GIRO EMPIRE - Review (mini)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Krackor

by Krackor

I laced my pair in the "straight european" style, but flipped inside-out so the parallel strands are on the inside and the crossing strands are on the outside. The parallel strands give a nice even pressure on the top of my foot, no pressure points from overlapped laces. There's plenty of friction from the overlaps on the crossing strands so they hold tension well while I am adjusting things prior to tying the laces. Once I have the right tension set I could actually take a few steps with the laces untied and they wouldn't slip at all. This makes it very easy to get correct tension without contorting my fingers holding laces in place while I tie.

It doesn't end up looking particularly pretty or symmetrical, but they just disappear on my feet when I ride. Had my Empires for 6+ months and I can't imagine a more comfortable shoe. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

prendrefeu wrote:I don't own a pair of Giro Empires...
But from what I gather in this and other threads, if you've got one you are also a bit keen on being stylish.

In which case, I'll just leave this here:

Have some fun. :wink:

who would have thought there were so many ways to tie a pair of laces!
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

Devon

by Devon

Beautiful shoes. I wish I could afford them.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

If anyone wants a pair of size 44s, mine are a bit too small for me, barely used. 100 Eur shipped in Europe.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/104504534@N07/12099394935/

Roel W

by Roel W

ultyguy wrote:If anyone wants a pair of size 44s, mine are a bit too small for me, barely used. 100 Eur shipped in Europe.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/104504534@N07/12099394935/

If they were the black ones, I would have bought them.
Anyone who know where to find an affordable pair of black Empire shoes in size 44?

Anyone more news about Giro shoes in general? I have a pair of Trans but for some reason, all Giro shoes are hard to find in Europe.
When will they come up with new models?

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

There's quite a few places in the UK stocking the 2014 Empires, but they're all over £200. Check Evans cycles, they were selling the Pro light off at half price recently.

I had written a mini review on my new Empires yesterday, but it disappeared when I hit submit. Will do it again when I get time.

michaelten

by michaelten

HaroldC wrote:Just wanted to provide another update..... I still love these shoes! They remain comfortable, and I never had a problem overheating this summer. The shiny outer really had been more durable than expected, not really showing much wear or scratches.

I took a quick shot with my iPhone..... After being heavily used, guess which pair I've been using and which pair are brand new. Color difference is an artifact of the camera and the light and not a difference in person. (I was lucky and found another pair at BikeTiresDirect, so of course I had to buy them as a spare pair! :D )

I have a pair of these as well. I love them but I don't wear them too often as I am worried about scratching the beautiful soles.

giant man

by giant man

i have a pair too, i know what you mean about scratching them, sad but true eh? lol

tkailoon

by tkailoon

But the laces are really long. Won't it get in the way during pedalling?

Roel W

by Roel W

mitchgixer6 wrote:There's quite a few places in the UK stocking the 2014 Empires, but they're all over £200. Check Evans cycles, they were selling the Pro light off at half price recently.

I had written a mini review on my new Empires yesterday, but it disappeared when I hit submit. Will do it again when I get time.

Pro Light SLX at Evans is only available in limited sizes and colors.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Sorry, they must have sold most of them. I've just returned a pair of white in 43 if that's any use.

There is a loop on the tounge of the empire's where you can tuck the laces out the way.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I prefer BOA to laces and my S-Works 74's for training, but for race day my 2013 S-Works are light, stiff and functional. Not going back to laces any time soon, but they do look nice.
carbonLORD.com

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

carbonLORD wrote:I prefer BOA to laces and my S-Works 74's for training, but for race day my 2013 S-Works are light, stiff and functional. Not going back to laces any time soon, but they do look nice.

You'd be surprised how good the laces feel after years of using BOA's. I can dial in as much tension on each eyelet as needed, and my lacing makes sure it stays there pretty much set even when I take them off. Yes of course you can't adjust them on the fly whilst riding, but my Empires are 20g a pair lighter than 2014 S Works.

barsook77

by barsook77

I thought we got rid of laces 28 years ago?

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Plus, I don't know about you but my feet sometimes swell in the summertime and shift where on the fly adjust-ability is preferred, and what do we do with all that lace slack double knots or tuck? Its a great lookin' club ride shoe, but not for me.
carbonLORD.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com