GIRO EMPIRE - Review (mini)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

superdx

by superdx

Giro does make wide shoes, they're labelled as "HV". Haven't seen that for the Empires though.

dagjonas

by dagjonas

It not necessarily the wide part that's most important. I don't have especially wide feet, just happen to have the 42 in wide, without trying regular.
Anyways, the length is crucial, Shimano 42 is 26.5 cm, and when using Giros sizing tool on the Empire page, putting in 26.5 cm gives me 41.5. I doubt that a bit, as I've heard the Giros are a bit small in the sizing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

I happen to wear a 42.5 in both Shimano and Giro. My Specialized are 42s.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I can wear 42.5 little tight in the toe box for both empire acc and sworks shoes .. Next time 43..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

HanSolPark

by HanSolPark

I also use these shoes! These are really comfortable and fit on me.
Sometimes the strap makes me bother but I can accept it.

dagjonas

by dagjonas

Impossible to get hold of the half sizes here in Norway. Does anyone have an online store with the half sizes that ship internationally?

wrenegade

by wrenegade

Finally picked up my pair (ordered them in January). I ordered 42.5s and 43s in just to be sure on fit, and ended up in the 43. Previously in Specialized S-Works road shoe in a 42, and I also have a pair of the Giro Empire MTB shoes in a 43. The Empire SLX and MTB fit very similarly, with the Empire SLX perhaps being a touch tighter fit.

erik$

by erik$

dagjonas wrote:Impossible to get hold of the half sizes here in Norway. Does anyone have an online store with the half sizes that ship internationally?

I ordered my road Empires from Competitive Cyclist a couple years ago without any trouble.

Curious George

by Curious George

I first bought a whole sized pair of empires (sz 44) and found they are too tight after breaking an ankle last year so only wore them for about a week. The one thing I noticed in that time was that the material was very stiff and did not really conform to the feet.
Next bought a pair of VR90's in a sz 44.5 which turned out to be the goldilock's fit in terms of size.
I eventually purchased a pair of the SLX's in 44.5 for the road. The one thing I did notice with these is just how much better they conform to the shape of your feet over the standard empires.

Overall I can't rate the SLX/ VR90 versions highly enough if you want a shoe that you can fine tune the tightness on.

amey

by amey

If I am using 43 mega (wide) sidis should I not bother with Empire? I quite like the look of them.

I know they make HV shoes for wide fit just not empires.

dagjonas

by dagjonas

erik$ wrote:I ordered my road Empires from Competitive Cyclist a couple years ago without any trouble.

Any input on sizing? Mostly compared to Shimano road shoes (or Sidi).

lippythelion

by lippythelion

^I wore 46 Sidi Wire and now wear 46 Empire SLX, they are almost identical. I don't know about the original Empire sizing though.

JackWalk

by JackWalk

I love the fact that shoes with laces were called club ride shoes, even though most track racing shoes where more pressure is put on the shoes than road riding, have laces.

kim

by kim

nks for the review

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cookiemonster

by cookiemonster

Hi

Would anyone have a source for replacement laces? I'm struggling to find flat laces of a similar length, width and elasticity.

jon