Numb! Please suggest a WW saddle with cutout to help me.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

I'm going to blame this thread if this Velocite thing doesn't work out...
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

addictR1

by addictR1

^^ that's a nice looking saddle... would like to know if there's some flex in the saddle to act a cushion or if it's stiff and hard as hell. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

astranoc

by astranoc

I think this velocite looks exactly like a mega sq1 without the horrible graphics, very comfortable saddle

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0940598916

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

The velocite saddle was first brought up earlier in this thread, so there are some experiences posted. Based on the claimed size specificationd, I'm not sure this is exactly the same saddle as the mega, although there is a similar "suspension" design. Am going for first ride today, I'll report if my butt can tell the difference.
Last edited by carlislegeorge on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

addictR1 wrote:^^ that's a nice looking saddle... would like to know if there's some flex in the saddle to act a cushion or if it's stiff and hard as hell. :)

Well...here's my report after 3 rides. Generally, the saddle is pretty comfortable for me. This is a semi-round shape at the rear, so not perfectly flat. The claimed spring-like flex design, based on how the rails are attached at the rear, is noticeable and saddle doesn't ride too stiff.

Where it doesn't work perfectly for me is primarily the size, being relatively short length-wise (website claims 26cm x 13.5cm) makes it hard for me to find the sweet spot. Also, the perineal cutout feature typically doesn't add to comfort for me, no matter what saddle it's on, and this one is no different.

Riding in the drops, however, the negatives noted above disappeared. I may give it a few more rides, but have ordered a Prologo Scratch Pro to try out for non-WW comfort testing. If that works, I'll sell this Velocite saddle cheap to anyone that is interested.

Privateer

by Privateer

I has that sensation at first. It felt like I couldn't find the right place on the saddle to sit, if you know what I mean.

What worked for me was making sure that the saddle was completely level, or very very slightly nose up. When I did that I found that I naturally slid into the slight dip in the centre of the saddle (you can see it in that profile shot).

From your photo it looks like the saddle is slightly nose down. Try leveling it off.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

You're right, I re-checked and it was very slightly nose-down. I've adjusted to level or tiny bit nose-up, and will see if that makes a noteworthy difference. I'm still thinking the real drawback for me is the length, though. The "rear suspension" design approach, as illustrated below, seems to require a little adjustment period, too.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I considered that saddle and even a Smud.

I decided to try the Williams Aurora SLC+ and still considering the new toupe pro which looks awesome.

addictR1

by addictR1

I often wondered, if the nose is slightly up, wouldn't it hurt ur boys when riding in the drops? At least for me...

rjk8

by rjk8

I took a Kit Carbonio flow and stripped the leather off and it works like a dream. That being said the KCF was working for me before the strip but it was waaaaay lighter after getting rid of all the extra bits. Maybe you should try something that worked in the past and "modify" it like we WW like to do.
R.J.
Some people tune their car, I prefer to tune my bike.
http://ilcappellino.blogspot.com/

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

I had a KCF for about a month...no thanks, never got close to comfortable on longer rides. The cutout isn't something i need, that's a lesson learned that i need to remember...along with correct fore-aft positioning.

Rick

by Rick

Ah yes, Saddles....huge subject. Standard disclaimer: everybody is shaped a little differently, so you have to find what works for you.
But for what it is worth:
I have tried a LOT of saddles over the years, and always had either numbness or simple discomfort.
I seemed to gravitate towards the Turbomatic and Turbomatic Gel Flow. The Selle Italia Signo Gel Flow was also pretty good. Both had cutouts.

But neither was perfect, so I would still occasionally try another saddle. Then I tried the Pro Turnix. It is obviously shaped just a little differently than most, with no cutout, but a gentle "relief area" molded in. It seems to fit my crotch perfectly, and suddenly I just quit thinking about saddles. I guess that's the way a good fitting saddle should be: it just disappears from thought. It's 170 grams, so pretty darned light, but not extreme weight weenie.

So every time I saw one on sale, I would buy it. Now I have one on each bike and a couple spares stashed for future use. They are pretty cheap on sale.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

When I do saddle setup I do it sans padded pant. This helps me quick tell where me sit bone are and fine tune.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

voodoojar wrote:When I do saddle setup I do it sans padded pant. This helps me quick tell where me sit bone are and fine tune.

Seems like a good idea. But don't the neighbors complain? :noidea:

RedRacer

by RedRacer

I started this thread almost a year ago but many miles and dollars later I am still searching for a saddle that doesn't cause me discomfort or numbness.

This is what I have spent time on.

Specialized Toupe 143
Specialized Toupe S-Works
Specialized Romin Pro 155mm
Selle Italia SLR Super Flow 145mm
SMP Dynamic CRB (for sale)
SMP Lite 209 CRB (for sale)

My belief is that I need a saddle in the 140mm - 150mm range that is fairly flat in all directions with a reasonable amount of padding and a massive center cutout.

At this point I would be happy with a 250g saddle if I could sit on it comfortably for more than an hour!

Any suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com