replacing fulcrum zero QR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

project3

by project3

I am considering to replace my fulcrum racing zero QR to KCNC Ti mainly due to the weight. I know KCNC 1 pair QR is about 48g and not sure about zero QR. Worth to change?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

totoboa

by totoboa

What do your Fulcrums weigh ???

Edit: you do have a scale ?????

c50jim

by c50jim

The Fulcrum skewers would weigh in the 115 gram range. That's where mine were.

I tried KCNC a couple of years ago. I'm a big guy (6'2", 185 pounds) and was never completely confident how well the light skewers held my wheels. I sold them. The lightest I've been comfortable with are the older Zipp ti skewers that weigh about 80 grams but I've pretty well given up on light skewers. I figure I should just lose some weight myself.

totoboa

by totoboa

I know this has been beaten to death here and other forums. The "strength" required of these CLAMPING devices is minimal and well within the capacities of even the lightest or least expensive skewers. The loads, which can be substantial, are carried through the fork and axle (s). The cost per gram is loss is probably the best available after replacement of heavy tires and maybe wheelsets. I have in route 43g for the set Ti skewers from Fleabay for $18 + $5 shipping.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

KCNC skewers are great. Fantastic value for money and look much better than bulky OEM skewers. Never had an issue in >15000 km. I weigh 72kg.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

totoboa

by totoboa

Skewers in today, ordered Feb 16. That's Hong Kong to California. The front weighs 20 and the rear 22g. $18.50 + $5 shipping. Amazing. I'll post up from the ER when they go zing and my wheel detaches and launches me into the nearest ditch.

project3

by project3

115g for fulcrum skewer vs. kcnc about 44g / = 70g weight saving and cost me about USD45 is consider a good weight saving/ price pay. Will place an order soon.

I have a set of kcnc skewer on my mtb and doesnt give me any problem.

RyanH

by RyanH

Just my 2c, I feel there's a big difference in quality between the flea bay skewers and the kcnc ones. The clamping mechanism on the China specials was not consistent through the lever pull, and the brass washer became deformed rather quickly. I would not recommend them and would suggest spending the extra on the kcnc skewers. A $40 premium is worth the piece of mind in my opinion.

totoboa

by totoboa

So I have ridden them what, a few weeks ? But now I worry about them just because of the nay sayers here :D Scored a second pair last night for $16 + $5 shipping. I don't worry about consistent pull, just the final closing clamping force. Nothing has deformed. One thing I don't understand. I don't pull my wheels off every 5 minutes or even once a week, so I don't see what the big deal is about clamping. In fact, I haven't touched my front wheel yet. The back only for a flat.

This is weight weenies right ?

My old Bikes Direct skewers were 66g each, or 132g. The replacements are 42g.

That's 90g for $21 or $23, or $0.25g. There is no weenie loss close to that for the price.

crispy

by crispy

Yep, didn't even take the tags off mine, as soon as they went on the scales it was a no brainer. Bought a pair of Planet X ones for £20 which are less than half the weight of the zero, and better looking IMO....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com