Help with hollowgrams please!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digiadaamore

by digiadaamore

hello everyone, so i just picked a set of used si sl cranks and im running into a big issue. Apparently when the bike shop removed the cranks from the bike they were on, they only removed the drive side and then tapped out the spindle with the nds crank arm still attached as one unit. Now with out the crank on the its fairly impossible to get leverage on the arm to remove the crank arm bolt and remove the arm. Can you install the spindle with the nds arm attached? or will the arm be damaged if you have tap on it to seat the spindle? secondary to that they also slid the bearings back onto the spindle after removing it, i guess because they thought that was a good idea but now its proving damn near impossible get the bearings off the spindle! any tips guys? i thought about the freezer but that will also contract the bearing races as well and still have the same problem. im feeling a wee bit pissed about this and im not sure what the best thing to do is. thanks

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Are you replacing the spindle? Otherwise I would leave it attached to the arm and a compressed air can upside down to the inside of the spindle end to shrink it to make the bearings slide off. Then buy a sram bb30 kit at the shop so you start off with new bearings a shields and nothing is warped. Then put them back together on the frame. The drive side on the older sisl goes on last.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

digiadaamore

by digiadaamore

Ok, so you are saying it is ok to install the spindle with the arm attached? that was my main question because ive only seen the spindle istalled without the arm attached. the compressed air can is a good idea that i will definetly give a shot. i already have new bearings washer etc... all ready to go

digiadaamore

by digiadaamore

Ok i managed to remove the bearings, i did try using the air can to cool the spindle while trying to remove the stuck bearings. Is it possible to have damaged the spindle by cooling in such a manner?

SDP

by SDP

nah ..it will be fine ..