Groupsets for the uninformed.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

prendrefeu wrote:Campagnolo drivetrains are made in Romania, not Italy, however this does not decrease the quality of the product. Just a point of information.

Not that it really matters but are there any facts to actually substantiate this ?

IMHO, those amongst us that ride Campagnolo, be that a gruppo, a wheelset or both have reasons that have increasingly less to do with how a drivetrain performs but more about how we want ourselves to be perceived.

That is what it is about nowadays and I'm as guilty as the next guy.

Yet, Campagnolo still is a company that, to my mind, reflectcs and in a way summs up the european spirit. It works great, does not demand excessive maintainance and most importantly, it has this knack for making you feel like a king on your bike.

It makes all other gruppos so unforgivably ordinary....

I know, I'm biased but far less than it seems, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The fact that it says "Made in Romania" on the box is a clue. I know the cranksets have been made there for some time but I'm not aware of anything else in the drive train that is made there like chains etc or even cassettes. I believe those are still made in Italy.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ticou

by ticou

If your worried about quality control watch 'Competitive Cyclist reviews Campy 11 speed' on Youtube. Chorus is fine as a daily beater, and I should know- three years on London streets at 109 kg without a hitch.

angrylegs

by angrylegs

fdegrove wrote:IMHO, those amongst us that ride Campagnolo, be that a gruppo, a wheelset or both have reasons that have increasingly less to do with how a drivetrain performs but more about how we want ourselves to be perceived.

I left Shimano years ago when I test rode Campy and fell in love with the thumb shifters, multicog shifting, the overall feel and the absolute beauty of it. Something about the gruppo felt non-mechanical to me. It was (and to me, still is) artful. Campy was everything 7700 wasn't and I made the change. So I'd say perception isn't the main thing about Campy for at least some riders, except for the fact that...

fdegrove wrote:Yet, Campagnolo still is a company that, to my mind, reflectcs and in a way summs up the european spirit. It works great, does not demand excessive maintainance and most importantly, it has this knack for making you feel like a king on your bike.

It makes all other gruppos so unforgivably ordinary....

I know, I'm biased but far less than it seems, ;)

... this is also true, so maybe I am also somewhat biased. Campy has a way of turning you into a cultist of some sort. ;)

ticou

by ticou

You need more Moonies to buy DA than Chorus.

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

prendrefeu wrote:Campagnolo drivetrains are made in Romania, not Italy, however this does not decrease the quality of the product. Just a point of information.

Checked my boxes...

Super Record FD, RD, Cassette all 'Made in Italia'

Cranks... don't know. I don't have them but would be curious? Any SR owners w/ the box still kicking around?

One thing I will say is that Campy is pretty good about keeping manufacturing in Italy. Checked my cycling cap the other day, thought made in China for sure - nope. Italia. Campy's good like that.

Cheers,

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Campagnolo have always outsourced some of their components.
Nothing wrong with that.
Typical partners in the seventies have been rim manufacturer Gipiemme for instance, no doubt others.

It doesn't really matter where something's being made for as long as the manufacturing standards are maintainend. It's just that this policy of outsourcing to foreign countries is indicative of our own local economy.
More to do with geo-politics than cycling, I suppose. 8)

Or, maybe some of us (mostly me I guess) are not so keen on buying that chinese vase not so made entirely in not China after all?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Campagnolo manufactures some products in Romania - deal with it. I think all mid to high end stuff is made in Italy or Romania, but believe some other items are made in Taiwan, although I'm not sure that's in Campagnolo-owned factories.

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/corporate/index.jsp
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/international/2011/11/10/campagnolo-opens-second-romanian-factory
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/509432/valentino-campagnolo-the-big-interview.html

Edit: meant "I think all mid to high end road stuff is made in Italy or Romania"
Last edited by HammerTime2 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

Well, I was just in chatting at a pro campy bike shop in Boulder and they told me Campy was made in Italy. I guess they were kinda wrong.

