How do I fit a Specialized Romin Pro (9mm carbon rails) on a CG-R post

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zalle

by zalle

Hi guys, I just got my Romin Pro saddle, and the rails are 9mm instead of 7mm. My CG-R seatpost has a specific clamp which will not take the 9mm rails.

Do I have to buy this part, or is there another way? Thanks:

https://www.bike24.com/p238241.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Your CG-R seat post should have come with clamps to fit both standard round rails and 7x9 carbon rails.

zalle

by zalle

But the rails seem wider than the clamp...

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

zalle wrote:But the rails seem wider than the clamp...

Wider? the clamp tightens form the sides, I'm not sure what you mean by wider.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Maybe a photo of the rails next to the clamp will help?

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Those look very similar to the ears (clamps) on Bontrager seatposts. If you can't get the correct ears from Specialized, you could try Bontrager seatpost ears (for carbon rails).

Slack

by Slack

sanrensho wrote:Those look very similar to the ears (clamps) on Bontrager seatposts. If you can't get the correct ears from Specialized, you could try Bontrager seatpost ears (for carbon rails).

Specialized offer 7x9 clamps that will fit your saddle, although they would have come with the post if you bought it after market. If it was fitted as part of a complete bike they won't come with the ears. You can order them though, the part number is 2812-9050.

The Bontrager/Trek ears will not fit your saddle as they use 7x10 carbon rails, it will fit but in every case I've seen it's ended up damaging the saddle rails.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Slack wrote:
sanrensho wrote:Those look very similar to the ears (clamps) on Bontrager seatposts. If you can't get the correct ears from Specialized, you could try Bontrager seatpost ears (for carbon rails).

Specialized offer 7x9 clamps that will fit your saddle, although they would have come with the post if you bought it after market. If it was fitted as part of a complete bike they won't come with the ears. You can order them though, the part number is 2812-9050.

Actually, I think it depends on which model complete bike... I believe the S-Works completes and frame sets comes with both.

Slack

by Slack

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Slack wrote:

Actually, I think it depends on which model complete bike... I believe the S-Works completes and frame sets comes with both.

The framesets do, the bikes don't. We had to order them last year for people wanting to swap saddles.

zalle

by zalle

I have a 2016 Roubaix SL4 that came with the CG-R seatpost. Maybe the clamp is not suitable then?

Slack

by Slack

zalle wrote:I have a 2016 Roubaix SL4 that came with the CG-R seatpost. Maybe the clamp is not suitable then?

Go to your Specialized dealer, ask them to order this part 2812-9050. It has the bits you need to fit your saddle.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

zalle wrote:I have a 2016 Roubaix SL4 that came with the CG-R seatpost. Maybe the clamp is not suitable then?

This is really so simple, I don't understand what's confusing you. If you have a 7x9 saddle, you need the carbon rail adapter from Specialized, some frame sets come with both carbon and alloy clamps and some models only come with the alloy clamp. if you've bought the seat post seperately, then it should have come with both.

My advice, at this point, would be that you head to your local Specialized dealer to get this sorted because its clearly over your head. The adapter costs a few bucks, but if you're a good customer, they'd likely just swap it for you for free.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Slack wrote:The Bontrager/Trek ears will not fit your saddle as they use 7x10 carbon rails, it will fit but in every case I've seen it's ended up damaging the saddle rails.

I run the Bontrager/Trek ears with my Romin Pro. Using the 7x10 ears. Haven't noticed any damage to the rails and fail to see how any damage might occur. How many cases of damaged rails have you seen and specifically what is the damage? Would be great if you could show us a pic of the damage.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Slack

by Slack

Calnago wrote:
Slack wrote:The Bontrager/Trek ears will not fit your saddle as they use 7x10 carbon rails, it will fit but in every case I've seen it's ended up damaging the saddle rails.

I run the Bontrager/Trek ears with my Romin Pro. Using the 7x10 ears. Haven't noticed any damage to the rails and fail to see how any damage might occur. How many cases of damaged rails have you seen and specifically what is the damage? Would be great if you could show us a pic of the damage.

I haven't got a photo to hand to show you damage, so I have drawn you a world class illustration of the problem. It tends to cause damage when you hit a pot hole or similar that causes the saddle to tip in either direction nose up/down, or from over tightening (to stop movement) damaging the rails or under tightening so the saddle can move in the clamp causing damage as shown in my excellent technical drawing.
Attachments
IMG_7142.JPG

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Bontrager/Trek also sells 7x9 ears for some of their seatposts. Using 7x10 ears for 7x9 rails leaves room for the rails to slip, resulting in the problems Slack mentioned above. In some cases rail slippage during a ride can cause the saddle to feel uncomfortable, and if undetected, result in the rider blaming the saddle for the discomfort. Most people unfamiliar with 7x9 and 7x10 side-load clamps seem unaware of this issue...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com