Mavic Zxellium Ultimate and Speedplay Cleats

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tdudzik

by tdudzik

Just got my new shoes in. Can anyone give some advice on the setup for these cleats? I got three pairs of screws. Short, Long, and the ones that came with the shoes themselves. Ideally, i'd like to use the mavic screws as those are obviously the correct length. However, I can't since they are rounded like a mushroom on the top and therefore the yellow part of the cleat doesn't sit flat on the black plate. Also, what shims should I use? The 1-R and 1-F fit pretty well, but the pamphlet says it may require the extra shim for the 2012 model. These should be 2013, so i'm not sure. It looks ok without it, but then again, I don't even know where the shim actually goes. Any advice would be great.

il professore

by il professore

had the same deal with my Huez and Zxellium w/ speedplay. Simple solution- grind down the mushroom part to be flat- (dremel). still plenty of depression for the allen wrench to get into.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Werdna

by Werdna

For the shims-
You won't need the thicker shims unless the cleat deforms when tightening it down.

Just make sure the top of the cleat sits flush with the contour of the shoe.

Greenduck

by Greenduck

I've just got a pair of Zxellium Ultimate and Speedplay pedals myself. At first I mounted my Look Delta cleats (for spinning) using the screws that came with the shoes. Two of the screws snapped and it was not anything near being overtightened. I then, just for fun and to try the Speedplays, mounted the Speedplay cleats using the included screws. No problems at all. And you don't need to use the shims.
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

tdudzik

by tdudzik

Greenduck wrote:I've just got a pair of Zxellium Ultimate and Speedplay pedals myself. At first I mounted my Look Delta cleats (for spinning) using the screws that came with the shoes. Two of the screws snapped and it was not anything near being overtightened. I then, just for fun and to try the Speedplays, mounted the Speedplay cleats using the included screws. No problems at all. And you don't need to use the shims.

did you use the long or short screws?