GIRO EMPIRE - Review (mini)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Megaclocker

by Megaclocker

Coming from 42eu Shimano. My 42eu Empire fit perfect.

They are definately wider then newer S-works shoes. Tried 42eu S-Works and they were just way too narrow. Empire seem to fit like my Shimano toe-box wise.

Mine were 220gr each.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

My blue pair is on the way... fortunately I am not a fashion-weenie because they match nothing I own.

KWalker

by KWalker

If anyone wants to sell a 44 Electric Blue I'll buy them.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

HaroldC

by HaroldC

Received my Giro Empire LTD yesterday and went for the first ride this morning........

The shoes were fantastic! Very comfortable, almost slipper like. Never felt the need to retighten, the laces tighten up perfectly when tying them the way they came from Giro. They are super light too!

headwind816

by headwind816

@HaroldC - what shoes did you come from? How would you describe your toe box? Did you find the shoes to "remold" to your foot as you road (not great wording, I hope you got the gist of the question)?

rexblue

by rexblue

I'm looking for a pair of electric blue empires in 42.5. If anyone has a pair they would like to sell or knows a shop that is getting some let me know.

HaroldC

by HaroldC

headwind816 wrote:@HaroldC - what shoes did you come from? How would you describe your toe box? Did you find the shoes to "remold" to your foot as you road (not great wording, I hope you got the gist of the question)?

I came from a pair of Louis Garneau's, but I've also had Shimano (custom molded) shoes as well. The toe box is plenty big, but not too big to be floating around. The laces really do a good job of isolating where it needs to be tight without any hotspots.

MOTOMATT
Shop Owner

by MOTOMATT

HaroldC wrote:Received my Giro Empire LTD yesterday and went for the first ride this morning........

The shoes were fantastic! Very comfortable, almost slipper like. Never felt the need to retighten, the laces tighten up perfectly when tying them the way they came from Giro. They are super light too!

I like,I want :thumbup:

engi

by engi

Looks really cool!!
aA bit retro even...but yeah, not a fan of laces. Had them in my old Lakes under the velcros (!), and every time I was going for a ride I had to spend some time doing the laces. Velcro makes it simpler :)

giant man

by giant man

HaroldC, whereabouts are you, thinking you've got yours through already, wonder when I'll get mine ...

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I ordered mine through Giro's "First 50 Friday" promotion. They still haven't shipped. When I contacted Bell Sports (Giro) they told me my shoes were backordered. Now it seems they are sold out. How is a special edition of anything backordered? And how did I manage to purchase one of the first 50 pairs offered to the public, out of only 400 produced, and am now being told they are sold out?

Giro just lost a customer of over 20 years...

dvincere

by dvincere

After riding my Giro Empires for a couple months I have one complaint. The material is damaged in a crash. The top layer shears off very, very easily. So I guess if you get them stay upright or they become less awesome really quickly.

KWalker

by KWalker

You could just not crash?

Had mine for about 10 days now, here are my thoughts:

Not any hotter so far than my old S-Works

Upper takes time to stretch out

You really do NOT need to cinch the laces down- just get em snug and they will stay that way. I had to stop on the first few rides and loosen em up quite a bit. Now I just pull em snug and never touch them.

Cleat holes are a bit further forward than on my S-Works.

Toe box is a bit roomy, but nice.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

deermatt

by deermatt

Great looking shoes, but cycling shoes with laces just take too long to get on and off, they're a little bit harder to adjust tightness, and the laces dandle. I used to use the bont t-1 lace up shoes and they were very nice, but the a1 with ratchets did the same thing, but were easier to use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VMac

by VMac

deermatt wrote:Great looking shoes, but cycling shoes with laces just take too long to get on and off, they're a little bit harder to adjust tightness, and the laces dandle.

Agree that they are great looking, but disagree with your next 3 points. 1) I spent the day at the track today, mostly waiting around between events, so I was taking off/putting on my shoes all day. Mentally, it seems like it would take longer, but it does not. Worst case, if you're finicky about it, it might slightly longer, but we're talking seconds, so really this a moot point. 2) I would say easier to adjust tightness. MUCH easier. That is the point of laces. 3) The laces don't dangle, they tuck into a special strap Giro built in.

These shoes aren't for everyone. They aren't the next big (retro) thing. But they are pretty sweet. The fact that they do not require adjustment during ride has made them my regular shoe for now.