with us the exact link?

As for myself, the main Hex centering bolt on my AX Orion has gone rounded, does anyone here knows if it's possible to replace it?

Venge80

by Venge80

A question for you that ride with AX brake . How does this brakes perform to standard brakes like SRAM RED and Dura ace.
I'am looking for some light brakes for my new bike but don't want to cut on performance to much?

stelvio86

by stelvio86

@ Maverick_1: If it is the brake anchor bolts you are after, Fairwheel had them but - you are right - not listed on the webiste -- you need to call them

@Venge80 - i have had AX brakes Perseus (and raced with them). They are OK but a bit weak, they lack a strong bite (I am 64kg) and really dont compare to Dura Ace/SRAM or Campy. Plus the AX have somewhat fragile Ti anchor bolts that many bike shop mechanic will strip from time to time (say 1 in 3 --> $$$)

i now have the THM Fibulas and they are soooo much better than the AX

DamoRider

by DamoRider

Great news: Fairwheel Bikes had two cable clamps :D

I will say that AX responded as well saying I could order the parts from them directly as well as R2-bike so I have no complaints besides that a stupid cable clamp costs $50/ea :shock:

sedluk

by sedluk

I strongly recommend HiBike.com for your Ax Lightness parts and they also carry THM. I have purchased lots of stuff from them and stuff from the other German place that was recommend. I saw the recommendation for the other place here on this forum. HiBike.com has a great system where they keep you up to date on the status of your order. As each item in your order is in stock you will receive an e-mail with the updated status of your order. You will not get that from the competition. And if you have a problem they will respond to your inquiry and fix the problem. You will have a hard time getting the other place to respond and I have had two occasions where there was an error and I have been very dissatisfied with the service. In one case I was sent the wrong part and they never sent me the correct part and I sent countless messages to them and gave up and ordered the part from HiBike. In the other case something was missing and I will have to deal with the manufacture. They were of no help at all. Two strikes you’re out, it should have been one strike and you’re out.

If HiBike does not have something listed you can ask them about it and they can probably add it. I think that in your case they do have your bolt listed “AX Lightness set brakemounting pods front wheel/rear wheel” for 9.9 Euro.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com