BMC TMR01 Review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BCSS

by BCSS

Had a chance to get a proper ride on a BMC TMR01 so thought I ll share my experience.

First off the usual disclaimer, I don’t work and don’t have affiliation with BMC or any supplier/ affiliate. I am also not a journalist or in any way involved in the bicycle industry. I got the bike at the official test day, since April this year BMC offers twice a month its entire range for a day long test ride against a small charge (c. GBP30).

I have not ridden a large number of bikes, so my comparisons will be limited to Cannondale SuperSix (my own bike), Serotta MeiVici SG and Cipollini RB1000.

The Ride

I rode 130km with c. 3500m climbing, in all kind of conditions and terrains ranging from steep climbs, rolling hills, technical descents on narrow roads, gravel road, long nice descents, head wind, rain, freezing temperatures etc

Design

You probably will either like it or not. It certainly stands out and it is nice that a large bike company has the courage to put out some unusual design. I certainly like it as it looks extremely sporty and fast as well as ‘engineered’.

Riding Position

On the handle bars it is not extreme at all, it is pretty much the same as with all the other bikes I rode bar the cipo, which has a more extreme riding position. I didn’t feel any discomfort at any point in time neither climbing in the saddle or out of the saddle or on descents . In the drops, you get quite low and it is certainly a more extreme position, though probably also a matter of choice of handle bars.

Power Transfer/ Stiffness

This is certainly one of the major strengths of the bike. It is very stiff and the power transfer is very efficient, I certainly could feel the difference to the SuperSix particularly on steep climbs and out of the saddle, when sprinting. It feels very similar to the Serotta on the climbs.

Handling

Front end is very stable and the bike nicely follows where you point it. Even at 50/60 km/h into a (wide) corner is not a problem and you could certainly push it faster. It gives you much more comfort than the SuperSix, which when you don’t perfect lean into the corner can get a bit unstable at higher speeds. Only the Cipo gives you even more comfort into high speed corners. However, while Cipo isn’t very agile for small and immediate direction changes (ie to circumvent an obstacle) the TMR01 is much more agile.

Comfort

The bike is relatively comfortable and doesn’t feel harsh, though to be frank the roads were very good, so the judgment on UK roads is still out.

Integrated Brakes

I was quite sceptical based on what I read from other bike models. However, BMC really managed to solve it well. The brakes are certainly better than my SRAM force, particularly in the wet, though not as strong and good to modulate as the Campi SuperRecord Brakes I had on the Serotta. I had no issues to slow on wet technical descents or on 20% downhill sections.

AERO

Very difficult to judge, though it seemed to me that there were some effects (maybe I also only imagining), the bike kept the speed better on the descents and on the flats it was easier to run at 35+km/h vs the Cannondale (both bikes had the same wheels) and the Serotta.

Weight

Haven’t put it on a scale, but didn’t feel super light ie compared to the Serotta, but then with Ultegra and Cosmics now bike ever will.

Conclusion/ Pricing

Think that BMC made a great bike with the TMR01. I think the really managed to combine Aero with excellent climbing capabilities/ stiffness. The design will not please everybody but I like it. When riding it you certainly felt that it was very well engineered, though what it was a bit lacking is the emotional ‘flash’ of the Cipo.

Think it really is great bike that allows you to use it ie in a Triathlon on day and in the French alps the next day. At GBP 3,200 for the frame and GBP 8,500 for the to end DI2 version, it is certainly not cheap, but it certainly can keep up with more expensive bikes such as the Cipo or the Serotta (both at 4.5k). While it doesn’t have the emotional flair as the other two, it certainly is more versatile and very unique in design (ie vs. the Serotta).

Hope this is of interest. Please feel free to add your views or ask questions. I certainly would be interested what bikes in that price range you think are ‘better’ and why.

jipperd

by jipperd

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this innovative high end performance bike, which not many of us have ridden yet. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Murphs

by Murphs

Agree with everything you've said (I own one)

jipperd

by jipperd

The most discussed factor, forgetting the looks, is the riding characteristics more specific the level of harsh ride it provides. BCSS, you already mentioned that you haven't found it 'too harsh' yet haven't ridden less smooth surfaces. @Murphs, can you add some information regarding the ridding of this bike?

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

BCSS wrote:I certainly would be interested what bikes in that price range you think are ‘better’ and why.

Are you looking in this price range for a new bike?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

BCSS wrote:[img]At GBP 3,200 for the frame and GBP 8,500 for the to end DI2 version, it is certainly not cheap

That is awefully expensive considering you can pick up a complete Ultegra bike for just on $6k here in New Zealand

clarkson

by clarkson

I have ridden a few examples of the TMR, as I race for a BMC sponsored team. I find the ride to be a bit more firm than the Teammachine, but the ride quality of both bikes is phenomenal especially when consideration is given to the stiffness.

The TMR, ridden back to back with the Scott Foil is a pretty staggaring difference. For two aero road bikes, the TMR is just as stiff, but remarkably better composed over potholes and rough ground.

My best generalization is that the teammachine is better than most road bikes for ride quality, and the TMR is on par with most road bikes for ride quality, but stiffer and faster. And way better looking.

mattjevans

by mattjevans

Derek, do you mean you can get a BMC TMR01 ultegra di2 for nz$6k? I should come home!

Murphs

by Murphs

It would just be regular Ultegra

TeoTri

by TeoTri

I love this bike!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Yeah, Murphs is right, mechanical TMR01 Ultegra $6500 and Di2 Ultegra $9k. But they are doing 2012 Di2 Ultegra SLR01 for $6.5k