Frustrated Canadian - CAAD 10's in Vancouver??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

Hi All,

Looking to see if anyone else on here has been having the same issues with obtaining their CAAD10 as I have.

Back in July of 2012 I ordered a CAAD10 105 (52cm) in Liquigas colors from my local bike shop. (Greater Vancouver area)
The salesman advised that the bike would arrive in early August, which I was quite fine with, as I was travelling to Turkey on vacation until mid-Aug anyway.
Months of excuses ("it's coming in Sept, Oct, Dec....") and missed deadlines later, here I am at the end of February with no CAAD10 still.

The shop has lent me a demo bike to use in the mean-time, so that at least I have been able to keep riding, but the wait got ridiculous ages ago, and now it's just ludicrous.

I emailed cannondale directly (back in dec) and the rep advised they're having issues with the supply chain.
He said it would be here first week of Feb, and when I emailed him a few weeks ago, he said it was delayed again.

Is anyone else in the same boat as me on this???

All the reviews I've read indicate that the c-dale is the bike I'm looking for, but I'm ready to give-up and look for something else, even if I do have to spend more to get the same level of bike. (suggestions appreciated in this regard!)

Thanks in advance,

Yarks
2013 CAAD 10 105
My wallet gets more weight-weenie by the day.

crohnsy

by crohnsy

I had that problem in early 2012 as well trying to get a 52.. Bought an Allez instead.. Was very pleased with the Allez and the 2013's look even better!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Doolop

by Doolop

Cannondale is notorious for this kind of thing. Start looking towards other options.

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

Wanted a CAAD10 when they first came out.....after 6 months of waiting I bought an Allez. Still wish I could of gotten the CAAD10, but oh well.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I know the China VS USA thing gets beat to death on here. Quality aside. This is the biggest difference between USA and China built for a company like C-dale.
The quality likely hasn't changed. And being a former, long time, cannondale dealer I'm sure the quality has likely gotten better since moving production to China. However, that having been said. I never waited more than a month for a bike. And I'm in Canada as well.
Why? Because they were made in the USA out of 6061 T6 aluminum. There are two significant things going on here. One,,, The factory would often weld up new bikes for our orders on the spot. On quite a few occasions they would call me and ask if I wanted any special colors whereas they were going to make them specifically for my order. And secondly. 6061 T-6. I haven't had a good look at a CAAD 10 yet, so I don't know if they've switched to the Chinese friendly 7000 series aluminum yet or if they're still using 6061. This is important for fast supply chains, because 6061 can be heat treated after welding, chemically aged, painted and out the door in a couple of days. There's no way to chemically age 7000 series aluminum, so you usually end up having to cure them for a month before use. So,, you seldomly see a North American builder using 7000 alloy due to the space required to store them all for a month (there obviously are a few exceptions with smaller builders) and you hardly ever see Asian builders using 6061. A. Because it's not as strong as 7000. And B. Because of the complexity of chemical aging.
That my friend. Is why you are waiting so long for your CAAD 10.
BTW. You can thank our Canadian friends at Dorel for all of this.lol

dvincere

by dvincere

CAAD10's are 6069 aluminum.

The reason he's waiting so long for a CAAD10 is because Cannondale orders xxxxx CAAD10s. The tooling happens, the building and shipping happens, thent he factory goes to something else. That's it. There is no more building extra frames now. Add to that it takes the factories quite a while to switch tooling, and sometimes staffing, AND they are shutdown the entirety of the lunar New Year and it's quite easy to understand why you aren't getting your CAAD10 right now.

As a CAAD10 owner (who on here isn't?) I assure you it's worth the wait. It's the best bike for the price in North America bar none.

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

Thanks for chiming in all.
It's somewhat reassuring to know it's not just me.
I'm going to get in touch with the rep again the first week of March and see if anything's changed as far as real eta goes.
The horrible weather we've had of late has a done a bit to increase my patience for the time being ;)

Any further suggestions appreciated.
In the mean-time, when I'm looking for excuses to procrastinate and avoid my thesis, I'll keep my eye on the market.
A local shop is blowing out last year's BMC's and some Focus bikes too, so I might pop down and see what they're all about.

As for Dorel...well...what do we expect from a firm that specializes in baby carriages! :noidea:

*EDIT*
Anyone had any luck bringing them up from the US?
Maybe my solution is down in Washington state somewhere...
2013 CAAD 10 105

Buffalo

by Buffalo

Dude, I just checked BSP's website and they have the following in stock: 2012 CAAD10 5 brushed aluminum 52cm.

