Anyone try Thomson's road or cross bars yet?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FastforaSlowGuy

by FastforaSlowGuy

Has anyone actually RIDDEN a set yet? I've seen plenty of media coverage, but scant ride reports from real users. Although a tick heavier, I'm thinking of going for the cross bars on my road bike, due to the shorter drop. I'm curious how stiff the bars are and whether the wide tops interfere with riding in the drops.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

I've had the Road bars on my bike for about 2 weeks, for a few rides. Size 44 weighs 187 grams on my scales (a few grams under advertised!). A nice piece of hardware. I'm liking them better than the Zipp SL Speed that I took off, which were just too narrow on top for my hands. The Thomson tops are indeed mildly ovalized, but don't interfere with riding in the drops for me (whereas my hands felt awkward in the Zipp drops due to their weird shape). Not sure what you're looking for WRT stiffness, but these bars don't flex at all, and I pull hard at times. There is no flare to the drops. Compact somewhat anatomic bend, but not too much so. They look like this:
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Amazing! Mine have arrived at work, I'm super excited to pick them up and RIDE! excited about that 'underweight' bit too...

FastforaSlowGuy

by FastforaSlowGuy

Gorgeous!