Have Zipp changed the curve on their traditional bars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iscarrr

by iscarrr

So I bought a pair of Zipp service course SL bars probably a 2 years ago, in Traditional bend, and just this week bought a new pair, but in beyond black colour.

Exactly the same, Service Course SL, TB (traditional bend). However clearly, as you can see, there are some differences!! The new Beyond Black pair, are more what you'd expect from a traditional bend, but ultimately I wanted the same bar I bought a year or two ago. It's hard to read, but the measurements on both bars, as printed on them, are identical.

Was my old bar mislabeled? or have they simply updated the shape?

Looking around the web, most (granted the links are old) seem to be closer to the older shape i have?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Interesting. Bad for you, but the shape on the left was not a big hit with people looking for a true classic bend. Contact zipp, even their web chat should help you out.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

ave

by ave

Interesting, the one with the bright markings are clearly not traditional in shape. (But they might have named it so)

woz9683

by woz9683

That is interesting, I have a carbon SL, a service course, and a vuka sprint, all different ages, all traditional bend, and all are identical in shape :noidea:

Did the old one just get mislabelled somehow? Or did they actually change the shape at some point?

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

The one on the left is how their alloy traditional bends have been coming. The one on the right is the first instance of a true traditional shape in their alloy line that I have seen.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

quite possible that they were misprinted. On my easton TKO and equipe bars, 4 of the 5 bars i've owned had the the bend clearly misprinted. i have ergo bends overlays on the classic bend of the eastons. this made absolutely no difference to me, but it's possible that they were just misprinted and your 2 year old bend isn't right.

thegunner

by thegunner

the one on the left looks eerily like the short and shallow bar i have...

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

thegunner wrote:the one on the left looks eerily like the short and shallow bar i have...

im with u on this.
http://zipp.com/_media/productdocs/BAR% ... %20ALL.pdf

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

There's nothing "traditional" about the left bar. it is their SSR super short reach, most often seen on the C and CSL (contour) bars.

afalts

by afalts

Your bar on the left is the older TB. They have now updated it to the right one, a truly 'traditional' shape.

The new SSR is the most similar, but as the name implies, less reach and shallower than what you were using.

Pity, as I really liked their older TB.

elSid

by elSid

Is there any way to tell what you'd get if ordering online today?

I agree with the others - the bend on the right is totally different. I can't believe they're both called the same thing (Service Course SL TB)

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

follow their diagram and order what you want. if what shows up is anything different than what you want, call them and sort it out.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Sorry to revive this thread again but I've just got the same problem. Did anyone find what was going on here?

I ordered the traditional bend but I've received a bar which can only really be described as 'ergo'. It's very similar to my old Short/Shallow bars. I've contacted the place where I bought them from, we'll see what they say. Seems very odd that the diagram which is printed on the bars clearly shows the proper shape of the traditional bend bars - but it doesn't match the shape of the bars I've got, despite the bars being labelled up as traditional bend.

Very odd...

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

do these websites not show you what you've purchased? tell your store of whatever that they messed up the order. 'On zipp's website, this is what _____ is, which is what I ordered through your site'.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

I decided to overlay the diagram from Zipp's website that is indeed also printed on the bars themselves... Okay so my photo isn't directly side on but you can see something isn't quite right here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com