Why don't use just get this bike? This is weight weenies so I think every one will agree to just get this one because it's lighter than the liquigas replica version you are on hold for.

I have this exact bike and I got it at BSP in Vancouver, you should just do it. It's on sale too.
http://bspbikes.com/product/12cannondal ... 0044-1.htm

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

boolinwall wrote:I know the China VS USA thing gets beat to death on here.

You do? Or are you just making assumptions?

boolinwall wrote: BTW. You can thank our Canadian friends at Dorel for all of this.lol

Or you can get back to reality and know how the manufacturing world works and how relatively small a year's run of CAAD10s is to a factory producing them. :roll:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

Buffalo wrote:Dude, I just checked BSP's website and they have the following in stock: 2012 CAAD10 5 brushed aluminum 52cm.

Why don't use just get this bike? This is weight weenies so I think every one will agree to just get this one because it's lighter than the liquigas replica version you are on hold for.

I have this exact bike and I got it at BSP in Vancouver, you should just do it. It's on sale too.
http://bspbikes.com/product/12cannondal ... 0044-1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the suggestion!

I was thinking of popping down there this week actually after crawling through the web on local stores and seeing they had some.
Price is the same as what I'm getting mine for (which I'm happy with).
It's SRAM though which frankly I have no experience with, all my prev bikes have been Shimano by default. - Is there much of a difference in a practical sense? I tried a SRAM equipped bike on a demo and found the shift action a bit stiff, but otherwise similar.
Bare aluminum worries me a bit, I like the idea of a coat of paint from a protection standpoint (and am willing to take a bit of a weight penalty for it). Also, being colorblind, I've always gone for fairly bright bike colors as somewhat of a trademark (even if I don't see them properly - my orange Devinci with the flame-job was a testament to that) and if I'm going to spend more on a bike than I did on my winter car, I might as well like looking at it! That said, I suspect the stock photos may not do the BA justice, so certainly willing to take a look in person.
2013 CAAD 10 105

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

Guess I'll intro myself a bit while I'm at it.

Long-time lurker, first time poster. - seems a familiar story!
Just getting back into bikes after a 15 yr hiatus racing cars.
Raced mtb's xcountry in the past, and rode road bikes for fun.

Now, looking to do a lot of road biking for training (still racing cars, now entering an endurance series), and to start some local races and perhaps longer events. (I enjoy competition by nature, and pretty much race anything I can find, so it's unlikely I could stay away from it for too long ;)

Taking the same approach to bikes as I did cars, start with something reasonably affordable and competitive (given the biggest hurdle will be fitness, for the time being), and something I can learn on. If I ever get to a point where I am faster than the bike, i'll look at upgrades, then trading up.
2013 CAAD 10 105

Buffalo

by Buffalo

SRAM rival is ok. I took off the rear dérailleur and shifters and replaced with Red, keeping the rival fd, but I think you'd be happy with the group. I gave the rival stuff to a new cyclist friend and he's pretty stoked on it as he compares it to the shit bikes we rode as kids.

And the frame is clear coated and after a year it seems to be doing ok. Maybe you can make a project out of painting this frame?

dvincere

by dvincere

SRAM Rival is good enough at all levels of racing where you're buying your own gear. It's light and it works. Cheap to replace, too. As for the aluminum on the CAAD10's, it isn't bare, it has a layer of clearcoat over it.

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Had the same issue with all the local stores selling Cannondale. Went in to order the bike with the promise that it would arrive within 2 months tops. Six months later and still without the bike I ordered. They said they were willing to give me a discount on other bikes (an extra $50 off any other bike they had on the floors). I guess I finally had enough and decided to take matters into my own hands, so I went down into Washington and bought a bike there. It worked out to be the same price as if I bought it in Vancouver, the difference being that I have something to ride vs waiting for something to ride.

I think if you're waiting this long, the chances of you getting the color and size you want may be slim. The CAAD10 is an amazing bike, but waiting this long is a little ridiculous.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

boolinwall

by boolinwall

And in the category of completely missing my point. We have this guy.
I realize that a years supply of CAAD 10's is fairly small for an Asian factory. My point was, if you'd bothered to read it, that when they were made in the USA, they could do production runs whenever they wanted as apposed to making them all at once and then no more until next year.
The only time we ever waited more than a month for a bike was when the components weren't available. It was never an issue with frame production. Plus, they didn't have to ship them across the ocean.
Now,, there was a downside to all of this. On the mountain bikes at least, the brake bosses were commonly welded on just abit off center. You could always get them, you just didn't always want them.lol

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com