Panaracer tubular glue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bmkd32

by bmkd32

Hello you all I once again need your help.

I am going to glue on a set of tubulars, my preferred glue is vittoria mastik one. My shop only has panaracer glue.
1. Is panaracer glue any good?
2. Or should I wait and order the vittoria glue

Thanks for the help

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nitropowered

by nitropowered

I personally don't like Panaracer glue. Seems like it never sets up and stays gooey for a long time.

Also I can't stand the smell

gumgardner

by gumgardner

The Internet is your friend. Shop online!

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 (on both comments)

dwb

by dwb

As I prepare to glue tires on this season, the topic of Panaracer glue returns. When I started gluing, the LBS had Panaracer so it is what I used and have never had any problems with it. A couple times I used Continental glue, and although there were no complications, I did not like how stringy it was. Most people seem to regard Vittoria and Continental as the best, but since I am not having any problems, I have to ask; am I missing out on anything by using Panaracer glue?

gjash

by gjash

I've been using Panaracer glue for a few years now without any issues. I kind of figured glue was glue, but I'd like to hear also what these other brands can do that other can't. Can't imagine!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

yakstone

by yakstone

I have used a number of different glues including Vittoria; Panaracer is my glue of choice. My only complaint is it is getting hard to find these days.

dwb

by dwb

Thank you for the link, fdegrove. I doubt that anything revolutionary has happened in the world of contact cement, thus the articles, although 20 years old, are relevant. The gist seems to be that Vittoria Mastik has a bonding strength head and shoulders above anything else. It is a pity that the results from Section 3 are not listed, which contains data about Panaracer glue. On the other hand this prompted a search that yielded: http://www.engr.ku.edu/~kuktl/bicycle/bicycle.html

In any case, the advantage of Vittoria glue seems to be higher strength, but with Panaracer glue sometimes my basetape tears when removing the tire and more importantly, I am not rolling tires.

TheDoc

by TheDoc

+1 for vittoria glue.

by 11.4

Sadly, not only were the experimental protocols in that study rather irrelevant with regard to actual usage, the adhesives used have also been completely reformulated.

Still, I'd say that Vittoria Mastik One works better than any of the other adhesives for both road and track use, and for both carbon and aluminum rims. Go to a World Cup track event or to a major stage race, and you'll see Conti cement used when Conti sponsors the team, but otherwise it's Vittoria. In Japan, you'll find Soyo used quite a bit, and it's a very pernicious adhesive for track use, but it's also quite toxic and it's incompatible with Vittoria and hellish to remove, so it has some limited applicability on the track, but not really elsewhere. I've also found a few cases where the solvents in it (which make it rather toxic) also damage at least the finish of carbon rims and may actually damage the resin base of the rims. There are a few people who like to experiment with neoprene cement and other such adhesives, but there's really no need. One glue that you learn to use properly is a lot more effective than playing with (and potentially mixing) several different adhesives and not optimizing the use of any one of them.

If you can't find Mastik One at your local shop, look somewhere else. It's worth the effort.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

There is is one industrial glue I know of that blows away all others including Mastik One but it sure comes with a set of compromises.
Using it inevitably equates writing off the tyre and it may compromise the rim's integrity as well.
It makes all other rim cement feel terribly slow though.

Ciao, ;)

KLabs

by KLabs

fdegrove wrote:Hi, There is is one industrial glue I know of that blows away all others including Mastik One but it sure comes with a set of compromises.
Using it inevitably equates writing off the tyre and it may compromise the rim's integrity as well.
It makes all other rim cement feel terribly slow though.
Ciao, ;)

Hi fdegrove, what sort of post is this ... please tell everybody what it is so that they can all write off their tyres and rims (also), especially if it makes the wheel super fast ... :)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

It's what you'd call a "teaser". :lol:

Anyhow, the cement is called Terokal 2444.

http://www.loctite.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/henkel_uke/hs.xsl/fullproduct-list-teroson-4996.htm?countryCode=uke&BU=industrial&parentredDotUID=productfinder&redDotUID=190720102444

It's sometimes used to prep TT, Tri or track wheels to reduce rolling resistance to the minimum. I'm not aware of any damage to carbon rims so far but removing the tyre often means having to resort to slicing it as the bond is just too strong.
Stronger than most base tape to casing bonds anyhow.

Ciao, ;)

Geoff

by Geoff

Oh, you crazy kids! I think I'll keep on using (and recommending) Mastik 1...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com