HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:31 pm
Posts: 6
looking at one of Denti Scheggia, but i can't find any information.
the current owner thinks it's columbus scandium?
it's got a carbon rear triangle and forks.
replacing my holdsworth which is quite a porker (about 6.5lbs) so wondered if it's a good buy for around £200 or at least a first step into lightweights

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:48 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:47 am
Posts: 879
Location: somewere floating between here and the other side
Its columbus, not sure, wheter its starship or airplane, the dimples in the downtube tell me thre columbus early 2000, it was a high end aly tubeset, th dimples were for comort or something like that should be a light frame


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:52 pm
Posts: 154
Location: NZ
Columbus XLR8R (something like that - think accelerator) and I think it's Scandium. Yes, 'vibration dissipating' dimples. There should be someone who has ridden a frame of this tubeset; I only considered one in early 2000's.

_________________
Less is more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:48 am
Posts: 1147
Location: Central USA
With Columbus "Muscle" fork and stays and given the tubing shape my money would be on Columbus XLR8R tubing - not ultra light but very high end and durable alu.......still riding much the same still today.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:31 pm
Posts: 6
thanks guys, so maybe worth considering as a buy then?
the owner reckons that it's under 4lbs weight. sounds like this might be optimistic and it should be lighter, but he has no scales to weigh it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:36 am
Posts: 1132
Location: UK
I've seen the original ad that dates it as mid 90s but that can't be correct as carbon rear triangles didn't come in until the early 2000s.

nuovorecord, you might want to check with the seller that the BB can be removed. Could save you a lot of grief.

Nice looking frame.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:31 pm
Posts: 6
5 8 5 wrote:
I've seen the original ad that dates it as mid 90s but that can't be correct as carbon rear triangles didn't come in until the early 2000s.

nuovorecord, you might want to check with the seller that the BB can be removed. Could save you a lot of grief.

Nice looking frame.


i have a shimano tool, so could possibly take it out there and then?.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:31 pm
Posts: 6
and here it is.....there are no stickers with frame material type though, and i can't find much information on it either.
the frame weighs about 1.25kg, the forks about 400g

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:51 am
Posts: 1684
nuovorecord wrote:

i have a shimano tool, so could possibly take it out there and then?.....


Its not about the tools, its about whether the BB has seized onto the frame ! :!:

Likewise for the seatpost.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:31 pm
Posts: 6
maxxevv wrote:
nuovorecord wrote:

i have a shimano tool, so could possibly take it out there and then?.....


Its not about the tools, its about whether the BB has seized onto the frame ! :!:

Likewise for the seatpost.


and i checked with the seller as instructed, the seatpost came out fine, it all seems "hunky dory"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:44 pm
Posts: 86
Hi

99% sure this was my old frame. I

I can't remember the tube set but it was definitely a scandium mix alloy. The condition 2-3 years ago was virtually as new and the BB that I installed was well greased and not over tightened so it should come out now problem. The frame rode really well and I only sold it as the reach was too long for me.

I sure the guy I sold it to was called Lee and I met him at a train station in UK. The whole deal was really straightforward.

You won't be disappointed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:48 am
Posts: 1147
Location: Central USA
nuovorecord wrote:
and here it is.....there are no stickers with frame material type though, and i can't find much information on it either.
the frame weighs about 1.25kg, the forks about 400g

Image


Is that large silver box behind it the (then) current technology battery for the electronic shifters that came with your frame - where does it actually mount, in WW form what does it weigh, and how long does it last between charges (as I see it's charging now).


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:24 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:31 pm
Posts: 6
Flint wrote:
Hi

99% sure this was my old frame. I

I can't remember the tube set but it was definitely a scandium mix alloy. The condition 2-3 years ago was virtually as new and the BB that I installed was well greased and not over tightened so it should come out now problem. The frame rode really well and I only sold it as the reach was too long for me.

I sure the guy I sold it to was called Lee and I met him at a train station in UK. The whole deal was really straightforward.

You won't be disappointed.


yep -thats the man, i got it for a really good price too (well i think so) it's still good condiotion now.
i got the BB out last night no problems


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], hilts, random101, simnorm and 32 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB