Buying a frame to suit your style....!?!?!?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Looking at a new for frame for 2013. Back story is not a climber. Weigh in at 90kg at best though typically I can get up hills I am not the quickest. So, as such, been thinking about a frame to suit my shape such as a Venge which is described as a 'roulers' bike rather than the Tarmac, a climbers bike. I do like riding solo, hard and fast and can find decent less hilly loops. I can complete 100 miles in 6 hours solo no problem.

The question I ask myself is should I buy a frame to compensate for my weakness' in the guise of a Tarmac of play to my strengths with a Venge ? I dont search out hills, but usually enter a couple of events with hills in.

Does this make any sense ? :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drchull

by drchull

The frame won't compensate a thing for your weakness in this situation. Aero or not won't matter a bit going up hill and the weight difference is minimal here and won't make you 70 kg. Stiffness is likely the more important metric at 90kg. If anything climbing wheels might make the bigger difference but that is debatable.

Buy the frame that fits you better and that you think looks better.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

play to your strengths... and avoid going too light if you want 'climbing wheels'... youll likely be happier with something stiffer at the cost of a few hundred grams. (WW sacrilege, i know...)

dvincere

by dvincere

Why only Specialized?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Given you've never seemed much of a racer, how about picking the one you like most?

At the end of the day, seeing a bike that you love and always want to be riding will make you faster than one that theoretically will be 'making you faster'.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I guess this is where custom would come in handy. Some folks luck out and find exactly what they need from stock bikes. It's important to choose a bike that suits your style as much as anything in life. Adjusting your style to suit a bike would never be considered OK. So why not do some homework and find one that suits you. It helps to try a few things first. Sometimes, what we "think" suits our style, isn't always the case. I'd gone through about 5 frames in less than 2 years trying to find what suited me. Each one had it's strengths, but they each also had their weaknesses. I knew exactly what I wanted by first figuring out what I didn't want. Or need as the case may have been. I've got a custom carbon bike now and couldn't be happier. Perfect balance of weight, stiffness and comfort. The exact geometry helps as well. Am I any faster than I was on my other bikes? Nope! Not one friggin bit. But I do enjoy the rides a lot more now though.lol

cnbky

by cnbky

Tinea Pedis wrote:seeing a bike that you love and always want to be riding will make you faster than one that theoretically will be 'making you faster'.

spot on

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

canbakay wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:seeing a bike that you love and always want to be riding will make you faster than one that theoretically will be 'making you faster'.

spot on

+1 ... if you are choosing from Specialized then perhaps and SL4 or Roubaix S-Works as it will be lighter and more comfortable than the Venge and most likely feel more lively.

If you want VFM then get a new/discounted or nearly new SL3 and splurge on nice wheels and tubs ... or nice carbon clinchers if you can't manage tubs

Contador rode the SL3 after the SL4 came out and smacked the peloton to pieces so it won't hold you back (except for in the cafe stakes :-) )
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: