From Veloflex Black clincer to Pro4 or Pro4 Endurance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

what should I expect, I cant take how fast the veloflex is wearing out, I do love them, but just cant keep up, please advice friends, thank you

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

I used Veloflex Corsa 22 clinchers for two years without a flat. I recently purchased Veloflex Corsa 23, on the first ride I cut the rear tire so severely it had to be trashed. Bad luck, so I bought Veloflex Master 23 for that retro goodness, same thing - cut through the casing on the first ride. The newer Veloflex tires (23mm) seem thinner and softer than the older 22mm versions. Can anyone confirm this?

I've been riding Pro4 Service Course 23mm since late January on the same dirty roads without a problem. What can you expect? Longer life and less road feel, however kind of nice to just plow through rough pavement sometimes :)
Last edited by FilmAt11 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

digitalnorbs wrote:what should I expect, I cant take how fast the veloflex is wearing out, I do love them, but just cant keep up, please advice friends, thank you

Expect it to wear out the way you use it.
You can do years/ n miles with a single Veloflex tyre. You can also shred it in a day or two....

IOW, I don't think the wear pattern is brand related.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

What can you expect?

Maybe a bit more accuracy? As in 22mm Veloflex tyres predate 23mm wide ones for starters?

Ciao, ;)

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

D'oh. You're right...22, then the 23. Do you have any comments on the construction/rubber?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

One could write volumes on how tyres should not be made.
I can write a book on how lucky we are to still have tyres like these around.

Ciao, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

theremery

by theremery

Agreed. I think you have just been really unlucky. I use veloflex almost exclusively, nowadays (20mm versions mainly). Not puncture proof, but given how cheaply they are available from UK online stockists, they are the best value for money upgrade regardless of how quickly they puncture (on average....I really do think you've just had some local dickheads dropping glass).
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

@digitalnorbs
The Pro4 Endurance is the replacement for the Krylion. This tyre is more like a Conti 4 Seasons. Durable, v.good puncture protection but will not roll as well as the veloflex or Pro4 SC.
ie not very exiciting for a WW bike.

You need to try the Pro4 SC for yourself. It's the only way to see if they work for you.
Check the "best clinchers" threads to see the huge difference of opinions.

kgt

by kgt

In terms of ride quality (and rr I guess) there is no comparison at all. Veloflex is miles ahead.
I agree you had back lack, I found my Veloflex tires rather durable for their weight.

angrylegs

by angrylegs

kgt wrote:In terms of ride quality (and rr I guess) there is no comparison at all. Veloflex is miles ahead.
I agree you had back lack, I found my Veloflex tires rather durable for their weight.

Same. I love Veloflex Blacks for their weight and performance and had no flats last year riding them. Think it was a bit of bad luck.

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

OK, got another pair, will kep the veloflex love alive=)

nspace

by nspace

Been very "lucky" with Veloflex as well. Rode all last season with Corsa 23 and only one flat (which was my fault when the tire eventually wore through and needed to be replaced). That was on a fair bit of rough roads as well as quite a bit of gravel. I put on a new set of masters and so far so good with similar experience. No flats on those yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com