No reason they should charge a premium if it isn't. I'll look into it, and if so it will lower it on my list.

ticou

by ticou

All Shimano is made in central Tokyo for quality control of course, and that huge factory Mavic use in Romania only makes break cables .Of course. My Mavic elites say made in Romania, but I'm sure the blond blue eyed French expert wheel builder with a PhD in bike design only stuck the label on for a joke as he lovingly spent the whole weekend working on my wheelset in his state of the art workshop situated by the limpid waters of Lake Annecy. This is why the w/set cost £450, whilst my Zonda's, made in third world Vicenza, cost only £250.

davidalone

by davidalone

Northoceanbeach:

the reason why we won't answer the same way for pedals, is because, by and large, the FUNCTION of each pedal is different from each other.

do all gruppos shift gears? yes.
do all pedals help you pedal the bike? yes.

BUT. pedals have different cleats, stack, and float. speedplay cleats wear faster than the rest. Time cleats are the most difficult to find of the major brands, which may be an issue. look cleats are light but usually made of polymers ( at least the mid end ones are), and let me tell you I've seen way more look pedals smashed up in accidents than a sturdy, reliable shimano steel pedal.

why do you not like shimano JUST BECAUSE they don't use so much carbon? that is a rather irrational thinking there.
not saying that carbon isn't nice, (we all mostly ride carbon, anyway.) do you like the aesthetics of carbon, perhaps? I personally think that the dura ace cranks (especially the 7900, or the 900) looks really badass and would look really slick on a black cannondale supersix.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

Northoceanbeach wrote:No reason they should charge a premium if it isn't. I'll look into it, and if so it will lower it on my list.

They don't charge a premium. Campag's North American importers do.

ticou

by ticou

I do use Shimano spd pedals I have to say, always have done. Now Shimanoist's, say something nice about Campag, from the depth's of your subconscious jealousy if need be...

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Ticou, please stop.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

davidalone wrote:Northoceanbeach:

the reason why we won't answer the same way for pedals, is because, by and large, the FUNCTION of each pedal is different from each other.

do all gruppos shift gears? yes.
do all pedals help you pedal the bike? yes.

BUT. pedals have different cleats, stack, and float. speedplay cleats wear faster than the rest. Time cleats are the most difficult to find of the major brands, which may be an issue. look cleats are light but usually made of polymers ( at least the mid end ones are), and let me tell you I've seen way more look pedals smashed up in accidents than a sturdy, reliable shimano steel pedal.

why do you not like shimano JUST BECAUSE they don't use so much carbon? that is a rather irrational thinking there.
not saying that carbon isn't nice, (we all mostly ride carbon, anyway.) do you like the aesthetics of carbon, perhaps? I personally think that the dura ace cranks (especially the 7900, or the 900) looks really badass and would look really slick on a black cannondale supersix.

The function of each pedal is no different than each groupset, groups pedal, brake and shift....pedals turn the cranks. They may have slightly different characteristics like stack height and float, but they all have stack height and float, and to most people that's not much different than crank length, hood shape, how they shift, brake performance. So they both do a task.

I don't dislike shimano at all. I think that Dura Ace Di2 is probably the best functioning group there is, and I like the aesthetics, just not as much. I think the carbon makes it look better, but I also think that it performs better in a lot of applications like cranks. One day soon, Shimano will only make carbon cranks for Dura Ace. Just like there really aren't any top of the line aluminum frames anymore. Aluminum is for Land Rovers and cans and stuff, not $500 cranks, however good they are at forging aluminum, I'm sure if Shimano put in the work the could become the leaders in carbon cranks.

I guess why Shimano isn't my top choice is because it's the most common. It's not the lack of carbon, it's that probably 70% of road bike have it, and why Campagnolo sounds appealing is not just that it's made in Europe, but that it's rare. I know if you live in a big city, you probably see it alot. But I'll go for a ride today, and I'll count how many bikes I see out there have it on. I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't see any.