help me buy a 386 bb

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
goldielox

by goldielox

i need a 386 bottom bracket and not sure which one to get. what are the popular choices

Blitzenbuddy

by Blitzenbuddy

I use an FSA 386EVO crankset with a 386EVO frame. I can strongly recommend BBInfinite bottom brackets. They use a one piece design that is supposed to eliminate issues with alignment. I have had issues with some other brands, namely clicking sounds and improper wear of the crank spindle. The BBInfinite bottom bracket has worked like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

newforker

by newforker

Wheels Manufacturing outboard bb that threads into itself? Has lips on both sides, so no way it can come loose..unlike BBinfinite

goldielox

by goldielox

not sure if i like having to use an air hammer to remove it

newforker

by newforker

Shouldnt have to remove it, even if the bearings are shot..

by Weenie

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Just installed a new Wheels Mfg BB86 to replace a crappy pressfit SRAM version. I've had used them previously, but now the BB actually is threaded and screws into itself.

Way better than the press fit I had which I used loctite to secure it and deal with creaking.

I just had someone hold the frame securely while in the mech stand, and I hammer the crap out of the old one, first side with a screw driver, it popped out finally. Then used a socket/extension to get it flush against the other side still in the frame loctited in. Popped with with a few good whacks. No heating, and the old BB came right out. Just used some sand paper lightly to get it nice/smooth. Then greased the frame/bearing, used 1 wrench to install it. Once one side was secured and against the frame, I just screwed the other side with the wrench, and the other side never ever budged/turned at all, torqued it within reason, perfect. Smart design and resolves the creaking issue I would assume since the threaded connection keeps it secure in the BB.

For $99 for the angular steel contact bearings, really nice and smart design. For double you can get the ceramic version. Highly recommend it.

http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb ... ckets.html