GIRO EMPIRE - Review (mini)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

PinaRene wrote:Here are mine.

For the correct size : I've had Sidi 42/ 42,5 - Mavic 42 - Shimano 42 , and now the Giro ACC in size 41. But have more room in the toe box than Sidi. It's more like Mavic but they don't fit me as fine as the Giro's especially because I wear custom support soles.

Very interesting. I wear 41 1/3 from Mavics and I found the 41.5 giro empire slx really tight. I ended up with a 42 and I have slightly more toe room, but overall it's very comfortable. I second the comments that the slx runs slightly small.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naambezet

by naambezet

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Seems classy, but cannot adjust how tight the shoes are on-the-fly.

I will buy one soon, but will not use solely.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

Dez33

by Dez33

@naambezet is that the standard laces the fluro colour come with?

nickcube

by nickcube

Anyone have any idea how people are able to create the awesome designs they do on the giros? I'd love a pair of Black VR90s but the orange ruins it. Is it just plain old sharpie's used or can you use some sort of paint to go over the top? Got a couple of mates who do art at school so I'd be keen to let them loose on it and see what they might come up with, cheers

naambezet

by naambezet

Dez33 wrote:@naambezet is that the standard laces the fluro colour come with?

I bought those on internet

kantcantcamp

by kantcantcamp

ive had some problems with the screws in the speedplay adaptor in a old pair of empire shoes. because of that have been considering going speedplay specific sidis.
anyone with similar experiences? (i am aware that speedplay is the one who makes the adaptors but its more a question of sucessful pairing of speedplay and giro shoes...)

DDX

by DDX

http://www.giro.com/eu_en/empire-slx-lava.html

Would like to get them, but can't find them online.

bilwit

by bilwit

kantcantcamp wrote:ive had some problems with the screws in the speedplay adaptor in a old pair of empire shoes. because of that have been considering going speedplay specific sidis.
anyone with similar experiences? (i am aware that speedplay is the one who makes the adaptors but its more a question of sucessful pairing of speedplay and giro shoes...)

been on Giro Empire ACC with SpeedPlay for a couple years now and never had a problem. Gone through two SpeedPlay cleats on em (Zero + Zero Aero Walkable)

caadbrad

by caadbrad

DDX wrote:http://www.giro.com/eu_en/empire-slx-lava.html

Would like to get them, but can't find them online.

They are on biketiresdirect for $294 at the moment.

They are pretty dang sweet.

DDX

by DDX

caadbrad wrote:They are on biketiresdirect for $294 at the moment.

They are pretty dang sweet.

Not my size :(

Tried some shops in the Netherlands and UK but no luck :

'Unfortunately, the UK supplier for Giro is not currently able to source these shoes so we would not be able to order these in for you I'm afraid.'

Darkday

by Darkday

Sorry for posting in an old subforum, I'm looking to get a Empire SLX size 46, but not sure if it will be too big for me, feet length 28.5cm ish, with my running shoes in a size 11 for adidas. Any suggestions? Thanks!

aplcr0331

by aplcr0331

Darkday wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:03 am
Sorry for posting in an old subforum, I'm looking to get a Empire SLX size 46, but not sure if it will be too big for me, feet length 28.5cm ish, with my running shoes in a size 11 for adidas. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I wore a size 12 in Adidas Boost (8) and have some Giros in 46.5. The Giros are very snug but easy to adjust with the laces. I have a size 47 in Shimano shoes and plenty of room in those.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Darkday wrote:
My feet measure about 27.7cm...I found Empire 45s were okay for length but way too narrow...check the width
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Darkday

by Darkday

Squashednuts wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:23 am
Darkday wrote:
My feet measure about 27.7cm...I found Empire 45s were okay for length but way too narrow...check the width
Really appreciate the help! So length wise, I should be fine right? My feet are 9.8cm at their widest, any thoughts on this? I did try a Fizik R3b and found that too narrow, but Empire ACC fine.