2013 Mavic R-Sys wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

s4life

by s4life

BikeTart wrote:The Exalith coating wouldn't last 5mins in a wet CX race!

Oh sure, I only read the title of the thread and thought this was about the regular R-sys wheels... I was referring to those.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

BikeTart wrote:
Doolop wrote:they do seem to beat the crap out of you due to their unforgiving nature.

This can be true, but I've done 200km+ rides on them and felt fine afterwards. 25c tyres help resolve this too, although I've only just switched from the tyres they were supplied with.

I never had an issue with spin up or with getting beaten up. That was with the Mavic 23mm tyres too. In fact, I thought they were excellent to accelerate with up a climb. If I had the money I'd have a set.

Admittedly I probably do a few more km's and races that most people.

justkeepedaling wrote:Might be the least aero wheel ever used in the Peloton in the last 30 years

viewtopic.php?p=986464#p986464

if you're concerned about aero, then these are not the wheels you should be looking for in the first place.

Unsubstantiated exaggerations notwithstanding.

sawyer

by sawyer

It was the superlight version (a completely different wheel and very WW) that Basso spent most time IIRC.

I couldn't ride them due to aerodynamics. Why throw away speed? You're not getting anything back for that you can't get elsewhere without having to sacrifice the watts.

I know some people like the looks though it's very 2003 to my eye ... when big fat spokes were cool before we all discovered they were slow.

The stiffness is appealling (unfortunate turn of phrase) but nothing else IMHO.

The new carbon clincher from Mavic looks a much better effort (steel spokes ... aero rim) though the hubs still aren't near the top drawer.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

MavicZack wrote:Aerodynamics was less of a consideration, but when actually tested in a bike they're not quite as bad as you'd think.

sawyer

by sawyer

Tinea Pedis wrote:
MavicZack wrote:Aerodynamics was less of a consideration, but when actually tested in a bike they're not quite as bad as you'd think.

Is there data on this including the protocol - would be interesting to see.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

RM27

by RM27

I've had mine for about a year and have only positives things to say about them. So far the Exolith looks very good, admittedly I haven't done too many rain miles with them. I did have the brake squeal issue but got that sorted out with proper pad alignment and doing the toe in they recommend.

As far as the comment above about feeling beaten up - I find them pretty comfortable and I am using the stock Mavic tires. Think it depends more on tire pressure and road conditions.

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

8,598.7 miles on my 2010 R-Sys Premiums and not a thing wrong them. I've service them yearly with only light mineral oil. They are a dry weather wheelset though. Still have the original freewheel and pawls on them!

Yes they are very un-aerodynamic but they spin up to speed very fast. Mine weigh 1375g F&R no skewers.

Now coming to the end of their life so in the market for a replacement.

SDP

by SDP

i have a pr of the non exalith ones..2013 with white hubs etc ..

only a few short rides but they seem really nice

good accelaration /not to harsh a ride..look great in my white TCR

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

Hi all,
discussion of R-Sys on these pages is always fraught with emotion and opinion, so I'll not contribute anything that hasn't already been discussed. Here's a link to the last time I wrote anything substantial. My comments are on page 5:
viewtopic.php?f=113&t=115470

(forgive my primitive effort at redirecting to a prior WW thread topic).

Tinea regarding the aero test protocol, I don't know anything other than the info I saw was wheels tested in a bike, particularly at low yaw. believe it or not, at low yaw the wheels stir up the air enough such that the bike+ R-Sys wheels combo can register lower drag than the bike + aero wheels from other brands. This test was made over 4 years ago in conjunction with a racing team. It's small effect but was detected and presented to journalists at press function. However when factoring "watts to spin" I wager that any reduction in drag is negated. And, outside of a narrow band of yaw angles the drag reduction probably disappears.

All that being said, aerodynamics were not considered in the wheel's construction, and I don't think Mavic would claim any aero benefit. As discussed in my comments on the thread linked above, the primary design considerations were ride quality, stiffness, and light weight.

thanks as always for your interest in Mavic, and your kind consideration of my comments- zack
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.
http://www.mavic.com
http://www.facebook.com/mavic

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Hi Zack,

I read the other post and I enjoyed it very much. I don't want to hijack the thread however I do have two questions regarding the hub maintenance comment mentioned on the other thread. And this is somewhat related to the R-Sys as well as most Mavic hubs share the same design. You said just use 5-6 drops of oil but you didn't say where. I put the oil on the white bushing and the inside of the hub cavity. I figured the inside of the hub cavity needs oil so that the pawls would be lubricated against the hub shell internal surface. Where do I need to have oil and where do I NOT want to have oil? Lastly, my hub is beginning to have a little play. Do all Mavic hubs have some play when new or should I replace the hub shell whenever I detect play? Thanks.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Zack, cheers for jumping in. However I fully appreciate that anyone purchasing wheels with aerodynamics as a priority should probably consider some of Mavic's other options.

I've personally found the 2013 R-Sys SLR's to be a terrific wheelset, especially for a long days in the hills. Would I pick them for a primarily flat road race, probably not. But a lumpy day or climbing day, for sure.

Just my .02, others have found otherwise. Which is A OK by me.

s4life

by s4life

I have a set of 2013 R-sys SLRs installed in my Master extra Light and couldn't be happier:) the brake rims are indestructible, I don't see any wear anywhere... they can pass for new, even after a few thousand miles heh.