HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:18 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Quote:
I use slickoleum also known as buzzy's honey.

That's a calcium grease similar to Galli (among others) in Europe. I quite like those as well.

For the Ceramic bearings you really ought to give Krytox grease (or oil if you're feeling adventurous) a shot. It's really great as it bonds to metal reducing friction noticeably.

Ciao, ;)

Last edited by fdegrove on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:45 am 

I would love to have tried the Kytox. Problem is getting some to try in AU, and then getting some in a sell-able size to sell in the shop. When it comes to grease etc customer would really like to spend on say $15-Kytox is pretty expensive to have in a size that would retail for that much even if I could get it. A 1 or 2oz tube would be perfect.

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:45 am 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:09 pm 

Hi Phill P, I am getting the Krytox 105/205 from amazon (USPS to Oz) and they are 1oz/28g and 2oz/56g quantities ... http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=krytox+gpl&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Akrytox+gpl

thanks KL :)

Last edited by KLabs on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:12 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Maybe Dupont de Nemours has a sales office, agency or whatever in Oz?

This is the Krytox grease Ceramic Speed offers:

It contains 10ml of 225 Krytox grease which is ample for servicing a single bike in most cases. Like everything else Ceramic Speed it is a bit pricey at 8 Euro a pop but I think it's worth it though.

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:31 am 

Looks similar (or exactly the same) to what you get with a ceramic SRAM bottom bracket?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

It is exactly the same Krytox grease FSA uses for their ceramic hybrid bearings which AFAIK are ABI Enduro sourced.
I guess it's type GPL 225 or something at Dupont's.

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:00 am 

I have just used the Krytox105 oil on the pawls and seals, in conjunction with R&R Red Devil grease, and repacked the main ABEC5 Sealed Bearings with Krytox205 grease.
So far, it seems to be very good and very smooth. The R&R Red Devil grease makes the pawls very quiet without affecting their spring action :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 pm 

I just put in an order for Ceramicspeed grease together with some Enduro grade 5 bearings. Let's see if I can get my Dura Ace 7700 hubs even smoother than they already are :)

Check it out: the most amazing vintage Colnago, Merckx and Pinarello collection

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:10 pm 

BobDopolina wrote:
...Shimano, Novatec and most others use thicker greases with varying adhesion properties and higher viscosities. They also use more of it. This makes a quieter mechanism.

Bob - can you advise/recommend which to use on Novatec hubs (A291SB-SL / F482SB-SL)?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:21 pm 

SWijland wrote:
I just put in an order for Ceramicspeed grease together with some Enduro grade 5 bearings. Let's see if I can get my Dura Ace 7700 hubs even smoother than they already are :)

Hi SWijland, ABEC5 Sealed Bearings use Grade10 SS balls ... let us know how it goes :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:52 pm 

KLabs wrote:
I have just used the Krytox105 oil on the pawls and seals, in conjunction with R&R Red Devil grease, and repacked the main ABEC5 Sealed Bearings with Krytox205 grease.
So far, it seems to be very good and very smooth. The R&R Red Devil grease makes the pawls very quiet without affecting their spring action :)

Hi All, after some testing with using the Krytox105 oil and 205 grease, well, I have changed my mind.
I would not use Krytox205 grease anywhere on a bike, but maybe the Krytox225 grease is ok :)
I have found that the Belray Waterproof grease (or the Nulon Extreme Performance Grease) is better (much better).

This is what I did and recommend (unless the manufacturer states otherwise) ...
For sealed or loose bearings I use Belray Waterproof grease (or the Nulon Extreme Performance Grease).
The FreeHub I have has a needle bearing so I applied a generous amount of Belray Waterproof grease to this bearing.
For the pawls I smeared a generous amount R&R Red Devil grease around them (it does not stick), a small amount on the ratchet teeth, and a small amount on the seal.
At least for my hub it now spins and freewheels nicely :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:20 pm 

Just found this thread so a little late coming to the party but any advice would be greatly appreciated. A recent change from Shimano to Campag necessitated switching the three pawl freehub on my Dati hubs. Whilst the new freehub pedalled and freewheeled up nicely on the workstand, it was a much different story actually riding the bike on the road. When I stop pedalling the freehub appears to intermettently jam up causing the chain to slap onto the top of the chainstay. I’ve tried several lubricants ranging from motor oil to regular grease but the problem persists. Having read this thread, and selecting from lubricants that are readily available in the UK, my thinking is as follows:

1. Thoroughly degrease pawls and hub rachet
2. A very small drop of Finish Line Ceramic Wet Lube in the seats which holds the each pawl on the freehub body
3. A smear of RnR Red Devil grease on the rachet surface of the pawls and also on the hub rachet

Comments please. Thanks.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5