GIRO EMPIRE - Review (mini)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattharrop

by mattharrop

The NZ distributor isn't bringing in that colourway... Only the black and white. Might have to buy from offshore or just go for the patent black.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I've just got a set from Always Riding in the UK because the Aus importer isn't bringing in the half sizes - arrived in less than a week.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Elrey

by Elrey

Could anyone help me find a UK or EU dealer who has it in other than size 43?

mallardducks

by mallardducks

My first shoes were the classic pro-level summer Detto Pietros. These were things of beauty, the quality of the leather was beyond belief. A million "breathing" holes, thin as paper, soft as butter and the smell of that Italian leather when new... wow!

They of course were lace-ups and the combination of the lacing, supple leather top and leather inner sole (they had moved to a plasticky/composite outer sole with leather inner sole at this time) was a shoe that truly molded to your feet as in custom-fit. So in theory I can fully understand how a modern interpretation of the classic cycling shoe will definitely work as far as providing a superior fit versus the various ratchets, Velcro and BOA combinations.

The whole shoe - pedal system of back in the day was actually horribly uncomfortable despite the custom fit light as air nature of the shoes. Classic pedals/toe clips and the thin/flexible soles of back in the day resulted in hot spots/pressure points and discomfort in general. But having experience with the old days I can definitely see how modern soles and pedals will make a shoe like the Empire work.

For added security and adjustment on the fly do as many riders did in the old days - wrap a leather toe clip strap around each of your shoes and cinch it down. Preferably Alfredo Binda. Though I gather from the comments of people that have bought Empires this is wholly unnecessary.

Hoven

by Hoven

tharmor

by tharmor

Read the thread. Still in need of a quick answer. Do these run narrow, or will they be accommodating for a wider than "pro" foot?

Also, what are you owners doing with the extra part of the laces? I have half a mind to cut them down to the appropriate size once I've got that dialed.

Grill

by Grill

They're not terribly narrow. I'd say somewhere in the middle and they have some give.

As for the laces, you tuck them in to the elasticated tab in the middle.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

I'd actually say they're pretty wide. The insole is the widest I've seen except from the wide fit Shimano. The outer is also very flexible and will give if you have a wider foot.

As mentioned above you can just use the elasticated strap on the tongue to secure the spare laces.

tharmor

by tharmor

@geill & @mitchgixer6 - thanks for the answers! Here's the thing, though - why keep all that extra "lace" once you've dialed in the fit? What would be the harm in just trimming them down and burning the new ends (or something to that extent)?

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Indeed nothing stopping you doing that. They are pretty long and you do end up with quite a lot of excess, but I like the fact that all that excess is tucked away securely, you don't need to worry about it coming loose and flapping about. I'm sure that's why they use laces that are so long.

You could either just buy new laces that are shorter or do the trick that Phinney does and wrap them underneath first before tying.

HaroldC

by HaroldC

tharmor wrote:@geill & @mitchgixer6 - thanks for the answers! Here's the thing, though - why keep all that extra "lace" once you've dialed in the fit? What would be the harm in just trimming them down and burning the new ends (or something to that extent)?

The Empires have a very roomy toe box, and the laces allow for more give as well.

I just tie a double knot and tuck the laces away in the elastic. It's not that big of a deal and having that extra lace length makes it easier to tie as well. It would be a real pain to cut them perfectly and have to tie them with such little slack. Tucking them away also keeps the laces from flapping, which would happen if you cut it just long enough to tie.

tharmor

by tharmor

mitchgixer6 wrote:You could either just buy new laces that are shorter or do the trick that Phinney does and wrap them underneath first before tying.

I just bought a pair (scored a hookup) and so I will try a couple of things out and report back. I was wondering if anyone was wrapping them underneath soccer cleat style. And you answered that for me.

tharmor

by tharmor

At Sea Otter, Giro just released 400 pairs for sale :: https://admin.shoptab.net/product_searc ... r_id=15187

leicaman

by leicaman

I picked up a pair of Empires recently and have put a few 200+KM rides on them. I nomrally take a 46 in a shimano shoe so I went with the 46 in the Empires too. They fit very well but do feel a little narrower than the shimano shoes I had before, but not too narrow, just snug.
I've had no hot spots as of yet and but I did get a little pain in the arch of my right foot so I switched from the medium arc support to the low and things are a lot better. I do a fair amount of running and don't like to rely on arch support.

I went with the blacks as I can change the laces to any colour I wish in order to match the rest of my kit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

nice calves dude!
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.