Help a Newbie Out: Shimano 105 5600 RD Adjustment

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dallez

by Dallez

Well stupidly I took my rear wheel off my Allez tonight to mock up a build on a new frame. When I put it back on I realized I forgot to remember which cog it had been set in. I realized I should have shifted down to the smallest cog before I did this, but now it was too late. I had to guess which one it was in and I knew it was one of two, but it looks like I guessed wrong.

Well now after trying to adjust the high and low limit screws myself along with the B tension screw, it seems I've completely fubar'd it. I cannot shift into the largest cog (27t) and it seems like I might have even adjusted so poorly that now it will want to shift past the smallest cog (12t). The RD has worked great since I bought the bike and I've never had to adjust but now I don't know what to do.

I feel like this isn't rocket science and I should be able to correct this without having to take this to the LBS. What I would like to know is where to start? When I move the right shifter paddle (shimano 105 5600 series) in as many clicks as it will go I know I should be in the my largest cog, but it seems to want to stay in the next one down. When I physically move the chain to the largest cog then start spinning the crank, it slips down again. Also, I cannot tell when looking down at my chain line and the RD pulleys what the HI or LOW limit screws are actually doing. I'd love for someone to explain if you turn it CW, it moves the RD left or right and vise versa. Where should I start to correct my mistake?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mattr

by mattr

Try the parktools website, they have a guide.

And TBH, taking the wheel out and in doesn't affect the set up of the rear mech, you should have just lifted the back wheel and given the crank a couple or three turns, would have sorted itself out.

All the fiddling you've done was a waste of time........ sorry.

At least you'll learn how to do it for next time :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ur-systems
Somewhere in there you will find all you need to know.

quattrings

by quattrings

first off all put the wheel in, properly tighten down the quick release.
Make sure the chain is on the smallest cog and the tension of the cable is slack when it's in this gear by using the turnscrew on the end of your cable, screwing into the derailler.

Then you're going to have to set the limits for the derailler. H(igh) is for the small cog, L(ow) is for the large cog. Turn them clockwise to restrict the rear deraillers movement. Counterclockwise gives the derailler more space.
The upper pulley of your rear derailller should line up with the according cogs as best as you can. So you turn the L screw for the the big cog and the H screw for the small cog.

What you want to do then is start giving it more cable tension, to the point you hear it wanting to skip to the next (larger) cog, and back it off just a half turn or so.

Et voila, Your derailler is set.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

For future reference, you should never need to re-adjust your rear derailleur just for taking the wheel off. No matter what sprocket the chain was in when you removed the wheel, all you need to do is put the wheel back in and spin the cranks until it stops shifting. It'll sort itself out. Oh, and if you're worried about it you can always upshift all the way while the wheel is off so that the derailleur is in the smallest cog, which does make putting the wheel on a bit easier.

Dallez

by Dallez

Thanks for the tips!

I will try it tonight after work to see if I can get it running smoothly again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com