Red exo vs Fulcrum for ankle clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ipaul

by ipaul

Hi,
I'm thinking of updating my 2010 red cranks to either the new Red Exogram or a Fulcrum RRS. My interest is to improve the ankle clearance. I just don't feel I'm getting enough with my current crankset as my ankle bone can hit hard against the drive side bump as the Q always bugged me compared to campy. I am considering my fit but I convinced a change in crank will help.
I love the rest of the Red group, but can't decide between the Fulcrum or the new exogram Red, which appears to have improved clearance and looks smoother on the drive side.
Anyone have experience between the two that can comment on the clearance characteristic?
Thanks
Paul
:P

eric

by eric

BB30 or GXP (BSA)? Makes a big difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ipaul

by ipaul

Thanks,
Yea, not running a BB30 but I do understand it helps. Currently using the GXP. There's just something with these cranks that keep my feet further then I like and almost seems as my ankle rolls to the inside like it just wan't to get closer between each other. Not sure what the Q is on the new Red, but seems like its on par with other styles, but not sure if the numbers I'm seeing are BB30 or GXP values.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Keep in mind that ankle clearance and "Q factor" are NOT the same thing. Q is the pedals' stance width. Your ankle passes by the spindle area. A wider Q can give you MORE clearance, as that will put your foot laterally farther from the spindle.

ipaul

by ipaul

Yea I think I see what you mean, but it seems possible the distance is keeping my ankles from being as close as they want, so they roll in. The clearance part is more a preference I guess. Just hate hitting the center. Hate that I have to keep buying new booties :D

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Campag / Fulcrum Ultra Torque chainsets have a universal 145.5mm Q-factor with whichever cups are required for the frame.
Not sure about Power Torque but I think they are the same.

boots2000

by boots2000

I would say that if you need ankle clearance you need 2 other things before you even decide if crankset is a problem.
1.) Arch support- your feet are likely collapsing in to allow the ankle to hit cranks. You would be well served by a custom orthotic
or a higher arch shoe insert. Most stock inserts are terrible and also don't have enough arch support.
2.) feet need to go wider. Are your feet already as wide as they can go? Do you have pedal spacers in? Might be time to look at a pedal with a
wider axle. Shimano makes +4mm these days, Speedplay and Keywin make multiple widths, and you can get wider aftermarket axles for Look Keo2Max.
I have similar feet- without custom insoles and wider pedals my ankles will hit cranks- with those 2 cures I have lots of room. As an added bonus my feet, knees, and hips all line up and I can ride pain free (and I am a small to average size rider- this does not only apply to big guys).

ipaul

by ipaul

Funny you mention this. I have been considering new insoles. Been on the garneau's now and though comfortable not much for arch support. Was considering esols or fizik, but may just go custom.
To your point of going wide seems opposite to what I feel I need. I feel best with my feet close. I'm sure wide would keep my ankles from hitting due to the gap, but aren't my ankles moving in cause they want to be closer? Gotta see this is a rather new thing for me so naturally have suspect the cranks, but I guess getting older is doing its share to my arches as well.

boots2000

by boots2000

Your ankles are hitting the cranks because your foot is not supported and also not in "neutral" postion that allows your foot to hold the arch. Neutral foot is achieved when 2nd metatarsal, knee, and hip all line up.
Right now your foot is pronating inward and hitting the cranks.
Age could be a contributor to a changing foot. Feet can get larger and wider with age. I wear a size larger shoe than I did 10-12 years ago and need much more arch support.
What do the people who ride with you say about your pedaling/knees? If you are not clearly knees in to toptube, you probably need to be wider.
Also, do your hips ever hurt?
Try the arch support 1st- maybe even more support than you think you need. Sometimes correct arch support feels like too much at 1st. Like you have a big ball under your foot.
Then think about moving foot wider to get the knee lining up with 2nd metatarsal.

ipaul wrote:Funny you mention this. I have been considering new insoles. Been on the garneau's now and though comfortable not much for arch support. Was considering esols or fizik, but may just go custom.
To your point of going wide seems opposite to what I feel I need. I feel best with my feet close. I'm sure wide would keep my ankles from hitting due to the gap, but aren't my ankles moving in cause they want to be closer? Gotta see this is a rather new thing for me so naturally have suspect the cranks, but I guess getting older is doing its share to my arches as well.

tommasini

by tommasini

Shoe/ankle rub on Shimano 7800/7900 is a common known issue - starting with pros who have access to many fit experts/orthotics and everyone else beyond that.

That said I am less familar with the SRAM offerings but would venture to guess that the GXP line would have similar issues as Shimano. The BB30 does have some better ankle clearance. But for all situations the Fulcrums would be a great option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com